• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vibrating Razors

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much is a good basic straight razor?

Where do you get this good affordable straight razor?

Currently I use Poraso with out a brush, just hand lather in the shower and a Mach 3.

I do not want to mess with a brush as I travel all the time. With a straight razor, can I get through security?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

Currently I use Poraso with out a brush, just hand lather in the shower and a Mach 3.

I do not want to mess with a brush as I travel all the time. With a straight razor, can I get through security?

The first place I would point you to is the B/S/T pages on StraightRazorPlace or BadgerandBlade. I've bought from members on both sites, and the razors come shave-ready - which is a tricky proposition on most commercial sites and pretty well any store.

How much? It depends on the razor. From the storefronts I've seen, new Dovos start around $80 (iirc) and go up from there. Thiers-Issard razors start a bit higher and - if their f&f is as good as the Le Grelot I received from their factory - the higher price is warranted.

From the b/s/t forums, prices will vary - I've bought some real gems for as low as $30, and then you've got some people unloading Livis and Pumas for $350+.

Proraso works beautifully with a straight. However I would not consider using a straight in the shower. I have to have my hands dry, because dropping these razors can be very troublesome. In some cases the steel is brittle and the lighter grinds will crack/break/shatter.

And, if you make it though security with one of these in your jacket pocket, I would be amazed. I kinda think the odds are closer to you being tazered just for having one.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

On top of Thomas's post, you can get a whole starting kit for less than $100, I believe from StraightRazorPlace (SRP). I believe they give some stuff away for free even.

a straight razor and a brush aren't the only thing that you need. There's also the strop, and most people will have a honing stone as well, unless you're willing to pay $20 every few months to get your razor sharpened.

According to TSA, the only shaving appliances allowed are electric or cartridge shavers (and extra cartridges) such as your Mach 3 or the Fusion. So safety razors and straight razors would need to be checked in or left at home. They do, however, let you check it in though. Unfortunately nowadays that costs money.

I suppose the other option for safety razors are to leave your blades and then buy blades when you get to your destination. Not sure how well that would work, but I couldn't imagine it being hassle free.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the M3Power or something like that.

Going into it, I thought that it was totally a gimmick. However, I was willing to risk the $8 or so on it and I'm glad I did. I think that I actually do get a better shave with the vibrations.

Don't have the balls to try a straight razor. I'm too clumsy and my mother would end up being sad.

supercarl

Reaction score
i can't get along with safety razors, contrary to what most people seem to be saying i prefer fusion
fight[1].gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Mach 3 did not work for me. I tried the powered Fusion model and think it is the best razor I've used. I had to adjust my technique by applying very little pressure and shaving slowly but the results are a closer shave and less irritation. It is really much more effective than any other razor I have used.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I use cheap BIC disposable razors. They just have the two blades. I try to shave as quickly as possible. What I hate about shaving is the amount of time it takes and the money it costs. Really, cuts and burns are easy to ignore. Aftershave normally kills any bacteria anyway.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on the DE/straight, shaving soap/cream/ and brush.

It is far more luxurious and enjoyable, and in the long run, far cheaper than those multi-bladed monstrosities. Just out of curiosity how much does a mach 5 cartridge cost? A double edge blade lasts me a week and costs me less than 20 cents. The difference in closeness is extreme. A single blade shaves closer hands down. You just have to be willing to make the initial investment to get the gear, and put up with the small learning curve on using a real razor to shave with rather than a carrot scraper, but the effort is WELL worth it.

The morning shave is one of my favorite times of the day. If you don't know what it feels like to lather shaving soap on your face with a hot, silvertip badger hair shaving brush, you are really missing out.

Speaking of which, I'm missing out too because my gf has commandeered my brush to use for her legs.

Shraka

Reaction score
Hrm, I might give the Fusion Power deal a go. There not that expensive.

I would give a straight razor a try, but currently my house is designed badly and I have no mirror directly in front of the sink. This means I have to turn my body at a funny angle to see in the mirror. I imagine lots of blood trying to use a straight razor like that!

Perhaps once I get myself to a nicer house I'll give it a try.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vibrating razors strike me as one of the most useless products among the many useless products offered today. Maybe it's unisex, if you get my drift.

jsherman02

Reaction score
I have used straight razors, DE razors and I always come back to a Mach 3 type blade. Less work and close to the same shave. I would get nicks at least once a week with a straight and have not nicked myself in the past four months using a mach 3.

As for the vibrating "thing" it is a gimmick and I do not use it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I find the vibrating ones shave _too_ close, or something, leading to ingrown hairs and irritation. YMMV.
+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics