1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viccel.com socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BareSolid, Oct 5, 2009.

1. saepnirg12

saepnirg12 Senior member

Any chance of 100% cotton OTC socks in maroon/burgundy? Or is claret red your version of those colours?

2. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

How does the weight of those wool/silk socks compare to your other pure merino wool socks?

1 person likes this.
  3. Romans116

Romans116 Well-Known Member

Just ordered 2 pair. I'll follow up after i receive them with a review of some sort.

4. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Senior member

Received about 10 pairs of socks recently. As always, top quality and great colors. The new purple contrast on the navy socks is a wonderful addition (before the contrast was less distinguishable).

5. reversible

reversible Member

So a quick rundown of my experience with my Viccels.

I purchased two pairs of Summer Weights and two of Winter, delivered to my door three weeks after placing the order. All of them did not fit very well at first but broke in after a couple wears and have been quite nice. I only got black ones, but want to note that some of the threading is red. I would have preferred all black, but this is a very very minor niggle.

Overall, I would say the Winter is a better all-season sock but I prefer the lightness and breathability of the Summers - which can hang dry in still air in 6 hours if it's not too humid. They are a bit translucent but that's pretty much unnoticeable unless you're really trying. In terms of durability the threads at the calf edge started to loosen and slightly unravel pretty early on but that wasn't a big deal to me. Today though, after 4 months of wear, one of the Summers suddenly developed a hole. I found this pretty disappointing as it hasn't been very long and there have been no visible signs of wear (though they may just be too thin for that). I'll continue monitoring how the remaining ones fair though.

Current verdict: Great initial quality, but durability leaves something to be desired. For most people with a vast rotation they should be a fine choice, but I'm not sure if I'll get more. Will have to see how the rest fair.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. rickimky

rickimky Senior member

Just received my star textured socks. Viccel has nailed it with these. I had a slight problem with the regular ones expanding too much and the elastic top loosening so much so that the socks roll all the way to the ankles.

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I love my super thin full length Viccel socks!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  8. FelixTheFinn

FelixTheFinn Well-Known Member

I just spoke to Ahmet over at Viccel and I have to say that they have some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. I usually have problems with OTC socks since I have size 48 shoes (14 US, 13 UK), am very tall ~2 meters so I have large and long calves. I asked Ahmet whether the socks would fit and he said that he would send me a pair of both OTC and normal socks free of charge so I could try them on and if they would fit I could order more. If they didn't fit, I could request them to make the socks larger (add a few cm in the length or width of the calves). He said they would then make them MTO based on the specifications.

I will report back on the quality and fit once I receive the socks, but up to now I'm more than impressed.

Felix

1 person likes this.
  9. KemalOnyurt

KemalOnyurt Senior member

Hope you liked your news socks.

10. KemalOnyurt

KemalOnyurt Senior member

We have news for you,

we've started special summer discount, all Viccel products will 30% discount till end of this month.

[​IMG]
    Happy feet, Happy people

1 person likes this.
  11. FelixTheFinn

I have not received them yet, but will report back once they arrive.

12. Uttern01

Uttern01 Member

I made on order on 4 pair of socks the 21st of August and paid via PayPal, but haven't received any confirmation from Savana tekstil. I tried to mail info@viccel.com some days ago without success. Can I be sure that my order got through?

13. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

Same. Actually I paid on August 10th and haven't seen a shipment notice yet.

14. Uttern01

Uttern01 Member

Received the socks today, four pair OTC. The look is fantastic. Stayed on all day without slightest adjustment. Kind of same feel in my oxfords as wool socks, slightly more slippery. I find them really tight over the calf but not uncomfortable. I have quite pronounced calf muscles but not at all like soccer player. The socks are slightly bigger than expected but I guess they will shrink a little in the first wash. Overall a positive tryout. Strange I didn't get any order confirmation.

15. FelixTheFinn

I received my two pairs of Viccel socks a few weeks ago, but due to a major move I’ve waited until now to review them.

I ordered a pair of Navy summer weight mid-calfs and a pair of pistachio green winter weight over the calf socks. Since I have long legs, the OTC version did not reach up high enough on my calves and rested on their widest part. Due to the stout (rugby) construction of my legs they were not comfortable to wear and will thus not be reviewed based on their fit. After communicating with the customer service team over at Viccel, they said it would be no problem to let them know my measurements and have MTO socks manufactured. This problem in fit, thus does not bother me much. In case I order a MTO pair of OTC socks in the future I will review their construction and fit in another post.

Although the pistachio green socks were too small, their construction nevertheless interested me. The first thing that surprised me was how soft and yet how sturdy the socks are. This seems to come from the fact that twisted yarns are used during construction and that Egyptian Giza cotton has a very ‘silky’ texture to it. Since these were of the winter variant, they had a real nice weight and thickness to them, which I honestly prefer to thinner socks like Viccel’s summer weight lines. Although there is some stretch to them, because only natural materials are used during construction you will definitely notice a difference if you’re used to wearing socks made from synthetics. Since I only tried these socks on once and noticed they were too small in the calves, I can not speak to how they hold up to regular wears and washes.

Straight out of the box it has to be noted that the colors of the socks are incredibly vibrant. With other socks that are this vibrant in color, it often happens that the dyes fade over a few wears, especially in hotter climates where it will react with sweat. After wearing the socks several times over the last few weeks including cross-continental flights with stints in Dubai, I am very impressed. Not only are the colors as vibrant as on the first wear, but the socks show no signs of wearing out. After sitting in an airplane for 8 hours there were no signs of sagging or sliding and they still felt very comfortable on my feet. Here one thing must be noted. For my foot, the area from the bridge of the foot to the toe box is a bit tight. I only noticed this when I was sitting and had my feet angled in a certain position. Since I have quite wide and ‘tall’ feet however, others might not have the same problem. After each wear, the socks have lost some of their shape but after washing them, they look almost like new. Considering the thin construction of the summer weight socks (navy), I was afraid they would lose their shape over time, but up to now this has not occurred.

Overall it’s a pleasure to wear these socks. They come in incredibly vibrant colors, are constructed from high quality natural fibres and show little sign of wear and tear. I personally prefer the thicker construction of the winter weight socks since they seem softer and slightly more sturdy than the thinner summer variants. Future buyers should note two things: (1) that shipping can take around two weeks and (2) that the colors might be too vibrant for some tastes. I wouldn’t think this to be a problem with darker tones like navy, grey, black and brown, but lighter colors like green, yellow and pink will be very vibrant. Overall I have very little bad to say about my experience with Viccel socks. At 10-15 $ a pair, free world-wide shipping and an exceptional customer service, I will definitely buy them again.

Felix

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  16. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Is there any way to track my order?

Placed my order on 8/21, and have yet to receive an update beyond my order being prepared...on 8/21.

Nothing I find particularly disconcerting, but I'd love to know if my order is actually on its way.

17. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

They don't provide tracking for small orders. You're out of luck until it shows up at your door.

18. ericgereghty

My order is undeniably small, but I'm not even talking tracking...just a simple "it's shipped," and perhaps an "it's in America" would suffice lol.

19. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

Yeah they don't do that either, unfortunately. Ha. You will get an automated email in a month asking if you received the package though.

20. ericgereghty

In fairness to Viccel, 3ish weeks (while not ideal) is not necessarily an unexpected duration for a shipment...just want the damn socks already lol.