1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vibram 5 fingers

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by CTGuy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Been looking into Vibrams for a while now and finally plunged and decided to buy a pair of KSOs.

Can't wait to try em out for real tomorrow :slayer:

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Bump. I am thinking of using my REI 20% discount and member dividend on a pair of FiveFingers. I don't run (my sport of choice is rock climbing), but may start if these are good. :) Any other reviews? I have flat feet and a second toe that is slightly longer than my big toe -- will the FFs fit well?

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm considering them or something similar mainly because they''ll be easier to pack for travel.

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

One of the many great attributes of the VFF's.

5. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior member

The two biggest problems for me are:
    1) They can start to smell pretty bad
    2) They suck when it's wet outside

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm not at all sure about the flat foot thing, but depending on how much you climb (and where), you'll be right at home in the FiveFingers...

I've cruised around bouldering areas in climbing shoes for ages. If you can handle walking around in climbing shoes, FFs will be second nature.

I personally don't use them for running, but only because of the sweat issue: because of the shape of my feet, I can't wear them with socks. My feet sweat a lot, so they need socks when I run. I've been using Merrell Trail Gloves with success. But I still like a little more padding when I run.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

What kind of socks have you tried with the VFF?

8. Ambulance Chaser

Shoes are great, durability is shit. I have had the shoes for a few months and worn them very frequently. On the right shoe, the connection between the strap that runs behind the shoe and the D-ring of the velcro strap has frayed and is almost gone. Time to test REI's return/exchange policy.

9. whiteslashasian

That's disconcerting. I've worn the crap out of mine, at least 4 days a week for lifting and jogging for the last 18 months and have zero durability issues. Perhaps the quality has gone down on the more recent batches?

10. Ambulance Chaser

They also reek. As bad as my Evolv Defy rock climbing shoes, which up to now was the gold standard for malodorious footwear. With all these faults, I still love them and will get a replacement rather than a refund.

11. Relentless

Relentless Active Member

+1 - :nodding:

After using these for squat and deads, you will not go back to sneakers. I wear 5 Fingers to the gym two days per week (squat day / deadlift day) and wear normal training shoes for my cardio and the other two days in my lifting cycle (chest day and shoulders/arms day).

Cheers,
    R

12. whiteslashasian

I use a shitload of antibacterial hand soap with a brush and then white vinegar solution bath. Seems to do the trick.

My buddy swears by using denture cleaner in a large ziploc bag and letting the VFF's soak in them for a while. Scrub, rinse, then throw in the washer for a cycle.

I use them whenever I'm in the gym now. Squatting, deads, cleans, snatches, etc are so much better in them.

I ordered some NB Minimus trail zeros but had to exchange to size down (most reviews said to size up and I did, oh well), so they should be in my hands by the end of the week.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wear NB Minimus Zeros for all my workouts - squats, deads, snatches, etc. - as well as running. They work really well for me.

14. whiteslashasian

I'm LOVING the Trail Zero's. Wore them for an outdoor workout and have been walking around NYC in them to and from the gym. Fantastic fit and feel, far better traction than my VFF Sprints, and are incredibly comfortable.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  15. Ambulance Chaser

I exchanged my defective (and now discontinued) KSOs for the TrekSport model, which seems to be the upgraded version of the KSO that sacrifices some minimalism for enhanced comfort and durability. If the same problem occurs, I'm going to have to switch to the laces version of the VFF.