• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Nananine

Reaction score
I finally played Uncharted 1 and damn was it boring as hell. Do I see boxes/ruins in perfect 90 degree angles? It's time to start shooting. Do I see little things protruding out of the wall? Time for a very linear platforming puzzle. Also, I'd like to think the road to El Dorado was paved by a little more than just chain winches.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find most of the games nowadays are geared towards teenagers with limited intellect or imagination and that said the video-games are as mind-numbingly boring as blockbuster movies.
Poorly scripted games with quasi-freedom of choice.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Medwed
I find most of the games nowadays are geared towards teenagers with limited intellect or imagination and that said the video-games are as mind-numbingly boring as blockbuster movies.

Sounds about right.

matik23

Reaction score
Well most games are now catered to casual gamers. Video games aren't just for the introverted hermits who play hardcore games all day. Casual gamers make up most of the consumer base so video games have become easy enough to pick up and play.

When was the last time you played a video game that had layers and layers of complex strategy AND required precision hand eye coordination since CS 1.6, Starcraft: Brood War, and Quake Arena? These are all games that are more than 10 years old.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matik23
Well most games are now catered to casual gamers. Video games aren't just for the introverted hermits who play hardcore games all day. Casual gamers make up most of the consumer base so video games have become easy enough to pick up and play.

When was the last time you played a video game that had layers and layers of complex strategy AND required precision hand eye coordination since CS 1.6, Starcraft: Brood War, and Quake Arena? These are all games that are more than 10 years old.

This has less to do with being a hermit and more to do with the poor state of storytelling (Fallout 3), writing (any modern shooter), dialogue (any modern shooter), and "dumb ****" (MMOs, almost every RPG) gamers have to endure.

I'm not some hermit that pumps 100 hours into Final Fantasy 13. I want a game that's fun, not full of filler, well-written, and unique in its mechanics. Aside from Portal and some XBLA/PSN games (Braid, Limbo, PixelJunk series), those don't really exist right now.

matik23

Reaction score
Well Starcraft 2 by no means is an easy game. Not at all but compared to it's predecessor, it's been simplified with control groups and smarter AI movement.

@breakz I wasn't calling you a basement dwelling nerd. Just saying that was perceived type if one played video games back then. Obviously it's more mainstream now and the biggest consumer base are the casual console gamers. The big video game corporations know this and get away with sucking money out of our pockets. I mean look at the CoD 5 thread. Just a bunch of sheep who think they're playing the greatest game evarr!! And those douchebags wonder why they buy a new controller every week.

Those xbl games you mentioned are all from indie companies so of course they have put more effort into their games for it to sell well. But yes those are good games.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find most of the games nowadays are geared towards teenagers with limited intellect or imagination and that said the video-games are as mind-numbingly boring as blockbuster movies. Poorly scripted games with quasi-freedom of choice.
Wait for Deus Ex 3, the first one was one of the greatest thinking man's shooters / FPSRPG ever. Given how great the leaked beta is, I'd say the latest incarnation won't disapoint either.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matik23
I mean look at the CoD 5 thread. Just a bunch of sheep who think they're playing the greatest game evarr!! And those douchebags wonder why they buy a new controller every week.
facepalm.gif
Originally Posted by jarude
Wait for Deus Ex 3, the first one was one of the greatest thinking man's shooters / FPSRPG ever. Given how great the leaked beta is, I'd say the latest incarnation won't disapoint either.
So excited for this...

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the debate between the Japanese and American game design philosophies is very interesting. Think Resident Evil vs. Grand Theft Auto.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude

bounce2.gif
Need!

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bought The Witcher from Steam. Turns out I don't have the right graphics card
frown.gif

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to hunt down the original Deus Ex instead. My weak ass laptop isn't going to handle any game made after 2005.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is:

Skyrim - You are beautiful
Dark Souls - You will make me cry
Battlefield 3 - EA **** you! DICE I love you, so I will buy and play your game.
Valve - WTF no game? Where is my epic Hat collecting game!!
COD MW3 - Same 'ol Same 'ol, glad I learned two years ago that this was a stupid franchise
Wii U - Wiii U Marry me
PS Vita - Inappropriately named Vita
Star Wars TOR - ******* sweet cinematic - too bad gameplay will begin with collect 20 screws to fix your droid companion
Arkham City - Time to get it on with Catwoman and Harley Quinn, yeah.

Everything else - sorry I don't care right now, maybe later!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been playing a bit of SC2 lately which is pretty interesting since I mostly know SC1 from a no rush/mass armies style of play or custom map making (hey, I was like 12 ok?).

Terran at first seemed rather strong but that seems to have thinned out. Overall Terran seems easy to play, but a little meh. Marauders are good, though kind of too good (a positive and a negative I suppose).

Zerg on the other hand are a blast to play. I really enjoy the new Queen unit, and being able to spawn more than 3 larvae per hatchery is pure bliss. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the sheer flexibility the Zerg offer and how easily I can change between strategies if the initial push doesn't work out. Nydus worms are fun as hell, and creep control is REALLY fun. It's a subtle way to gain map control and I enjoy using it (yeah I *just* realize creep tumors spawn more creep tumors).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads