Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Odd Morsel

Odd Morsel Senior member

i don't really like GTA4. i did at first. i was blown away for the first few hours. it's pretty realistic and whatnot and, actually, a little too realistic. what's the point of watching TV in a video game or having to take girls on dates to get virtual pussy you don't even get to watch?

i found it to get very repetitive very quickly and quit playing after a while. most of the missions are the same and the cut scenes got boring after a while.

I'm in a similar boat. I liked it very much in the beginning, but halfway through, it lost it's charm. I've played through all 3 on the PS2 (and the PSP versions, too), so maybe I was just burned out.

The combat is better, and the main storyline (and side plots) are up to par, but to add to grundletaint's comments on the realism, I think the worst offender is the driving. It's a bit of a chore now, unless you're pretty damn good at racing games.

Combat is improved. Graphics are a treat. Voice acting is excellent.

But I still like San Andreas better [​IMG]

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

I thought the driving was great.

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i like the driving the most and that's all i do anymore. i drive around and run over people, preferably on motorcycles. the first person view is great (i am partial to driving games).

how about the "meet someone" aspect where they get added to your phone list and say "call me if you want to make some money" and then every time you call them it goes to voice mail. fuck that.

as far as the sandbox type of games go, saint's row 2 is the best i've seen in this generation. story is awesome, so much to do (it's a video game, not a real life sim.), graphics are good, lots of side missions and customizable things. all around, it's a lot of fun and highly entertaining. kind of like GTA on a heavy mix of acid and crack.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

The story is the exact fucking same. Why were people pretending it's an amazing story? It's the same immigrant/mobster type story you always see. Nothing unique about it.

The missions are really really really repetitive. Basically, hunt a guy down and kill him. Fight a bunch of dudes in a building. Chase a car down. Steal a car and run away. Go grab an item from a building and come back. Most of the missions are a combination of those so it's the same thing every time.

There is a lot of fighting missions but the controls are terrible for a 3rd person shooter so it's just frustrating.

The map is huge so driving around when all islands are unlocked is a huge hassle. I took cabs everywhere after awhile.

5. Homme

Homme Senior member

Anyone going to pick up Left 4 Dead ?

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

7. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I dunno, I found simply driving around the city to be a ton of fun in GTA, and my completist instincts keep me collecting cars, etc...

8. breakz

breakz Senior member

If it ever makes its way to PS3 or I upgrade my PC. Neither looks likely at this point, but I'm dying to play it.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yes- and Fallout also. Oh, and Far Cry 2

10. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior member

Yoyo where the Frozen Throne players at?

11. xchen

xchen Senior member

Vice City was the best of the GTA games, IMO. However, I'm likely to be biased as I am a huge fan of all things 80's, especially Miami Vice.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Yoyo where the Frozen Throne players at?
    Last night I was seriously thinking about resurrecting a FT thread I made a few years ago. A true classic

13. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

Right now I am working on Fable II. I love Fable. It ends up like GTA for me where I just kill everyone. I am thinking about picking up Fallout 3, IDK if I will as I never finish anything though.

14. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

I have a PS3 and I'm really looking forward to COD5, the engine for 4 was amazing, but I do miss the WWII guns, I hope the maps are really open though.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Bliz is gearing up for the big release. Invasion of scourges right now, and the new floating necropoli are in game.