Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Yessir

Although, I chafe slightly at Jake Gyllenhall being represented as "Persian".

2. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

3. breakz

breakz Senior member

^^ Specter has been hit or miss in recent years...let's hope he creates some Ion Storm-era magic here.

4. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

^^ Specter has been hit or miss in recent years...let's hope he creates some Ion Storm-era magic here.

That reminds me of John Romero's Daikatana:
    [​IMG]

Boy, that game was a stinker.

But I thought that Specter's recent games, Deus Ex (including it's sequel, Invisible War) and Thief were pretty good.

5. terb3ar

terb3ar Well-Known Member

^ Agreed. Highly recommend Deus Ex. Once you can get past the ancient graphics and what feels like odd controls, you'll find that it really is deserving of all the accolades it's earned.

6. breakz

breakz Senior member

Well Thief DS was a big disappointment, while opinions about Deus Ex 2 are mixed at best (never played, personally). He (almost) gets a pass just bc Thief 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock were such revolutionary games.

7. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

Well Thief DS was a big disappointment, while opinions about Deus Ex 2 are mixed at best (never played, personally). He (almost) gets a pass just bc Thief 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock were such revolutionary games.

I thought Thief: Deadly Shadows wasn't bad. It's not quite up to par with the first game, but few stealth games are. The only issues I had with the game was the AI and how it got tedious at times.
    Invisible War was also not as impressive as its predecessor, but, as with Thief 1, the original set a very high bar.
    Opinions of the game were indeed very mixed because some felt that the gameplay was dumbed down.

^ Agreed. Highly recommend Deus Ex. Once you can get past the ancient graphics and what feels like odd controls, you'll find that it really is deserving of all the accolades it's earned.

Brb, reinstalling the game. I haven't played it in a while.

8. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Not technically based on a video game, but Final Fantasy Spirits Within is alright. Or at least, so I thought.

Good point, I liked FF. The graphics are amazing.

Mortal Kombat

I'll admit to owning DVD copies of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation. The former was passable, the latter was horrible. I don't know why, but I really liked Linden Ashby's portrayal of Johnny Cage.

I also have some of the Mortal Kombat Conquest TV show episodes on VCD; again not great quality but I kinda enjoyed them in a mindless way. [​IMG]

9. terb3ar

terb3ar Well-Known Member

How could you hate the animal transformations in Annihilation? And Jax! Man, that dude was a freakin' sav.

10. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Hoo boy, Jax had some real stinkers in terms of lines. "I wish I had these [robotic arms] in high school!" Sigh.

I will say, Sandra Hess was MUCH better as Sonya Blade .....

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Do I want Counter Strike Source (It's still $20 (!!)), or is there something more current in the same genre where I can pwn some noobs with a mouse and keyboard? MGSOnline isn't working still, but I'd rather play on PC if possible anyway.

12. Helix

Helix Senior member

Team Fortress 2 is 20 bucks. Or you can spend 10 more and get the orange box, which has the entire kitchen sink of HL2 in it, which is definitely worth playing if you never have.

Or you could just get Modern Warfare 2.

13. j

I have the orange box and I played through HL2 and tons of TF2 but I want something more like CS, so I guess MW2 is what is the newest that-type-of-game.

14. j

P.s. if anyone in this thread hasn't already seen this, you should: http://www.purepwnage.com/episodes/s1/1/ Just started watching it again, still hilarious. To dude holding a squid-like thing: "Uh, give me a call next time you're cooking......Metroid..."

15. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

I have the orange box and I played through HL2 and tons of TF2 but I want something more like CS, so I guess MW2 is what is the newest that-type-of-game.

So you'd like a an online FPS that's balanced? Modern Warfare 2 is hardly balanced, as there's almost always several people using the M203, Akimbo 1887s, Tactical knives with the commando perk, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

[​IMG]