1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. bdbb

bdbb Senior member

Pic of Crysis 3 on the system below. There are definitely drawbacks. For one, if you're interested in a 3D system I'd imagine the cost of 30 inch 3D capable monitors is astronomical if they are even available. So to have a triple screen 3D setup, you probably need to downsize some. That may not be that big of a deal, as I consider the size of my system a gross excess. I like having the big 30 inch panel in the middle but the side panels could happily be replaced with 20 inchers turned sizeways. Unfortunately drivers/multiGPU don't work that well with Portrait-Landscape-Portrait triple setups so you're locked into 3 of the same monitor.

The other downside is that you need to keep your GPUs on the bleeding edge and have a SLI/Crossfire system. Upgrading 3 graphics cards at a time is expensive. It would be even worse on a 3D system where you need to run things at twice the framerate of a 2D system for the same perceived level of smoothness. To run my resolution even in 2D is taxing even for three overclocked GTX Titans.

There's a promising new technology called G-synch that could help the perceived framerate of games a lot...if I were planning a major upgrade I'd be observing how that plays out.

[​IMG]

2. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

My dilemma is what do I do with that time once I get home from work then? I have no gf, work pretty late (not TOO late), always get my errands and workouts in, on boards of non-profits so I get my volunteering fix there...

That gap of space used to be filled with gaming, I used to itch to get home to play, even if I got home at 4am from work I'd get a game of FIFA or LOL in. Now I just idly browse and read the internet.

Also on the selling games front, I had a TON of great titles from my Sega Genesis days when I was a kid. Too bad my mom tossed it all out when I was in college...would have gotten at least a grand for all those games.

3. wojt

wojt Senior member

Well there's a tons of things to do. Start doing some sports, sign up for summer league, run, work out, learn a language, go out, learn a new skill, watch a good movie, read a good book... all would be better than gaming or browsing internet. But it's also easier said than done... I was about to start running this year and well I haven't been out once [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  4. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

I think a lot of nongamers (not just women in general) see gaming as a waste of time, but a lot of them have either never played a video game before or haven't played one since the 8bit/16bit era. Gaming has grown so much as a medium within the past thirty years. Some of the best stories that I've encountered in video games have trumped the ones you see in film and books. My girlfriend had been in the camp that video games were rather pointless, but then I showed her some games like Uncharted and the Last of Us and she really got caught up in the story. I'm currently playing through Tomb Raider and she really enjoys watching.

In addition, I introduced Telltale's Walking Dead to her and we both played through it together and it was a fantastic experience as we had to work as a team to make those difficult, moral choices. I think if you want to introduce anyone to a video game, you should have them play that game with you. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played and the story is significantly better than anything the television show has done.

In the end, I think people don't really need to see video games as "cool", but they should respect the fact that they can be an entertaining medium and that people enjoy them, just as long as you aren't neglecting any personal responsibilities

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sure, those^ are all fine activities. But the obvious answer is "get a girlfriend" - or at least some dates or friends with benefits. 4:00 a.m. sex > 4:00 a.m. video soccer

6. wojt

wojt Senior member

Well i tried a gf. It's a similar waste of time but costs more money. Friends with benefits sounds good. Can't argue on the 4am thing

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Just haven't met the right one yet.

I've never seen video games as a waste of time anymore than any other hobby that doesn't further your station in life or generate revenue. Some people collect things, some watch sports, some play games, etc etc. As I said earlier, it's all about having a balance in your life. If it's out of sort, then maybe you need to cut back.

8. wojt

wojt Senior member

Yeah I agree, i wasn't all that serious in my last post :)

9. Jr Mouse

10. bdbb

bdbb Senior member

Video games are one of the only hobbies that has virtually no chance to further your station in life though. Most other hobbies have you getting in better shape and/or out meeting people which expands your network, leads to getting laid, etc.

11. Jr Mouse

Stamp, magazine and movie poster collecting. Etc etc etc... All prove you wrong.

Hell even fantasy football disproves your theory.

12. bdbb

bdbb Senior member

Reading comprehension bro. Do you understand what words like "one of the only" and "most" mean? Listing a few obscure collection-based hobbies hardly proves or disproves that video games are much less productive than most other hobbies, and fantasy football is social if you're not in an internet league.

Video games are massive both in terms of the number of people playing them and the time spent playing them. A small but significant minority are logging 50+ hours/wk, quite a few people log 20-30, and most people that would consider themselves "gamers" are playing 10+. Barely anyone collects stamps, and of those, barely any of them would even devote 5+ hours a week to a hobby like that. If they do spend that much time, they're probably going to conventions and actually making friends. Games are fun, but they're up there with TV and internet message boards in terms of being the most massively wasteful hobby (at least on message boards you might be learning useful information).

13. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Going to play soccer in a summer league but its still snowing here. I work out everyday already. Never felt the need to know more than 2 languages / not interested. I get bored of movies halfway through, i.e. turned Gravity off halfway. Tried reading, my attention span is way too short. Don't want a girlfriend right now.

I drink hard both days on weekends, have plenty of friends, and have a good amount of activities going on, its just when I come home from work early on weekdays and all my other work is done, I have nothing to do and I hate the feeling of being unproductive. Poster up there hit the nail on the head, I just feel games are a massive timesuck now with 0 redeeming qualities.

All of those above hobbies are more socially approved then gaming. Try telling your client, when you guys are shooting the shit, that you go home and play LOL for 4 hours. Stamp, magazine, obscure collection at least has some redeeming quality and society in general views it as more "intellectual" than sitting in front of a computer getting harassed by middle schoolers.

Agreed. All those hours Ive spent on gaming, I dont think Ive ever gained anything. Not saying I dont love playing FIFA when my buddies come over, but the days of me sitting there playing and grinding through an RPG or my old favorite RTS are gone.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i disagree. a hobby can be a good hobby in it of itself but what makes it great is the people surrounding it. you can develop relationships and have great conversations and meet new people playing video games or collecting stamps. just because a hobby increases your physical fitness or knowledge of history doesn't make it any more valuable

2 people like this.
  15. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've learnt quite a bit from video games. At the very least about the English language--either by communicating or by learning seemingly obscure terms that end up being useful. Depending on the game, it can teach you tactical thinking and give you an edge over non-gamers. Der Spiegel has just published a magazine whose front-page story was about how gaming is better than its reputation and makes us smarter, so I suppose there are studies supporting the claim. I haven't read it.

For what it's worth, I don't want to argue that video games are most efficient in mastering the above skills. They can and mostly do devour massive amounts of time from each teenager nowadays. To state however that gaming gave us nothing back for the time we've put into it is overly critical.

After all, aren't ego shooters supposed to turn us into cold-blooded killers? Similarly, simulations--be it CIV or goat simulator--should turn us into the best of strategists out there; playing NFL will almost guarantee us a contract from the Packers. It's what the politicians say, so it's true.

1 person likes this.
  16. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Even though I play video games mostly because they´re fricking fun, I´ve learnt so much from them. It also helped me furhter my english like playing Final Fantasy 8 for 60+ hours when I was 13-14 and having to read (and understand) everything that was going on, where I had to go, what I had to get, etc.

17. phoni

phoni Senior member

Many years ago I tried playing WoW on Chinese servers, in the hope of finding some extra motivation for my Mandarin language studies. Results were mixed: it kinda worked but at the same time I knew most of the starting areas quest chains by heart so there was very little need to actually try to understand the quest requirements.

Of course now the map shows you where to go for each and every quest so I could probably grind my way to 90 in any language available :/

Speaking of gaming as a hobby, there's stuff that you can learn from games - Total War/Civ games can definitely improve your knowledge of foreign cultures or historical events. Sim City, when played with every option turned on, is useful in understanding the pitfalls and conundrums of urban planning. Some old (and I mean ancient) games were also good at trying to depict accurately certain time periods - see Darklands,one of the first games I played. Football Manager or the dinasty mode in 2K sports games offer some (limited) exposure to HR issues and team management.

I'm not claiming you can become an expert in these matters simply by playing games but there is value to be found, apart form the entertainment factor.

As an aside, I used to read a lot of books before gaming started eating a large chunk of my spare time, but for me a good game has the upper hand in that it gives you the illusion of choice - you are the protagonist, moving the story along.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  19. gort

gort Senior member

Finished first episode of walking dead season 1 on iPad. Can't say I really get what the fuss is about yet. Not a whole lot of gameplay, lot of talking and making choices in conversations. Will keep pushing through since I purchased all 5 episodes and hope it gets better.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't get the hype either