• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Dumb article. The industry is dying because MS showed Kinect and they're only announcing sequels? Nintendo has been making fools of themselves since E3 2006, and sequels have been around for the last decade.

He's got short-term memory (like tons of other gamers), and he's forgotten that sometimes E3 sucks. This is one of those years.

Don't think the article was completely off base. Yes, some e3 years are good and others bad but still. It stinks to see the companies just try and chase gimmicks and not even attempt making good games. Also, it does make a valid point about how difficult it is for the companies to make profits with how often they have to revamp their hardware. I mean, the big thing is to get a cash cow and then milk it for a bunch of cheaper sequels. Not as much incentive to be inventive. At least mario games try to innovate a fair amount and kudos to final fantasy for switching up their gameplay a lot the past 5games and the storylines are completely different everytime.

Too bad though as i was hoping for more good games the next year

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
We really need to bankroll more Team Icos, Valves, Suda 51s...people with real creativity and not just some coding nerds who grew up worshiping ****** game design.
Yes please. Seriously, I don't know what it will take to accomplish this, but I would actually play video games if these kinds of things showed up regularly. Not just creativity but good writing and execution in addition to the different, interesting ideas. Not only that but it might actually legitimize video games. I just don't know how it's possible to achieve this when 13 year olds who don't know any better and generally don't need anything else are REALLY REALLY EXCITED for another COD XII / Halo 6 / Generic FPS with occasional cutscenes, or whatever. I also think developers tend to force themselves to integrate trendy elements into their games whether they fit or not... sorry, but some things just don't work with multiplayer, so ignore that distraction and focus on making the single player experience as good as it can be. I still don't know why Final Fantasy ever dipped its toes into MMORPG stuff. If you try to force your game to fit a certain mold it will lead to compromises just about 100% of the time and won't turn out the way it should. When PC was the dominant platform I think there was more interesting variety. The tripartite platform competition looks more and more like network heads trying to come up with reality TV shows - damned if the new stuff doesn't seem surprisingly similar to all the other stuff that's gone on before. On a slightly related note, how about somebody actually does something with the format Dreamfall suggested but never followed through with? Get people hooked on a storyline and characters that actually span multiple games? I have never seen any game end on a cliffhanger like that. I mean, hell, if you want to sell a sequel, do that, I'd buy the sequel to that game the day it came out.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Also, it does make a valid point about how difficult it is for the companies to make profits with how often they have to revamp their hardware. I mean, the big thing is to get a cash cow and then milk it for a bunch of cheaper sequels. Not as much incentive to be inventive. At least mario games try to innovate a fair amount and kudos to final fantasy for switching up their gameplay a lot the past 5games and the storylines are completely different everytime.

Too bad though as i was hoping for more good games the next year

Well Final Fantasy has switched up their gameplay since FF7...but the FF series is exhibit A of what's wrong with the game industry: all graphics, terrible story, constant sequels and spin-offs with little innovation. Square's idea of "innovation" is rotating an Excel spreadsheet from portrait to landscape, or changing the color of the cells. It's the same gameplay with a different coat of paint. FF12 was a step forward, but FF13 took that step right back.

Companies should really consider using the PS Network/XBox Arcade to greater effect. PSN has thatgamecompany (Flow, Flower, and now Journey) and the PixelJunk games, and these companies profit immensely off their unique $5-10 games. XBLA needs some similarly unique games on XBLA...can anyone recommend some great Arcade games on 360?

It's a bummer: the blockbuster branch of gaming is growing faster than the innovative, creative branch of gaming. If I knew how to code, I'd put together a small game studio and publish some random different games on XBLA or PSN.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any games that would run well with a Geforce 9500 GT DDR2 1 gig?

I have Oblivion and am getting Fallout 3 as we speak.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Can anyone recommend any games that would run well with a Geforce 9500 GT DDR2 1 gig?

I have Oblivion and am getting Fallout 3 as we speak.

I wanted to play STALKER but my computer is waaaay too weak. I hear it's good. Maybe you could try that. I'm going to have to build a new computer when DX3 comes out, so I guess I will have a lot of games to catch up on by then.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
javyn, you can play STALKER (the first one) with your GeForce 9500GT. I played it on a GeForce 7800GT back in the day. The performance stunk but it was all I had. You should be good to go.

By the way, don't bother with STALKER Clear Sky. Buggy as hell and nothing really new -- it's a giant mod of the first game. I haven't bought Call of Prypiat yet but I hear it rocks.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, never heard of STALKER, will check it out.

I loved Fallout and Fallout 2 back in the day, as well as Morrowind.

So, I'm pretty excited about Oblivion and Fallout 3.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Well Final Fantasy has switched up their gameplay since FF7...but the FF series is exhibit A of what's wrong with the game industry: all graphics, terrible story, constant sequels and spin-offs with little innovation. Square's idea of "innovation" is rotating an Excel spreadsheet from portrait to landscape, or changing the color of the cells. It's the same gameplay with a different coat of paint. FF12 was a step forward, but FF13 took that step right back. Companies should really consider using the PS Network/XBox Arcade to greater effect. PSN has thatgamecompany (Flow, Flower, and now Journey) and the PixelJunk games, and these companies profit immensely off their unique $5-10 games. XBLA needs some similarly unique games on XBLA...can anyone recommend some great Arcade games on 360? It's a bummer: the blockbuster branch of gaming is growing faster than the innovative, creative branch of gaming. If I knew how to code, I'd put together a small game studio and publish some random different games on XBLA or PSN.
Yea, wish i could try some of the psn games. Also, i don't really feel that final fantasy stories are terrible at all. I mean, it depends what you're looking for i guess. It's a jrpg at heart still and i don't really think there is a problem with the storylines. The FF series is probably the best series in terms of coming up with new games, trying to make each different and always do a good job with polish, presentation, story and fun factor. I think the article was mainly talking about the Halo/CoDs of the world. Personally, i'm sooooo sick of all the 1st and 3rd person shooters out there. Also, i think i'm one of the few who just really didn't care for fallout3. I really tried but just couldn't get into it

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this video game talk miGht force me to reconnect my n64 and play Ocarina of time

humza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I agree, completely.

Which is why out of E3, the best looking game so far to me is this one, called Journey:

2ibey6o.jpg

11j94r7.jpg

209myzd.jpg

35dat7c.jpg

b5nyup.jpg

w04c48.jpg

That looks sick.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Thanks, never heard of STALKER, will check it out. I loved Fallout and Fallout 2 back in the day, as well as Morrowind. So, I'm pretty excited about Oblivion and Fallout 3.
You're going to be pretty goddamn disappointed with that one, it is nowhere near on the same level as 1 and 2. It has a couple of moments but doesn't deserve to be considered as belonging to the franchise. Fallout is probably my all-time favourite game, I still have the original box in a closet somewhere from back in 1996 when I got it for Christmas. I didn't even finish Fallout 3. It's not that it was a terrible game, it was just sooo disappointing.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
You're going to be pretty goddamn disappointed with that one, it is nowhere near on the same level as 1 and 2. It has a couple of moments but doesn't deserve to be considered as belonging to the franchise. Fallout is probably my all-time favourite game, I still have the original box in a closet somewhere from back in 1996 when I got it for Christmas. I didn't even finish Fallout 3. It's not that it was a terrible game, it was just sooo disappointing.

Totally agreed with this...I just quit on the game about 6-8 hours in. What a disappointment. I've been toying with the idea of buying Fallout: New Vegas this winter but I hear it's more of the same as Fallout 3.

I'm probably better off beating Fallout 2 on my laptop and playing Fallout 1 for the first time.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and for those of you who want some Xbox Arcade games, there's a humongous sale this week. By my count there's over 20 games on sale...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads