Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mauro

Mauro Stylish Dinosaur Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I really really like MW2. I called in an AC-130 gunship tonight and fucked some people up.
    I think I am doing quite well and we have a good group of Sf'ers playing with us on Xbox.

Brain- i knew something was off about you now I know.

Johnny- go fuck yourself! I do like the game.

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Distinguished Member

DA:O is a very good single player RPG. I wouldn't call it revolutionary but it's excellent if you're looking for a wonderful story driven timesink.

Speaking of timesinks, how's WoW these days jon? I used to be a world-first type dude too but the WoW grind got to me, and the e-fame of being #1 on a WoW server lost its luster real quick.

Yeah, things have kind of leveled off. Icecrown looks to be a good Sunwell-esque dungeon (and honestly, all the hard-mode stuff is the most difficult the game has ever been... the e-celeb folks just want all that content inaccessible to everyone but them), but I'm really kind of logging on and grinding achievements once or twice a week until Cataclysm comes out. I was really into arena (had the best ret-hunter team on our battlegroup), but they've ruined that bracket, so, yippee. The GF and I had a big conversation awhile back about what we wanted the next expansion to be, and Cataclysm is (eerily) perfect so I'm pretty excited. Reverting the world, new races, Gilneas (finally), implementing measures to keep people from using all those fucking add-ons, etc. I also think it's going to come earlier than most think (have heard Blizzard has a new expansion development cycle until the new MMO comes out), so I'm just kind of waiting on that, and I'd probably recommend the same to anyone that isn't paying the monthly fee right now.

The death of an immediate family member late last week followed by some weird flu-cold thing has left me exhausted and 'down'. I think I'm going to go out, pick up some Five Guys and Dragon Age: Origins to marathon this weekend. I'm usually a PC-first type of guy, but I think it'll be pretty clunky on my rig. Is the 360 version playable? [​IMG]

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I assume that if I got MW2 for PS3 I could not play with you Xbox nerds, correct? I have an Xbox 360 but no HD or controller for it, was considering getting rid of it... would I have to pay for a Live sub to play online?

Jonglover, sorry to hear of your loss.

4. horndog

horndog Distinguished Member

Dopey, I'm not sure of your system specs or if you have can run a Windows partition on your Mac, but if you can then try Supreme Commander. It's Total Annihilation's successor.

Other choices for Mac off the top of my head would be Command and Conquer: Generals and Warcraft 3.

5. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

Just beat Dragon Age as an elf mage. Pretty awesome game once Bioware fixed the issues I ranted about earlier. I'm going to play through it again, this time as a Dalish elf.

The climactic ending isn't quite as heart-pumping as the one in Mass Effect, but it was a nice resolution nonetheless. Here's hoping for some good future DLC and a sequel.

6. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I assume that if I got MW2 for PS3 I could not play with you Xbox nerds, correct? I have an Xbox 360 but no HD or controller for it, was considering getting rid of it... would I have to pay for a Live sub to play online?

Jonglover, sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes, Live and PSN are separate networks...how did you wind up with HD-less 360??

Personally, I've never been a fan of the way the CoD series handles. Always seemed oddly floaty and disconnected.

7. Manny Calavera

Thanks, j.

---

I decided to hold off on DA: O. Good thing, because it'd have been silly to get the 360 ver. on a whim.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yes, Live and PSN are separate networks...how did you wind up with HD-less 360??

Personally, I've never been a fan of the way the CoD series handles. Always seemed oddly floaty and disconnected.

I found an xbox 360 sitting on top of some boxes in the dumpster at my building. Got a PSU for it and plugged it in, it had the RROD. I called and sent it in and they fixed it and sent it back. All I have is the xbox, the PSU and an AV cable (doesn't have HDMI). Maybe I will rent one of the CoDs for PS3 or see if I can borrow it from someone before deciding whether to buy it and which system to buy it on. I wonder if there is a demo, actually. Would I have to pay for Live to play it on the Xbox?

9. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I found an xbox 360 sitting on top of some boxes in the dumpster at my building. Got a PSU for it and plugged it in, it had the RROD. I called and sent it in and they fixed it and sent it back. All I have is the xbox, the PSU and an AV cable (doesn't have HDMI).

Maybe I will rent one of the CoDs for PS3 or see if I can borrow it from someone before deciding whether to buy it and which system to buy it on. I wonder if there is a demo, actually.

Would I have to pay for Live to play it on the Xbox?

To play multiplayer, yes.

Singleplayer, no.

10. brimley

brimley Senior Member

Dragon Age is excellent. Playing through as a rogue on Hard without patching is kicking my ass, but it feels good. Very complete game, great job at making you want to spend time in the world. Origin stories are an awesome concept. Mages are ridiculously powerful BTW, equivalent of easy mode. Better visuals than I expected.

One thing that kills me is the day zero DLC and the intrusive way they sell it. See Penny Arcade: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/6/ . Didn't like the ending that much either, didn't match the pacing of the rest of the game IMO.

11. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

Dragon Age is excellent. Playing through as a rogue on Hard without patching is kicking my ass, but it feels good. Very complete game, great job at making you want to spend time in the world. Origin stories are an awesome concept. Mages are ridiculously powerful BTW, equivalent of easy mode. Better visuals than I expected.

One thing that kills me is the day zero DLC and the intrusive way they sell it. See Penny Arcade: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/6/ . Didn't like the ending that much either, didn't match the pacing of the rest of the game IMO.

This is ironic since BW commissioned the PA guys to do some DA promo comics.

12. Lel

Lel Distinguished Member

Damn Lel, your post suggests we think about MW/MW2 in the same way. are you on PSN or XBL?

Glad to hear, sometimes I think I'm just making up crazy game theories that no one else understands. I'm on the 360 but we should hop on over to the MW2 thread and talk nerdy, I'm still new to all the weapons and maps and have been letting everyone else in my house play too so I'm not very far leveled up.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I explained it as much as I care to. I just don't find it interesting, nor engaging. You can call it complex and special as much as you want, to me it's still just Modern Warfare: a decent game that I won't bother spending my time on. It's hard for me to engage in this discussion - it's like trying to argue intricacies of music or art with a fanboy when you have no strong feelings about it. My feeling toward MW2 is complete apathy, I don't DISLIKE it, it's just nothing special. Okay Lel I just finished reading your novel of a post and you completely misunderstood every point I made. Probably my fault for not explaining well enough, but every single thing you noted was a completely different interpretation of my point. [​IMG]

14. Manny Calavera

Wish I'd discovered this (credit goes to Chris Donlan, who covers free games, mostly of the Flash variety, every Friday for Edge Online): Small Worlds by David Shute

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

^^ amazing game! I love how absolutely no dialogue or narration is required to tell a story.