1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Or if a teammate is just trash...

Like if our pharah is garbage, I can switch to pharah and do her job myself.

Ditto for like...soldier 76 is failing to take out enemy pharah...what...do I have to switch to some less-effective hero just because my teammate can't or won't do it?

Finally...in noob-tier, we are probably going to have players being asshats, and unless blizzard starts moderating hard, it is hard to avoid.

The constant-Hanzo players are going to be like "Hanzo or I feed" like asshats do in MOBAs when they don't get to play what they want.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

THe answer is obviously to remove torbjorn from the game entirely, because he's worthless and everyone who plays him is too

1 person likes this.
  3. otc

otc Senior member

World's most cautious Overwatch player?
    https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/eu/BIZaGoten#2818;mode=1

Just goes to show you that stats don't mean shit when you can't play with a team. 28% win rate in competitive and now ranked around the bottom 1-2%.

#1 in kill:death ratio for both comp and quick...and good other stats...but only plays soldier 76 and is probably unwilling to push with his team (since that might kill him and hurt his ratio).

4. otc

otc Senior member

This guy would be pretty unhappy:
    https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/us/Torbjörn#11130

Rank 75 or 76. Well into the top 1% of players.

Doesn't play anything besides Torbjorn, attack or defense.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Lol! 158:1? WTF.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Picked up DA: Inquisition from the XBL sale last week, have put some time into it. Kinda fun, but the Witcher's combat is more interesting (still haven't finished that either...). I'll keep going and see what happens. First DA game so I'm totally lost. Doesn't seem to matter. Mostly it makes me pine for Mass Effect.

7. horndog

horndog Senior member

Snorlax spawned in my office today. Threw pokeball at its face.

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'd be really tempted to pick this up after release if I can find it on sell for under $50.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

[​IMG]

Yes, you can easily emulate those games on a number of devices, but this is legal and gives you the full retro experience. The HDMI out is really nice. Too bad it's not networked so you can download more games.

I would actually insta-kop a Super Nes version of this. That was one of my all time favorite systems and I far better memories of playing on it then I do the Nes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

That looks awesome. Could consider it at $60 since I don't play a lot of console games these days

10. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

OW patch is now live.

The Nintendo thing is pretty cool. Shame though that they don't allow for additional games to be installed/bought.

Pokemon Go is fun.

Meh. Read up on what G2A is. And yes, G2A is shady.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, been playing a bunch of PoE lately. I've barely played D2 so D3 was the first ARPG I've ever really played. Never was fully happy with it. I mean, it runs very smoothly and such but something's lacking. PoE is really good so far. Engine is pretty shitty, but the game makes up for it. Friendly people. Unique 3rd-party-and-whatnot trading mechanics.
    New patch just rolled out today and new xpac is going to be released soon-ish.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

BTW, no posts on how Steam is banning gambling sites (e.g. all those csgo sites)? Sure, there's still a bit of gambling involved with cases considering that you can sell the loot for "real money", but it's certainly a gamechanger.

And the new Humble Bundle is preetty good, even if you don't like Battleborn (who does? :p) https://www.humblebundle.com/2k-games-bundle .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  14. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Outside of Konami, and Capcom, making licensing deals to republish retro games in any fashion is a clusterfuck of tedious detective work to find out who today owns what. Don't ask me how I know.

15. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Don't leave us hanging.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

Was that regarding my criticism [that you cannot buy more games, install more games (or have any internet connection)]? The Wii, for example, has 92 purchasable NES games.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-...wii|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|nes|-|-|-|-|-|title|asc|-|-

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  17. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I use to be the director of marketing for a company in the gaming industry. Without giving too much away, my department had the task of finding out who currently owned a bunch of 8-16 bit retro games and negotiate licensing deals. I expected the project to take some time and prioritized the list of games I would go after and gave it to one of my team members who had a ton of historical knowledge about the industry. Not much progress was made so I decided to spend a bit of time on it myself. The whole thing devolved into a time sink of detective work to find out who currently owned what game, and at the conclusion of that everything turned into phone tag hell. Some people I spoke too simply did not know for sure if their company was legally able to licence a game. Some of these people had not really been approached with anyone trying to make a deal like this before and wanted too much money, I guess because there was no historical precedence for what a "good deal" was. And to my surprise, many people were not even interested in making a deal on some unproductive IP/game despite it being a way for them to make money without lifting a finger. The only companies who you can make a deal with quickly are the larger ones that never had any of their IPs change hands and know exactly what they are doing by milking these old games, like Sega and Capcom. I could not go after them for this specific project due to political reasons.

The prioritized list I made got shorter and shorter until I canceled the whole project. Even if only time was wasted on it, it was one of the few projects I took on that ended in complete failure. It actually makes me feel a bit better to see that this Nintendo plug and play has only first party games, or games that were made by companies that still exist today. I'd bet you any amount of money whoever at Nintendo was tasked to make this machine happen ran into the same nightmare I did, then stripped the project down to just Nintendo games and a handful of other games from companies who have just always been around since the 80s/90s.

1 person likes this.
  18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thanks for the insight and yep, that sounds reasonable. Still doesn't explain why the Nintendo Classic Mini is limited to 30 games when the Wii offers 92 purchasable NES games. 30 preinstalled games with the possibility to buy more? Much better. Then again, the Nintendo Classic Mini is "relatively" cheap.

19. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Probably so they can keep charging people $5 for the 62 other games

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

That's the thing. You can't buy or install additional titles.