• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victorian Taxidermy Resources

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I want to get a taxidermed cat head, probably lion, tiger or other large predator, to put over my fireplace. I think I'd like to get an antique, and while they are pretty easy to find in London, I don't feel like going through the importation of one. Does anybody know good sources for large antique taxidermed African cat heads in the US?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't, but I'd like to award you the prize for best question I've seen posed on SF.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Great idea, I have been collecting rare animal skulls for years. My house is really creepy. Looks like there are plenty of taxidermy resources in the bay area, you might want to just try calling around.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Great idea, I have been collecting rare animal skulls for years. My house is really creepy. Looks like there are plenty of taxidermy resources in the bay area, you might want to just try calling around.
Do you keep any specimens in jars of formaldehyde? Yes, calling around to local taxidermists is a good recommendation. Pieces also show up in flea markets and auctions with some regularity, but big game cats are rare.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Do you keep any specimens in jars of formaldehyde?
I have what is called a 'suspended specimen', it's a shark in a large jar. I am not sure if it is suspended in formaldehyde though. I also have a cobra suspended in some sort of Vietnamese liquor. If you are interested in this sort of thing, a man in Greenwood has the largest private collection of pickled punks in the country (I'm guessing some natural history museums have him outclassed but I can't imagine how). You can only see it by invitation but it is definitely an interesting experience. I'll ask him what his rules are regarding regular viewing next time I run into him.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There used to be an antiques store near Noblesville, Indiana that carried very exotic items. The quality of the items was extremely high, and most were rare finds. I recall seeing all sorts of Victorian taxidermy, some encased in glass. Unfortunately, the shop has been gone for several years.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be much harder than you may expect. Shoulder mounts of cats are not very popular in the US. Full body mounts or rugs are much more common. Figure 7-10k for a full body lion. If your walls are tall enough, you could hang a lion pelt rug above the fireplace. Those are about 2-6k usually. I suppose some rugs (like this below) may be able to be converted into a shoulder mount.

!BksG6jg!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-DcEtCL!lCV)BLYikVLJ3w~~_35.JPG

They occasionally turn up on ebay and craigslist. Of course, you'd have to use some other site to search all of craigslist, nationally, at one time. The best prices will be in the most inefficient markets; flea markets, antique stores, and estate auctions.

It will be particularly hard to find vintage mounts. There just weren't that many of them done to begin with. The ones that are left usually look pretty ratty. I suspect you want something like the MGM lion, with a really nice mane. Finding a vintage specimen of that would be . . . pretty hard.

Safari Club International or the Dallas Safari Club may be able to help. The easiest (and most memorable) would be to just go to South Africa and shoot a lion yourself. Some people will tell you that the sale of any CITES listed taxidermy, across state lines, will get you in trouble with USFWS. Perhaps even within Californistan. I have never looked into the details of sales of taxidermy though, much less exotics.

You can easily and legally get a new black bear shoulder mount for $700. Add $100 for the mouth being open.

black%20bear%20shoulder.jpg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
This will be much harder than you may expect. Shoulder mounts of cats are not very popular in the US. Full body mounts or rugs are much more common. Figure 7-10k for a full body lion. If your walls are tall enough, you could hang a lion pelt rug above the fireplace. Those are about 2-6k usually. I suppose some rugs (like this below) may be able to be converted into a shoulder mount.

!BksG6jg!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-DcEtCL!lCV)BLYikVLJ3w~~_35.JPG

They occasionally turn up on ebay and craigslist. Of course, you'd have to use some other site to search all of craigslist, nationally, at one time. The best prices will be in the most inefficient markets; flea markets, antique stores, and estate auctions.

It will be particularly hard to find vintage mounts. There just weren't that many of them done to begin with. The ones that are left usually look pretty ratty. I suspect you want something like the MGM lion, with a really nice mane. Finding a vintage specimen of that would be . . . pretty hard.

Safari Club International or the Dallas Safari Club may be able to help. The easiest (and most memorable) would be to just go to South Africa and shoot a lion yourself. Some people will tell you that the sale of any CITES listed taxidermy, across state lines, will get you in trouble with USFWS. Perhaps even within Californistan. I have never looked into the details of sales of taxidermy though, much less exotics.

You can easily and legally get a new black bear shoulder mount for $700. Add $100 for the mouth being open.

black%20bear%20shoulder.jpg

Let me be the first to say something restrictive and pose this is the only way. It's a hunters trophy. If you didn't shoot it, you shouldn't showcase it.
teacha.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Let me be the first to say something restrictive and pose this is the only way. It's a hunters trophy. If you didn't shoot it, you shouldn't showcase it.
teacha.gif

Ridiculous. I wouldn't kill an animal like that, but if one was dead already, and for a hundred or so years, why the hell not enjoy it?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why you want this.
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
frown.gif

I'm not looking for something I killed, geek, I am looking for something awesome:
monkey.jpg
umbrella.jpg
turtle.jpg
croc.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why limit yourself to land?

Cast your net into the sea, my friend.

How about a predator fish?

Fish_Fletcher-for-web.jpg

I think it can be programmed to say what you want, like, "Kwilk, stop jizzing into my navy sock in the guestroom!" Stuff like that.

If not fierce enough, and you are really set on a predator, why not the Predator?

predator.jpg

You've got family connections in the biz...I'm sure it can be done.

Good ideas, right?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
frown.gif

The OP (iammatt) is all about making his guests feel uncomfortable so that they will leave as soon as possible.

I would suggest nude hosting, but in his town, that won't do it.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics