Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Ok I just beat WarCraft: Orcs Vs. Humans both Human & Orc campaigns. Here's my brief analysis if anyone's interested. This game is very simple by today's standards, with not many units (a small tech tree), both races having essentially the same set of units save for the spells and the strategy being predominantly 'amass an army and attack' whilst defending your base from the odd attack here and there (and they are odd, with 1 or 2 units per attack). There is an unspecified unit cap which I found myself occasionally hitting when I had about 30 units or more, the worst part of this however is that the only way to find out is to try and buy a unit and get the message "Unable to create units" whilst losing your money. The pathfinding of the units is at times frustrating as they first try to ram forward in the direction you want them to go and only realise there are walls when they hit them, though this is expected for the time it was made. You can also only select 4 units at a time, which makes big battles a pain, though you do eventually somewhat get the hang of it. As per the games of its time, the fog of war doesn't reshroud when you go away, so you can essentially scout the whole map with one unit at the start of the game and you will see the whole map for the entire game, enemy units and all. The spellcasters bring an interesting element into RTS with the ability to heal your units, turn them invisible, make them invulnerable at the expense of health, cast a few AoE spells and summon a few units. These spells do play a good part in the game though for the most part you are still amassing military units and attacking. The graphics are simple but to the point and the sound is reasonable though can get annoying, for e.g: there is only one voice for all the human units and the same goes for orc. I found the campaign pretty fun with the briefings being simple but somewhat entertaining, with a healthy balance of standard RTS play and campaign specific missions. The difficulty was hard at first but became easier as I got the hang of the game, though it was never too easy. Overall, I found WarCraft to be good for some light-hearted entertainment but a bit too linear to keep you hooked on multiplayer or skirmish as you can essentially win any game by doing the same thing. My rating as the game stands today is 6/10.

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

Stayed up until midnight last night playing:

1. Dune 2 (first rts game ever)

2. Scorched Earth (hell yeah!)

3. Centipede

Anyone know of a repository online that would have the manuals for all these abandoned games?

Some of them have that old school "what is the second word on paragraph three of page 8 of the owners manual" type copy protecting that is surprisingly effective by today's standards lol.

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Has anyone else downloaded Game Room from X-box 360? Its not too bad, I find it funny that with all the technology available people still long for games like Combat and Adventure. (you're a fucking block in this game) I ended up purchasing Shaolin Road which I knew as Kicker, so far the best game in game room. They aren't coming out with anything else until later this month but I already have a list of old school arcade games I want to play, they include:

Rastan
    ESwat
    Burgertime
    Vigilante
    Pit Fighter
    Street Fighter 1

4. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Heavy Rain was fucking amazing, I literally couldn't put it down once I started. It's crazy how your decisions mess with your head.

buying it today, so fucking stoked.

5. breakz

breakz Senior member

buying it today, so fucking stoked.

I was ready to buy Heavy Rain until I looked back and saw Brian and dusty's posts on Demon's Souls. Now I'm hooked on that instead.

The upside: when I finally get Heavy Rain it'll be for $30 off of eBay.

Anyone here not pleased with Heavy Rain?

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Burger Time!!!

7. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

8. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

I was ready to buy Heavy Rain until I looked back and saw Brian and dusty's posts on Demon's Souls. Now I'm hooked on that instead. The upside: when I finally get Heavy Rain it'll be for $30 off of eBay. Anyone here not pleased with Heavy Rain?
    have been playing it for the past 3 hours, still have to pee, still can't bring myself to hit pause, fucking addictive game that i can not wait to play through again and try things differently. complete genius, seriously update 1: my heart is pounding, this game is seriously like a thriller movie but you star in it, i have never enjoyed any experience this much in ages, no matter what the medium, print, video, audio or what have you. this rules.

9. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

update: stopped playing for the night at 2:30 am, work tomorrow. what a fucking game, my heart was racing at times man, seriously.

10. horndog

horndog Senior member

11. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

^ You will find more information at [​IMG]..

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 all to play through after I finish my plat trophy on God of War 3. I've heard nothing but great things about Heavy Rain, so I'm stoked as you could imagine.

13. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Has anyone else downloaded Game Room from X-box 360? Its not too bad, I find it funny that with all the technology available people still long for games like Combat and Adventure. (you're a fucking block in this game) I ended up purchasing Shaolin Road which I knew as Kicker, so far the best game in game room. They aren't coming out with anything else until later this month but I already have a list of old school arcade games I want to play, they include:

Rastan
    ESwat
    Burgertime
    Vigilante
    Pit Fighter
    Street Fighter 1

I want Pitfall (I and II) and Hero. Both were great games.

Also Crystal Castles is out on it right now and its worth the money, but fuck are the controls tweaky, takes time to get used to not running around like an idiot through the whole thing.

14. Psyren

Psyren Senior member

I have Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 all to play through after I finish my plat trophy on God of War 3. I've heard nothing but great things about Heavy Rain, so I'm stoked as you could imagine.
    I rented all those games cause I'm cheap, but I wish I bought at least Uncharted 2 cause they keep updating it with new multiplayer modes. Now it seems pointless to buy it since all I'll be playing is Super Street Fighter 4 once it drops.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I want Pitfall (I and II) and Hero. Both were great games.

Also Crystal Castles is out on it right now and its worth the money, but fuck are the controls tweaky, takes time to get used to not running around like an idiot through the whole thing.

I heard Pitfall is going to be released later this month. I would also like:

Zaxxon
    Mr. Do
    Dig Dug
    Robocop
    and the arcade original version of Ninja Gaiden.

....and also, Bad Dudes.