Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. breakz

breakz Senior member

You and I seem to have the same thoughts. Do yourself a favor and play XII sometime. It was unexpectedly brilliant. IMO it's the best of the Playstation era Final Fantasy games.

+1. Borrowing a PS2 just to finish this amazing game.

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

XII got kinda boring towards the end for me. The battle system once you got the hang of it was super easy if you knew how to set up your order of operations well and had different presets ready. Once you got to a decent level and got good weapons towards the end it was a breeze (and you never used attackmagic). I barely remember the final dungeon/boss because i remember just beating him while half paying attention, and only using physical attacks (which was the only way to go towards the end

FFIV and FFVI are my two favorites. VI was pretty mindblowing at the time and most all the characters were really likeable and IV i loved the traditional nature of it. It was simple but very effective and i enjoyed it very much and multiple times.

Didn't like VIII though i played it because the story was at least semi-interesting despite not really having likeable characters. X had good story, characters and stuff but there were too many lame sidequests that weren't worth it and blitzball was horrendous. IX was good but i never finished it because my game messed up when i was just about to ascend to the other world thing (like 3/4 through). The battle system was good, the game was cool but some of the storylines were a bit weak and i only liked like 1-3 characters.

I havent' bought XIII yet because i know i have a gamestop giftcard somwhere for like $55 for selling some old games a year ago and i want to find and use it.

Alias- What's the secret 15hours in? Is it a useless "collector" type item or is it an interesting weapon/sidequest opener/spell/etc... Normally i'm bad and use faqs and things like that not to spoil storylines or learn how to beat a boss before i face them or anything cheap like that but just to check out for hidden items/sidequests to get the most out of the game since i seem to never replay the newer games (have played ffiv, ffvi, chrono trigger, earthbound and some others a ton each). Was gonna just play FXIII straight through without looking or talking with friends about things. Did that with FFX until right before the last Sin dungeon so i could maybe see if Ultimate weapon quests were worth my time (they weren't)

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

I knew you loved FF4, judging from your avatar. I played the original NA version on the SNES, the improved version on the PS, and the awesome DS one which is by far my favorite. I love how Cecil sounds appropriately whiny.

The secret 15 hours in is you eventually enter an area that isn't linear. As far as I know there aren't any major must-have ultimate weapons, but you're going to have to do a bit of grinding if you want to survive the last stages and the final boss.

I'm thinking about starting over just so I can go over the plot again. My comprehension wasn't helped any by this head cold.

From what I hear, the PS3 version is graphically superior to the Xbox one. No big surprise there. Some evil Sony exec is laughing maniacally while being sucked off by the president of Square. we showed those gaijin hohohohoho

4. hunky

hunky Member

I'd recommend VIII. It was the first one I played but absolutely loved it, it's still timeless for me. Played IX after that and didn't like it as much, but still a great game.

5. asobu

asobu Senior member

IV is on DS? should get my hands on that. what about VI?

6. chronoaug

I knew you loved FF4, judging from your avatar. I played the original NA version on the SNES, the improved version on the PS, and the awesome DS one which is by far my favorite. I love how Cecil sounds appropriately whiny. The secret 15 hours in is you eventually enter an area that isn't linear. As far as I know there aren't any major must-have ultimate weapons, but you're going to have to do a bit of grinding if you want to survive the last stages and the final boss. I'm thinking about starting over just so I can go over the plot again. My comprehension wasn't helped any by this head cold. From what I hear, the PS3 version is graphically superior to the Xbox one. No big surprise there. Some evil Sony exec is laughing maniacally while being sucked off by the president of Square. we showed those gaijin hohohohoho
    Yea, i played it on the snes too and was good fun back in the day. The hardtype japanese rom wasn't much different dialogwise or difficulty wise from what i remember. As far as the difficulty thing. I do kinda hate it when the games are easy all the way through the end and then spikes up huge and requires a bunch of grinding that you didn't need prior. Would rather have a steady progression and keep it slightly more challenging as you went along. Part of the problem with FFXII was that by the time you did sidequests or tried fighting enemies for random drops you accidentally overleveled for the final boss. Like in Dragon Quest XIII part of the problem was that liquid metal slimes which gave an ungodly amount of xp were way too easy to find and kill if you went to the right area.
    IV is on DS? should get my hands on that. what about VI?
    They redid it in 3d. Well, it's basically like how they did final fantasy 3(the japan one). The dialog isn't changed much, though the difficulty is even jacked up from the "hardtype" which made it pretty fun. I actually didn't finish it because i started playing the ds one when it came out in japan 8months before the US and used a translation patch to translate everything but dialog and character names. Luckily i knew all the dialog anyways so was able to get to rubicant till the US one came out but i haven't gotten far in it and stopped. Definitely worth it As far as VI goes i remember hearing rumors around the time IV came out but i haven't heard anything official sense. Probably is rumor mongering on some message board or fansite somewhere but i haven't seen much. Figure they'd do V first since it's next in line and never got a proper US release (except tagged onto the FF Chronicles thing for ps1)

7. limester816

limester816 Senior member

Anyone play FIFA 10? I bought it today, having never really played it before. Hella fun but I hella suck.. I could really use some pointers.

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

The English SNES release of FFIV had some weird translation choices, like the names of the four Elemental Fiends: Scarmiglione was Milon, Cagnazzo was Kainazzo, Barbariccia was Varvalis. Character abilities were cut, and item names were changed to match spell names. The DS version is cool because, thanks to the great voice acting, you finally learn how to pronounce "Damcyan."

9. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

anybody getting God of War 3? I know, I know, it's a button masher, but it looks epic.

Just got it today. Epic is the only word to describe it. I was floored by the first level. The actual game is 100x better and has far more depth than the demo showed. The demo was a straight-up button masher, but even then it was pretty cool.

10. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Just got it today. Epic is the only word to describe it. I was floored by the first level. The actual game is 100x better and has far more depth than the demo showed. The demo was a straight-up button masher, but even then it was pretty cool.

Picked it up today; the first level might be the best 30 or so minutes in video game history. [​IMG]

11. chronoaug

The English SNES release of FFIV had some weird translation choices, like the names of the four Elemental Fiends: Scarmiglione was Milon, Cagnazzo was Kainazzo, Barbariccia was Varvalis. Character abilities were cut, and item names were changed to match spell names. The DS version is cool because, thanks to the great voice acting, you finally learn how to pronounce "Damcyan."

and the most memorable "spoony". Though the DS version actually kept it as spoony since square loved the unintended response to it

12. Psyren

Psyren Senior member

Epic is too little of a word to describe how good God of War 3 is. I'm 5 hours in so far and there has not been a single dull moment, even the confusing garden puzzle was interesting cause it reminded me of echochrome. This is most defintely GoTY FF13, Heavy Rain, & ME2 don't have anything on this.

13. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

14. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

^there was a tear in my eye....

15. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Picked it up today; the first level might be the best 30 or so minutes in video game history. [​IMG]

I was frickin' floored by it. Every second of like "OMG - DID YOU SEE THAT???"