Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I have no desire to play with some programmed tools. Nothing is ever the same in multiplayer and strategies are always changing. My favorite feature of multiplayer is talking jive to nerds and getting a rise out of them.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Despite it's problems, it's so far the best game of this console generation. EDIT: Ugh, the camera in the NG+ Flamelurker fight is enough to make me hate the game all over again. What were they thinking with this?
    Wow that's high praise, and you're usually a pretty picky guy. I'm glad you like it though. This generation has had some breakthrough games in many respects, but in terms of success in creating a video game that I enjoy the way I like to enjoy video games, Demon's Souls is tops. Sounds weird when I say it but that's the only way I can think of to describe it. It has that classic video gamey experience that a lot of these current movie-game amalgamations completely lack. Don't get me wrong I love me some MGS4 and Uncharted and whatnot, but nothing is quite as fun as addictive, punishingly hard exploration-heavy adventure/RPGs.

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

Wow that's high praise, and you're usually a pretty picky guy. I'm glad you like it though. This generation has had some breakthrough games in many respects, but in terms of success in creating a video game that I enjoy the way I like to enjoy video games, Demon's Souls is tops. Sounds weird when I say it but that's the only way I can think of to describe it. It has that classic video gamey experience that a lot of these current movie-game amalgamations completely lack. Don't get me wrong I love me some MGS4 and Uncharted and whatnot, but nothing is quite as fun as addictive, punishingly hard exploration-heavy adventure/RPGs.
    You're so on point with this. Demon's Souls is great because it actually behaves like a game -- rather than imitating film, it tells a story in a way that plays to the strengths of the medium (through use of exploration, atmosphere, game rules etc.), often in new ways that could not have been done in previous console generations. In some respects I think it's in games like DS that the real progress is happening, while games like Uncharted are holding gaming back as a storytelling medium. Haha and yes I'm extremely picky.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Yea, i get really tired of the wannabe movie games with miles of dialog, cut scenes and other stuff so you can never build good gameplaying momentum. One of the reasons i could never really get that into xenogears/saga

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I like them and I think they have their place, they're an important part of this generation and have been a defining style of video game making in recent years.

That said, when I think of my favorite games, I don't think of games where I'm saying "Oh this camera angle is great," "Oh these voice actors are very talented," etc. etc. Instead I prefer to be thinking about the elements of gameplay, like "wow, feels good to finally slash this fucker up," or those cathartic "holy shit" moments you get when your creativity in playstyle is being rewarded.

Big budget Hollywood-style games are severely lacking in rewarding your creativity in playstyle. My favorite games over the past few years have all been games which really make you feel satisfied to beat in your own unique way. Persona 3/4, Metal Gear Solid (all of them), and Demon's Souls all allow you to manipulate your playstyle enough to do things in your own unique manner.. to me, that's good game design.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

Yea, i get really tired of the wannabe movie games with miles of dialog, cut scenes and other stuff so you can never build good gameplaying momentum. One of the reasons i could never really get that into xenogears/saga
    Long cutscenes and dialog are bad, but I think the worst thing is the scripting of actual gameplay events. Things like the free-running in Assassin's Creed, micro-cutscenes during action sequences, QTEs in countless games, they essentially take away the player's freedom in order to create a spectacle. The player is relegated to mostly-passive observer during some of the most exciting moments, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what games should be about.

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Yea, i mean even a game like Dragon Quest VIII which i really enjoyed had a very simple dragon quest-esque story, simple gameplay, but was still interesting and kept my attention because the flow of the game seemed good, the story while not as artistic was interesting and fun in the J-RPG way, and there was a big emphasis on exploring a massive landscape.

I'm still really annoyed that dragon quest IX is delayed again. Not that i'm surprised as it was originally slated for a christmas 07 release or something but was pushed back to christmas 08, then summer 09, then christmas 09, now summer10. So frustrating

I'm trying to get into fallout 3. I have it now and it's kinda neat but i dunno.

8. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Someone on my friends list already has COD4 II. [​IMG]

9. Alias

Alias Senior member

Dragon Age is shit. But I can't stop playing.

10. Psyren

Psyren Senior member

Someone on my friends list already has COD4 II. [​IMG]

Yeah same, he's probably in NY, they don't believe in street dates there.

11. Alias

Alias Senior member

Contrary to sentiment expressed in this thread, I enjoy cinematic games. I enjoy playing an interactive movie. It's when the line between cinema and gameplay becomes stark and irreconcilable that I become frustrated.

Take Dragon Age. I'm sure it's a great game. But when my entire party is relegated to chugging red potions to take on a horde of giant spiders on the fifth attempt after dying four previous times and sitting through four previous minute-long load screens, my vision starts turning purple and I feel my fist wanting to go through my screen, through the internet, and into some Bioware employee's teeth while I shout at him "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?"

The story is awesome and the world is believable with all its intrigue and grey-shaded morality but the combat is dull and the encounters are repetitive. Oh great we're underground, again. In some ruins, again. Fighting orc-wannabes, again. Wait my party got mauled from full to death in 5 seconds, time to reload and watch tv while the pretty icon spins and the screen displays such helpful hints like "If you find an encounter is too difficult, try turning down the difficulty level" and "Health poultices can make hard battles easier." (I've done both; more ranting about this later.)

I don't want to have to sit through such drudgery in order to explore the great story the game has to offer. I don't want to have to suffer through an archaic inventory system and a quickcast bar that was designed by someone who couldn't count over 14. I want the combat, the gameplay, and the interface to augment my immersion into the game's living, breathing world.

Dragon Age fails to do so. But I'll keep playing it.

(Oh, and about that difficulty level: It only manages to make the game's fights utterly easy while leaving the boss fights teeth-clenchingly difficult. So combat becomes an exercise in boredom interspersed with frustration, which I guess is better than constant frustration. I'm also defragging my hard drive to help with loading times.)

Final verdict: 8 out of 24 bananas.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

Contrary to sentiment expressed in this thread, I enjoy cinematic games. I enjoy playing an interactive movie. It's when the line between cinema and gameplay becomes stark and irreconcilable that I become frustrated.

Take Dragon Age. I'm sure it's a great game. But when my entire party is relegated to chugging red potions to take on a horde of giant spiders on the fifth attempt after dying four previous times and sitting through four previous minute-long load screens, my vision starts turning purple and I feel my fist wanting to go through my screen, through the internet, and into some Bioware employee's teeth while I shout at him "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?"

The story is awesome and the world is believable with all its intrigue and grey-shaded morality but the combat is dull and the encounters are repetitive. Oh great we're underground, again. In some ruins, again. Fighting orc-wannabes, again. Wait my party got mauled from full to death in 5 seconds, time to reload and watch tv while the pretty icon spins and the screen displays such helpful hints like "If you find an encounter is too difficult, try turning down the difficulty level" and "Health poultices can make hard battles easier." (I've done both; more ranting about this later.)

I don't want to have to sit through such drudgery in order to explore the great story the game has to offer. I don't want to have to suffer through an archaic inventory system and a quickcast bar that was designed by someone who couldn't count over 14. I want the combat, the gameplay, and the interface to augment my immersion into the game's living, breathing world.

Dragon Age fails to do so. But I'll keep playing it.

(Oh, and about that difficulty level: It only manages to make the game's fights utterly easy while leaving the boss fights teeth-clenchingly difficult. So combat becomes an exercise in boredom interspersed with frustration, which I guess is better than constant frustration. I'm also defragging my hard drive to help with loading times.)

Final verdict: 8 out of 24 bananas.

I think I could have told you that D&D videogames were not for you before you bought this one.

13. Alias

Alias Senior member

I think I could have told you that D&D videogames were not for you before you bought this one.

But that's the thing: I've played Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Icewind Dale. They were all great. I've had no difficulties playing them even with friendly fire and all that. And how is a terrible inventory system D&D in nature? What is D&D to you anyways?

You do know that Dragon Age isn't D&D based, right?

So I understand how Bioware was attempting to create a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games. They've succeeded, and all too well, because in doing so they've replicated not only the good things but the bad. Excusable for a product 10 years ago, inexcusable today.

14. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

No talk on the new Mario. It's taken twenty years to achieve a multiplayer in one of these things. Hold your heads in shame. I can't wait.

15. dusty

dusty Senior member

You do know that Dragon Age isn't D&D based, right?
    Yes I know that it's not technically a D&D product, but it's obviously the same genre. As you mentioned, it's the successor to Baldur's Gate, which was a licensed D&D game. Anyway, when I read something like:
    Oh great we're underground, again. In some ruins, again. Fighting orc-wannabes, again.
    it sounds like you didn't know you were getting into a traditional dungeon crawler.