Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Alias

Alias Senior member

P4 is worth getting and playing through. It is a charming game. However, it may be a little embarrassing to play in front of others.

In contrast, Persona 3 is hilarious to play in front of others, especially when they see high school kids repeatedly shoot themselves in the head.

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Persona 4 post-mortem at Gamasutra for you nerds.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

How good will video games be when they manage to find reasonably competent voice acting? Discuss.

(also ongoing props to Fallout / Fallout 2 which had spectacular voice acting though Fallout 3 was hit and miss)

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

How good will video games be when they manage to find reasonably competent voice acting? Discuss.

(also ongoing props to Fallout / Fallout 2 which had spectacular voice acting though Fallout 3 was hit and miss)

As long as they don't hire terrible anime VA's games should be fine, but some (like maybe 4) are damn good. A lot of it also has to do with the direction. Taking Persona 4 as an example, the best voices in that game were done by VA's who took the time to play the Japanese version to see what their characters did and how. The ones that weren't so great, didn't.

6. Helix

Helix Senior member

Arkham Asylum's VA was great but that's not surprising. Nice to hear Mark Hamill as Joker.

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Among Thieves.

8. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Arkham Asylum's VA was great but that's not surprising. Nice to hear Mark Hamill as Joker.

I thought Hamill did his best work for Joker in the game. I loved every word! Conroy on the other hand played Batman a little too calm and upbeat. His voice was not nearly as deep as it was for the cartoons.

I like my voice acting either way. Really bad voice acting can be very entertaining, kind of like watching a soap opera.

"Blood, hope this isn't....Chris's blood."

9. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

10. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I thought Hamill did his best work for Joker in the game. I loved every word! Conroy on the other hand played Batman a little too calm and upbeat. His voice was not nearly as deep as it was for the cartoons. I like my voice acting either way. Really bad voice acting can be very entertaining, kind of like watching a soap opera. "Blood, hope this isn't....Chris's blood."
    Comedy gold.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

11. dusty

dusty Senior member

I've played Demon's Souls for about 7 hours and have beaten one boss. I still don't know what I think about this game; there's a lot of hard in a good way, but there's also plenty of hard in a cheap way and hard in a stupid design choices way. The locking system and camera controls fuck you over so many times, and that's a big deal in a game where you're expected to not make mistakes. If you expect the player to be perfect than your mechanics had damn well better be flawless. And no heat-of-action control should ever, ever be mapped to control stick clicks. That said, it's incredibly addictive, the combat is fun, and it oozes atmosphere. I was positively taken aback when I stepped outside the castle and saw two giant dragons just casually lying about on the neighboring hillside, surrounded with charred corpses.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

^^ which class did you pick? The game is hard, no doubt, but if you pick a Royal, it's quite a bit easier since they're customizable and start at SL1.

13. breakz

breakz Senior member

Humongous following for Demon's Souls among the indie VG community. A bunch of them imported it and loved it.

Brian, can this game fill the "lonely dungeon-crawler (like old-school Diablo)" void on my PS3?

14. dusty

dusty Senior member

^^ which class did you pick? The game is hard, no doubt, but if you pick a Royal, it's quite a bit easier since they're customizable and start at SL1.
    Wanderer. Should I start over as a royal?
    Humongous following for Demon's Souls among the indie VG community. A bunch of them imported it and loved it. Brian, can this game fill the "lonely dungeon-crawler (like old-school Diablo)" void on my PS3?
    It's definitely a dungeon crawler but I wouldn't say it's anything like Diablo.

15. surfnbank

surfnbank Senior member

I am currently enjoying my wii when I have time to play. I just bought the sports resorts and that will probably keep me entertained for awhile in addition to trying everything out with the wii motion now.