• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vibram vs Commando soles

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Apologies for the somewhat basic thread. I'm looking into a pair of Alden Indy boots and deciding which type of sole I want. I'm not a fan of the Neoprene sole, so I'm looking into one with lugs in it.

The Kudu 404 has a Vibram sole on the bottom which fits in theory, but I've heard that the sole is simply glued whereas a Commando sole is welted on. Does that mean I can only resole using another Vibram sole? Or can I replace the sole with anything I choose? Also are there advantages to one over the other?

Thanks!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Vibram looks better but commando is probably more practical
thumbs-up.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd be better off going over to the SW&D side where there is an enormous thread on Alden's and asking this question; LeatherSoul sponsors it, so don't worry about lack of expertise over there.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
James: thanks, I'll cross post there.

I'm still curious as to whether you can resole a pair of vibrams to something else since they're glued though and not welted.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
I'm still curious as to whether you can resole a pair of vibrams to something else since they're glued though and not welted.

Yeah. They slice em off and glue another vibram sole on. Modern combat boots are no longer welted, and they are resoled in this manner. There are quite a few sole patterns, I'm sure there is a suitable one.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Yeah, but I meant, could you slice off a vibram sole and then put on a welted sole after? Like leather or dainite, etc?

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
Yeah, but I meant, could you slice off a vibram sole and then put on a welted sole after? Like leather or dainite, etc?

You can definitely resole to whatever takes your fancy, but probably not welted per se. Blake stitching would be the alternative.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I found some Aldens in Toronto today to try on and examine. It seems the 404 (Kudu w/Vibram) is actually a goodyear welted sole anyway. The Vibram is glued onto a piece of leather so that you can resole any welted sole later if you wished or replace the vibram. Definitely contemplating copping them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't Vibram just a brand of "commando" sole? Isn't it like saying, "when you get a cut do you use a Band-Aid, or an adhesive strip?"

At any rate these are Vibrams on a blake/rapid stitched sole:

DSC02443.jpg

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vibram is a brand with many ranges of product. Commando is a type of thread pattern not exclusive to Vibram, most British shoe makers use a brand called itshide.

I fail to see how you can/ would want to compare a brand vs a product type.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Vibram is a brand with many ranges of product. Commando is a type of thread pattern not exclusive to Vibram, most British shoe makers use a brand called itshide.

Correct.....Further, the Itshide Commando gets stitched on. The lugs are recessed so they can't be seen from the profile. It's a much sleeker look.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Correct.....Further, the Itshide Commando gets stitched on. The lugs are recessed so they can't be seen from the profile. It's a much sleeker look.

that's the deal breaker for my on all the Alden boots with this sole, they are so clunky. I wished they used Dainite or the commando you mention.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

Originally Posted by Nick V.

Yes, and there are goodyear welted Vibram soles in different lug patterns...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads