• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will New Vegas be stand alone or an expansion for F3?

I agree on Morrowind. Really fun game. Honestly, as far as the engine, leveling, etc goes, I think Oblivion is far superior. The combat is a blast, the graphics are better (obviously)....but....it's just too Tolkien generic for me.

Every dungeon looked the same. Every Oblivion plane was the same. It is surprising that the landscapes in Morrowind were so varied and awe inspiring, and when I saw Oblivion, even with the great graphics, I just went "eh".

I also thought the Morag Tong was WAY cooler than the Assassin's Guild in Oblivion.

airblaster503

Reaction score
New Vegas will be a stand alone game taking place 3 years before Fallout 3.

Like you said the graphics and everything in Oblivion were great, but the landscape was pretty boring and alot of things looked the same. I also didn't like the leveling of opponents, it almost made the game to easy. That was one thing I liked about Morrowind is you could face a oppenent far superior to yourself right away, though you would get killed. It made you think twice before going into dungeons and caves where as with Oblivion almost everyone you faced was close to the same level so there wasn't really any risk.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
New Vegas will be a stand alone game taking place 3 years before Fallout 3. Like you said the graphics and everything in Oblivion were great, but the landscape was pretty boring and alot of things looked the same. I also didn't like the leveling of opponents, it almost made the game to easy. That was one thing I liked about Morrowind is you could face a oppenent far superior to yourself right away, though you would get killed. It made you think twice before going into dungeons and caves where as with Oblivion almost everyone you faced was close to the same level so there wasn't really any risk.
I actually found this made the game difficult and frustrating in its own way. Trying to keep an NPC alive who tags along on a quest is damn near impossible. Wonder how many artifacts I passed up because the NPC who would have given it to me after the quest died during the first encounter. Had they done something like say, let the NPC level up at a rate of 50% of the PC's level would have been great. Also, probably would have been better all around to give each group of baddies in a particular dungeon, forest, town, etc. a base level compared to yours, plus/minus a randomly generated number of levels within a certain range to keep things interesting. Anyway, once my PC found Rockmilk Cave, the game was pretty much over it got so easy heh.

Bakes

Reaction score
The leveling ruined the game for me. I felt like there was no point in doing anything. Awesome I finally got some glass armor! Great and so does every bandit I come across now.

I guess it is just personal preference but I like the idea that there are certain sections of the world that are extremely difficult to get through at an early level (and also sections that are very easy at a high level). It makes it all the more satisfying when you become strong enough to venture there.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The opposite extreme of that would be the old Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge game. The levels of the monsters were completely random! So frigging frustrating to play that game at level 1 when the first "rat" you encounter ends up being level 20 haha.
Originally Posted by Bakes
The leveling ruined the game for me. I felt like there was no point in doing anything. Awesome I finally got some glass armor! Great and so does every bandit I come across now.
Hahah yeah. That's why I liked Rockmilk so much. The booty from re-visiting that cave and the money I got from selling potions I made got me up to 170,000 gold by the time I finished the main quest.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
Any of you guys play Myth:TFL/Soulblighter? Amazing games from back before Microsoft owned Bungie.
Some of the best RTS games of their era. Myth was good, but Soulblighter is one of those rare sequels that actually blows its predecessor out of the water. Amazingly well put together and everyone should play it. One of the great things about the games was the simplicity of the scenarios - there is no build / harvest / churn out units aspect to the game, you've got what you've got and it makes the stakes higher and the gameplay stronger.

Myth 3 was crap unfortunately.
Originally Posted by breakz
You excited for New Vegas? Some people love crapping on Fallout 3 (and I might've been in that group in the past), but I can't deny how fun that game was.
I am in that group, Fallout 3 was terrible. They're selling a 3-pack with fallout 1, 2 and tactics (in order of descending awesomeness I suppose) for like 20 bucks - or less, via ebay. Again, everyone should play these and discover what the series is really about.
Originally Posted by javyn
IMO Morrowind was probably the best game ever made, but I haven't played Fallout 3 yet
smile.gif

This is nonsense... Morrowind was a fantastic game and probably GOTY status but best ever? Nahhhhh.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
I am in that group, Fallout 3 was terrible. They're selling a 3-pack with fallout 1, 2 and tactics (in order of descending awesomeness I suppose) for like 20 bucks - or less, via ebay. Again, everyone should play these and discover what the series is really about.
I've played 1 and 2, and I actually enjoyed 3. Compared to 1/2, 3's dialogue wasn't as great, and the game isn't as open-ended, but it has the same level of immersion and sense of humor. You're also rewarded for exploring in FO3 the way you were in FO1/2. So it's not the perfect sequel but it's pretty good.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are still Selling FO 1 and 2? God, I remember the compatibility issues I had to deal with when I played it back in 2000.

Then again, there's always DOSBOX!

And yeah, I think Morrowind's the best game ever. Even better than Doom 2, although it makes me feel bad to say it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
I've played 1 and 2, and I actually enjoyed 3. Compared to 1/2, 3's dialogue wasn't as great, and the game isn't as open-ended, but it has the same level of immersion and sense of humor. You're also rewarded for exploring in FO3 the way you were in FO1/2. So it's not the perfect sequel but it's pretty good.
Dude it is aenemic. The size of the game is just pathetic. The town in the north with that battle between the two crazy superhero characters? Yeah that's cute, but it's not so cute when it's a) the only legitimate sidequest in the town, b) the town has maybe 10 people and 5 houses in it, and c) it's pretty much the only town out there. To make it a legitimate fallout experience it needed to be... I'm gonna go with at least 5 times the size of what it was. The game basically became about shooting super mutants in the head. And what was with the character development system? What the **** is the point when you can easily max out all the stats? There is no good reason to play one kind of char over another - you can beat Fallout and Fallout 2 and complete more or less everything without ever getting into combat... and there are actually multiple ways of doing so (science, speech, stealth...) Fallout 3 is flat, has zero depth, it's badly written and the system is poorly designed. It just sucks. Look at Fallout 1 and 2 as one game with 2 chapters and you have a legitimate contender for the best RPG ever made. The only really good part of F3 was that virtual reality section, that was kind of cool.
Originally Posted by javyn
They are still Selling FO 1 and 2? God, I remember the compatibility issues I had to deal with when I played it back in 2000.
The re-release dealt with that, plays fine on vista / 7 for me.
Originally Posted by Radagast
I've been thinking of picking up Fallout 3. I haven't played a game through in awhile and from what I hear it is long enough to hold me over for the better part of a year.
I could beat it in about 3 days. Seriously it is not a very expansive game. There are maybe 4-5 legitimate locations? For a Bethesda game it's even more lacking... remember Daggerfall? You could play that thing for your entire life and never get through it all.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else excited about DotA 2? Was officially announced 2 days ago, must admit I am liking valve's intentions with the game. Considering how integral teamwork is, their focus on the community of the game makes perfect sense. Art direction looks nice too (I like the new logo), and the new Lina looks kinda hot
tongue.gif
(no pun intended).

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Dota "2". With the exception of the community features, it seems exactly like what Heroes of Newerth is - a Dota with the exact same heroes but unrestricted by the Warcraft 3 engine.

I'm sure it will be good, but I'm rooting for S2 Games to get their act together and make HON a competitive game by the time Dota 2 is released.

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
New Vegas will be a stand alone game taking place 3 years before Fallout 3. Like you said the graphics and everything in Oblivion were great, but the landscape was pretty boring and alot of things looked the same. I also didn't like the leveling of opponents, it almost made the game to easy. That was one thing I liked about Morrowind is you could face a oppenent far superior to yourself right away, though you would get killed. It made you think twice before going into dungeons and caves where as with Oblivion almost everyone you faced was close to the same level so there wasn't really any risk.
Fun fact about Oblivion's landscape... it was based on Great Falls, Va. I was trying to figure out why everything looked so damn familiar and boring.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Dude it is aenemic. The size of the game is just pathetic. The town in the north with that battle between the two crazy superhero characters? Yeah that's cute, but it's not so cute when it's a) the only legitimate sidequest in the town, b) the town has maybe 10 people and 5 houses in it, and c) it's pretty much the only town out there. To make it a legitimate fallout experience it needed to be... I'm gonna go with at least 5 times the size of what it was. The game basically became about shooting super mutants in the head. And what was with the character development system? What the **** is the point when you can easily max out all the stats? There is no good reason to play one kind of char over another - you can beat Fallout and Fallout 2 and complete more or less everything without ever getting into combat... and there are actually multiple ways of doing so (science, speech, stealth...) Fallout 3 is flat, has zero depth, it's badly written and the system is poorly designed. It just sucks. Look at Fallout 1 and 2 as one game with 2 chapters and you have a legitimate contender for the best RPG ever made.

I see what you're saying. Agreed on how the game needed a no-combat path--I really wish that existed. And compared to FO1/2, there weren't nearly as many side quests. But I really enjoyed how you could just choose a direction, run over there, and eventually find something interesting, like the tower full of rich people, or the alien crash landing site. The world felt sparse but not empty, and I really liked that.

What would you say are the closest RPGs today (current-gen) to Fallout 1 and 2? I'd really like to play those.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
There is nothing to compare them to really. Iso turn based rpgs with a unique environment and a sense of humour? Nonexistant. ME has been the only good RPG series on the current gen consoles, imo. Catering to marsupials headshotting each other on multiplayer Halo just pays better than making real games. Hollywood blockbusters = video game industry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics