• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

evilbananas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Gotta disagree on this. I enjoyed FFX more than others, and I'd even call it one of my favorites. But FFX's character development doesn't compare to VI or VII, and its battle system is also very easy to master.

Let's call XII what it is--a proof-of-concept. It's a single-player MMO, and like other MMOs there is little attention to character development. The battle system is still the best I've seen in a FF (haven't played XIII yet), and its world is full of life and character.

I agree that the character development in VI and VII is greater than X, but would say that is because the atmosphere is also substantially different. The in-depth character development that was present in previous FFs was just not there, because everything in X revolved around Yuna and her pilgrimage. Characters like Wakka, Titus, and Auron had a backstory for being there, where characters like Lulu and Kimari were sort of just put there; needless to say they could have been elaborated upon to a further extent.

I will disagree that the world in XII is full of life and character. There were lots of characters in the game sure, but each made mindless points that had nothing to really add. One of pleasures of the previous FFs was that characters in towns and other areas would add to the storyline and elaborate on the current events; this was simply not present in XII due to its single player MMO-type nature.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Here's the problem with FFX: it was stupid. I can suspend disbelief and enjoy the corny JRPG thing as well as anyone but that game was just plaing dumb. The storyline was ridiculous, the characters were ALL annoying (even Auron was so cheesy he grated), the bad guys were whack. Seymour was an awful villain and Jecht? Jecht is the end boss? You have no interaction with Jecht for the entire game. Kinda reminds me of how FFVIII fell apart towards the end. And it's not like X had a bunch of sidequests for character development either, it was pretty much linear. You do this pilgrimage, then you fight Sin, game over. It wasn't really a "world". Hence, while I agree with your gripes about XII in terms of it being too dungeon-ish, as I mentioned there are hardly any towns (and XIII takes this to far greater extremes) at least it had a decent cast of characters and enemies and a plot that wasn't laughable, even if they weren't developed as well as they could've been. X was a massive letdown after VI-IX.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea, none of the characters in X were likeable. They all kinda bugged me. However, to FFX's credit, i can remember most of them. I honestly can't remember or name a single character from FFXII. Making the characters more dramatic generally makes them more memorable. FFXIII is kinda that way in that in 3years i'm probably not going to remember any of the characters. I guess it's a trade off you make to make the game "more realistic" in a way.

I think i liked X a bit better than 12

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally hit chap. 11 on FFXIII. Where can I buy fun? So far I have not experienced it. Now XIII is not bad but not that good neither. If my internet connection I would be playing XI instead right now, those PUP updates make me tingly.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FFXIII is really divisive. So much that I completely understand how people will hate it. So much that I have stopped playing it so I could finish the Dragon Age expansion.

I have Resonance of Fate coming in the mail. I expect lots of bullet-time, gun-kata action.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed IX. No one played it because it was at the end of PS1's lifespan, and also because it was high fantasy instead of Sci-fi. I really enjoyed the setting and the music. Amano contributed so much, even if his char designs were watered down, and Nobuo Uematsu made his best music for the series. Anyone who didnt play this really missed out. Id much rather look at FFIX than any of the bustling metropolitan areas filled with ******* that recent FFs offer.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Just bought Fallout 3. Haven't tried it yet though.

Definitely a rent/download, don't buy game. IMO.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People either love or hate FO3. I stopped playing it because I couldn't get into the world. Please do try it though.

Today I was at the Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas. It inspired me to play FO3 again. Proportionally, about 20% at the museum were rockabillies, go figure.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some good hack and slash games for the PC (think diablo 2)? I freakin love hack and slash, I think I am the biggest fan of the Dynasty Warriors Franchise. I already have Torchlight and Borderlands (it counts) Titan Quest doesn't really appeal to me too much. Not WoW though because I hate random people interrupting my killing, I like to hack and slash on my own terms
frown.gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cannot wait for Halo Reach beta, need that now

FO3 was awesome

Dragon age and Mass Effect have been equally awesome

I kinda have to get Bioshock 2 for my gf too

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
People either love or hate FO3. I stopped playing it because I couldn't get into the world. Please do try it though.

Today I was at the Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas. It inspired me to play FO3 again. Proportionally, about 20% at the museum were rockabillies, go figure.

Fallout 1/2 and even tactics were so much more immersive. The word just wasn't very interactive or interesting to explore, it was all the same. Plus it just gets so easy around level 10 or so.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going through as many RTS games as I can on the hardest difficulty I can in chronological order, up until about 2003 or so up to Age of Mythology/Dawn of War but before C&C 3, supreme commander, etc. I will be skipping games that I think aren't any good (Dark Reign 2, 7th legion) or not my style (Medieval: Total War, Stronghold) so it shouldn't be too demanding. Haven't done much so far..

- half way through the Human Campaign of WarCraft: Orcs Vs. Humans and beat GDI campaign of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
- half way through StarCraft

Games I want to finish:
Dune II
WarCraft: Orcs vs. Humans
WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness & Beyond the Dark Portal
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Dark Reign
Homeworld - (MAYBE, found it frustrating in the past)
Total Annihilation & Core Contigency
StarCraft
Age Of Empires
Dune 2000
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun & Tiberian Sun FireStorm
Age Of Empires II: Age of Kings & The Conquerers
Cossacks / Cossacks: Back To War
Earth 2150
Ground Control
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Emperor: Battle for Dune
Age Of Mythology & The Titans Expansion
Rise Of Nations
Dawn Of War
Empire Earth II
Cossacks 2: Napolean Wars
Age of Empires III
Act Of War

It won't be easy, thats for sure. I own or owned a surprising number of these games that I've never finished, I was actually pretty good at not finishing games when I was little, but it'll be fun going through them now. RTS was always my favourite genre. I will be playing some FPSes along the way but I always felt FPS was more like you were a football player while RTS is like you're a football coach, and I prefer the latter.

If anyone's got any suggestions I'm all ears. I'll post some summaries as I make some progress on how the RTSes compare and where the different additions came in (e.g: having to select 4 units at a time in WarCraft: Orcs vs Humans is driving me insane, WarCraft 2 boosted it to 9 and C&C got rid of the 'unit selection cap' altogether).

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs

Yea, i stopped fallout3 halfway through too. Just can't get into it

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Age Of Empires
Age Of Empires II: Age of Kings & The Conquerers
Age Of Mythology & The Titans Expansion
Empire Earth II
Age of Empires III

I loved this entire line so much.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads