Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Cool. If I get another Ps3 I'll check them out.

2. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Been playing Resident Evil 5 (PC) as of a week or so ago. It made me miss RE4. RE4 always made me want to keep going, but RE5 bored me very often. RE4 had a lot of inspired scenes and boss fights, but RE5 just did copies of less interesting games. They streamlined it a lot, and took out the things which made RE4 more deep and interesting. Still a great game, but it's just not nearly as good as RE4. And I'm somehow forgiving the fucking stupid team mechanics/item management which tries to make the game more difficult by giving you no control over the CPU partner and having her waste all your fucking green herbs before you can stop her from picking them up. Not to mention, Chris/Sheva have even less character than Leon and the president's daughter. LEOOOOOOOOOOON!!! HEEEELP!!!

3. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

It was announced a little over an hour ago that the DotA dev is now heading up a team at Valve. God damn, their next round of announcements is going to be amazing (Episode 3, Counter-Strike 2... whatever this is.) Craziness.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Dead Space Extraction (Wii) looks incredible. I cant believe it, but this is a genuinely AAA mature game on the Wii - voice acting, graphics, storyline, gameplay, everything is tight as fuck and really well-done.
    I finished Dead Space (360) a couple of weeks ago. The atmosphere was cool but I think I'm done with these types of fetching games. "We need to go out this door in the lower level. But it's locked!" "There's a computer terminal on the far side of the complex that can override the lock." "Why it's clear on the other side I don't know!" "Oh no, we're here but the computer needs a new chip. It's 6 levels up from here because we like to keep spare parts as far away as possible." ad nauseum [​IMG]

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I just got that new Halo ODST. It's hot! I'm shootin' throwing granades. Nuts.

So I just beat Halo ODST and I have to highly recommend it. There's a firefight mode that works a lot like Hoarde does for Gears of War 2. The only problem is that you can't do matchmaking with it which is really stupid.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

It was announced a little over an hour ago that the DotA dev is now heading up a team at Valve. God damn, their next round of announcements is going to be amazing (Episode 3, Counter-Strike 2... whatever this is.) Craziness.

What Dota dev?

Dota has been around so long and come from so many different people that there's hardly a single 'dota' dev. Icefrog takes care of the Dota All stars updates of course, but he's in no way responsible for pioneering the original ideas.

Still, I trust Valve knows what they're doing more than anyone, so I'm looking forward to it as well [​IMG]

7. Helix

Helix Senior member

HL2: episode 3 is going to be so awesome.

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

Watched the English-dubbed trailer for FFXIII the other day. They didn't finish the lip-synching in the cutscenes, and the battle voices were still in Japanese, but I thought it was tops and really showcases the effort that SquareEnix is putting into making the NA version not sound like a crappy anime. I especially loved the "sunshine and rainbows" line. I'm now even more pumped for this game.

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

Are you planning on getting Demon's Souls? it's also from From Software, and it's really, really great. Highly recommended.
    I've only heard of it within the past few days and I still don't really know what it is, but if it's as good as you say then I'll look into it for sure. EDIT: I've done some reading and from what I can tell there's absolutely nothing about this game that's not appealing to me. Thanks for the heads-up (and take a hike, Borderlands).

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I cancelled my Aion account already. Any other mmos coming down the pipe I should look at?

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

New Call of Duty trailer. Awesome. Not embedding so you can watch in HD for the full effect.

12. breakz

breakz Senior member

Brian thanks for the review. I didn't want to buy Uncharted 2 until this MP demo...wow. I loved the first one, might buy just to show the devs some love. Also forgot about Heavy Rain. Another question: you really like Persona! Is it worth grabbing 3 and 4 and playing through them?
    Been playing Resident Evil 5 (PC) as of a week or so ago. It made me miss RE4.
    your whole post was spot-on but this is particularly right. They took the good things about RE4 and added bad things to them. The inventory system is particularly offensive.

13. jon bones

jon bones Senior member

anyone hyped about Super Street Fighter IV? so far only Dee Jay, T Hawk and Juri (new character) have been confirmed but I'm looking forward to Adon, Cody, Guy, Ibuki, Makoto and Dudley announcements... if the rumors are still true.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Brian thanks for the review. I didn't want to buy Uncharted 2 until this MP demo...wow. I loved the first one, might buy just to show the devs some love. Also forgot about Heavy Rain.

Another question: you really like Persona! Is it worth grabbing 3 and 4 and playing through them?

your whole post was spot-on but this is particularly right. They took the good things about RE4 and added bad things to them. The inventory system is particularly offensive.

P4 is worth getting and playing through. It is a charming game. However, it may be a little embarrassing to play in front of others.

The RE5 inventory system is actually pretty good IMO. It makes the game more realistic and adds a little bit of difficulty to the game. Just learn how to inventory reload/manage during invincibility frames and you'll be set.

15. Psyren

Psyren Senior member

anyone hyped about Super Street Fighter IV?

so far only Dee Jay, T Hawk and Juri (new character) have been confirmed but I'm looking forward to Adon, Cody, Guy, Ibuki, Makoto and Dudley announcements... if the rumors are still true.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Yeah definitely looking forward to it. Uncharted 2's demo is so fucking good, first day buy for moi.