Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Damn. Disappointed in the reviews for Dragon Quest IX. I'm fine with traditional jrpgs and simpler battle systems but i hear it's not much fun to play on your own as they focus a lot on multiplayer stuff and since you create the heroes, they don't have much personality or character development. Which is too bad because while goofy and occasionally childish, DQVIII was a lot of fun to play

I just read Briansd's post above about japanese games being great when they do what they're good at instead of trying to go after what's popular in western video games. DQ9 is a perfect example of a japanese game company and game franchise doing just that and ruining 3-4 years of waiting for some. Maybe japanese fans are having fun multi-player wise though. i dunno

2. dave333

dave333 Senior member

I've been Starcrafting again. Jesus Christ, people on battle.net are real good. Been getting my ass kicked dozens of times. Most of my wins are from 2v2s, where I have had a lot more success as I've found some partners to play with consistently. But 1v1...just get my ass whooped all the time.

3. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

But 1v1...just get my ass whooped all the time.

this week I managed to play 30 games. I have won all my first 5 matches and got into silver league? 29 games I played versus favored enemies, one was equal. for 2 days first in my league and I dont advance to gold? I have found more bugs in this week than the half year before this ..

4. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior member

I've NEVER understood why people continue to play Starcraft over TFT

5. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Heroes are dumb, unit limit means you cant mass, upkeep is dumb, units aren't as cool, too much emphasis on spells, not modern/futuristic (I prefer it) and less cool soundtrack, etc. This is very much my opinion, but those who don't like WC3 would share more than one of these reasons.

6. Althis

Althis Senior member

i just play custom maps on TFT =) they're much better on TFT than SC

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I just read Briansd's post above about japanese games being great when they do what they're good at instead of trying to go after what's popular in western video games. DQ9 is a perfect example of a japanese game company and game franchise doing just that and ruining 3-4 years of waiting for some. Maybe japanese fans are having fun multi-player wise though. i dunno

Actually the multi player modes for the new DQ games has been seemingly huge. See kids/adults sitting/standing around playing together frequently (like daily, and multiple times a day)

8. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

I've NEVER understood why people continue to play Starcraft over TFT

in starcraft you have a small variety at start and due to the hardcounter system a wide variety in mid and late.

in tft you have a small variety at start and a very small one in mid and late, while units get useless when your heros reach high levels ..

9. ZhiMingBuFanDe

ZhiMingBuFanDe Senior member

Does anyone here play DotA?

10. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

11. Althis

Althis Senior member

the frozen throne

I used to play DoTA a couple years ago but it got boring after a while

12. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

John Teti gave LIMBO a glowing review over at Eurogamer. Don't read it if you don't want a few tiny things spoiled (grr). Can't wait to see what Edge makes of the game.

Also, Valve is releasing Alien Swarm today. For Free. Pretty bummed about no Mac version.

13. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

So I'm hearing now that FF14, ie another numbered Final Fantasy, is being released in September... whaaaaa? We wait years for 13 and 14 shows up in a matter of months. I'm flabbergasted. They used FF7 music for the promo vid too, oddly.

14. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

It's the sequel to FFXI (MMO).

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Starcraft 2 is a week and a half away.