1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Ugh, my TRU lost their shipment so I don't have it yet! However they did offer to knock another $10 off the price, effectively reducing it to $15 including the $25 gift card.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Ugh, my TRU lost their shipment so I don't have it yet! However they did offer to knock another $10 off the price, effectively reducing it to $15 including the $25 gift card.

Many TRUs are having this problem. Mine did as well, and several people on other message boards have been reporting the same problem.

I heard that if you call Best Buy and ask for a price match, they'll charge you $25 for it.

3. asobu

asobu Senior member

Yahtzee is actually a British transplant living in Australia. He also has some pre-Escapist videos floating around somewhere.

And also, if I'm not mistaken, responsible for the amazing amateur adventure game 5 Days a Stranger.

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

Mario Galaxy is amazing, but this lack of manual camera controls is driving me nuts. What makes game developers think this is ok? To think that there is a perfect camera angle for every in-game situation that they can pre-program is ridiculous. I haven't died many times because of the camera, but it's made several parts of the game much harder than they had a right to be, especially parts where you want to strike out on your own and explore the stages. Also, I'm constantly slowing down waiting for the camera to readjust, effectively dampening the momentum that is so great about Mario games. The worst part is that manual camera control is already programmed into the game (on the D-pad), but it's so strict that you are rarely even allowed to use it.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just a reminder guys, TRU is having B2G1 on Wii games. You will most likely be able to get Best Buy to price match as well.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

The complete remake of Final Fantasy IV came out on the DS in japan last week. Full 3d, updated battle system (something like skill swapping later in the game or something, i don't know), slightly updated storyline and more. I've been playing it the past couple days. Someone released a patch that translates the battle menu, monsters, item/equipment names, and the main menu. Everything else including story, character names and descriptions are in japanese but if you've played through the game a million times it's easy to figure out. The game is awesome though. It's amazing seeing the new 3d take on it. Can't wait till it comes out in the US.

I beat zelda: hourglass 3 weeks or so ago. It was a relatively short game and not that difficult. Despite this, it was a lot of fun. The unique touch screen only controls seemed weird at first but were very enjoyable and like most nintendo made games; it was just plain fun.

Lately, my 2 friends and i have been playing a 3 team dynasty of NCAA Football 2008. We each take 3 star (out of 6) teams in different conferences and play on the hardest difficulty and try to take them to the top. Quite fun.

Any other games in the past month since this thread died that have been good?

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I'm such a huge fan of the Zelda series. Phantom hourglass was fun, as already noted, whether it was short or not. I love watching this series develop.

Also as previously noted, the camera controls in SM:G are killing me. That's kind of ridiculous! They need the free camera controls like they had in Mario 64.

9. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I'm such a huge fan of the Zelda series. Phantom hourglass was fun, as already noted, whether it was short or not. I love watching this series develop.

Also as previously noted, the camera controls in SM:G are killing me. That's kind of ridiculous! They need the free camera controls like they had in Mario 64.

I think that if a platformer is well designed you shouldn't have any problems with obstacles. I haven't had any problems (120 stars on my first playthrough), but there seems to be a very vocal minority that dislikes the camera, and that's a shame. Mario is such an organic experience for me and I don't think things like that ever occurred to me and I guess it boils down to how you play your games.

Oh, and for those interested, the first footage of Street Fighter IV went up about 45 minutes ago. It's available on Gamevideos.com but I'm sure it will make it to YouTube soon.

10. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I know it's an old game, but it's new to me - I'm really loving Lego Star Wars, the Wii version. I love the fact that it's impossible to truly die in this game. And using the Wii-mote as a light saber rocks!

Haven't tried SMG yet... haven't cared for Mario since Super Mario World, though I hear Paper Mario is good.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Currently rocking out Assassin's Creed.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

I'm (still) currently playing Ratchet and Clank for PS3. For Christmas I got:

Oblivion for PS3
    Mass Effect for 360
    Zack and Wiki for Wii
    Warhawk for PS3
    Uncharted for PS3

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Just got:

- Assasins creed
    - Call of Duity 4
    - Guitar Hero III

GH hero is fun, but it doesnt even come close to the fun I had with Parappa or Lammy.

14. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I am playing Trauma Center for Wii and loving it. It is a great game.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I know it's an old game, but it's new to me - I'm really loving Lego Star Wars, the Wii version. I love the fact that it's impossible to truly die in this game. And using the Wii-mote as a light saber rocks!

Haven't tried SMG yet... haven't cared for Mario since Super Mario World, though I hear Paper Mario is good.

All the Paper Mario games are great. The one for Wii is really awesome. In my opinion it was the second best game out for Wii until SMG came out (behind Zelda Twilight Princess). If you have 50 bucks, definitely drop it on any of these three games. You won't be disappointed.

16. xchen

xchen Senior member

ORANGE BOX!!! for 360.

Finally getting around to playing HL2 after only like 3 years and it is amazing!

I went out and picked this up because I finally beat Skate which I have been playing almost daily for the several months I have had it.

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Am eagerly awaiting The Force Unleashed; the SW games are infinitely better than the movies.

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I just picked up Twilight Princess for Wii, though I haven't played it yet. Next buy: Super Mario Galaxy. [​IMG]

19. xchen

xchen Senior member

What I played of Twilight Princess was great, but I was playing it on GC. It'll probably be even better on the Wii.

20. dusty

dusty Senior member

What I played of Twilight Princess was great, but I was playing it on GC. It'll probably be even better on the Wii.

Having played both, I'm going to say the GC one is better. Aiming controls are better on the Wii, but the rest of the controls feel tacked on. Trying to pull off some of the advanced sword moves with hand motions was extremely frustrating.

Minor, minor spoilers:

The worst was the shield push. 90% of my attempts to do this move ended up in me doing a spin attack, which led directly to me dying on the last level of a certain very long, very difficult optional area.