1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vibram 5 fingers

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by CTGuy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

I have tried running totally barefoot and I definitely preferred it to sneakers. I think this will be the best hybrid between barefoot and some kind of protection.

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

i'm going to try some of these on this week. the only thing i'm concerned about is that i use the nike+ipod to track my runs and i'm not sure how i can attach the chip to these shoes securely.

3. futhark

futhark Member

i'm going to try some of these on this week. the only thing i'm concerned about is that i use the nike+ipod to track my runs and i'm not sure how i can attach the chip to these shoes securely.

I got the Vibram FiveFinger KSO's and the Nike chip fits perfectly on top of my foot beneath the stretchy webbing. I don't even feel the chip.

Best,

http://www.kendallgiles.com/kegblog/

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Has anyone tried the fivefingers for running indoor / outdoor obstacle courses or anything like that?

I sometimes go to a local gym and for a typical class we'll do kettle bells, some running (both outdoor and indoor) with sudden stops and turns, small obstacle courses, etc...

Are these the type of sneakers that one can do that sort of thing or are they really just for running?

I think I'm afraid that they'll slip and slide on my feet if I try to stop quickly.

5. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Has anyone tried the fivefingers for running indoor / outdoor obstacle courses or anything like that?

I sometimes go to a local gym and for a typical class we'll do kettle bells, some running (both outdoor and indoor) with sudden stops and turns, small obstacle courses, etc...

Are these the type of sneakers that one can do that sort of thing or are they really just for running?

I think I'm afraid that they'll slip and slide on my feet if I try to stop quickly.

I would say that they were designed for a variety of activities. According to the website they are for martial arts, yoga, climbing, etc.

6. adversity04

adversity04 Senior member

They're supposed to fit like a second skin over your foot. Of course it won't be perfect, but make sure you get the correct size. I'm having less slip with them than I was in my Frees for the same type of activities.

7. unjung

unjung Senior member

I play ultimate frisbee in them. No injuries thus far.

8. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I play ultimate frisbee in them. No injuries thus far.

Your feet don't slide around inside the shoes?

9. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Some skeptical friend claims these shoes will give me "planters faceitis" or something. Any truth to that?

10. unjung

unjung Senior member

Your feet don't slide around inside the shoes?

No. I downsized until I had a snug fit. No issue with sliding.

Some skeptical friend claims these shoes will give me "planters faceitis" or something. Any truth to that?

Perhaps? I don't know enough about it. I would assume it would depend on your body and the way you use them. Only one way to find out. I try to minimize my use of the VFFs on asphalt.

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I've used Nike Frees for a couple of years, and have in the past several weeks been having problems with plantar fasciitis. I don't think that any of the "barefoot simulation" shoes are going to cause PF problems if you use them in moderation. But based on my personal experience, I also don't think they provide nearly as much benefit as their marketing departments would have you believe.

12. whiskeylaureate

whiskeylaureate Senior member

Probably have to stitch it on...that's what a lot of people do with their non-Nike running shoes, or put them in the tongue, but since these don't have tongues...

13. why

why Senior member

There will be an increased likelihood at the start and probably a decreased likelihood after prolonged usage, but overuse injuries pretty much are inevitable with running to begin with. Your friend is probably just seeking vindication for his running style.

14. adversity04

But based on my personal experience, I also don't think they provide nearly as much benefit as their marketing departments would have you believe.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Advantages+of+barefoot+running

15. retronotmetro

16. unjung

unjung Senior member

I'm an idiot and was thinking of shin splints. I don't think running barefoot would cause PF, because you will start striking toe/ball-first, rather than heel-first. But I don't know for sure.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

17. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'm recovering from plantar fasciitis, and I just picked up a pair precisely in order to strengthen my foot muscles. I don't want to spend the rest of my life wearing orthotics.

The orthotics helped address the acute pain of the PF, but now that I'm past that, I wanted something that would help prevent a relapse by strengthening my feet.

I haven't played ultimate in them yet though. I'm tempted to try, but I'm worried they won't offer much traction...

18. unjung

unjung Senior member

I haven't played ultimate in them yet though. I'm tempted to try, but I'm worried they won't offer much traction...

Do it, and just be aware. I run the same way on the field in them as I do on the trail, toes striking first, and I think that helps with stability. I have also adopted an odd sprinting style where I am lower to the ground and keep my feet further apart, which seems to help. I've had opponents complain because they can't hear me coming for an interception!

19. adversity04

Unfortunately, your smartass little link does not improve the pain in my arches.

And your response doesn't show causation nor was foot pain ever mentioned.

I'm going to stick to cleats for ultimate just because I'm able to cut better in them. I'll let you know how big of an issue traction is in a few days after I've been able to play some rec. games in them.

20. retronotmetro

And your response doesn't show causation nor was foot pain ever mentioned.

Plantar fasciitis was clearly mentioned in my initial post above. Foot pain is one of its symptoms.

I never said the Nikes caused my PF, but I did not have it before and I do now. This leads me to believe that their prophylactic effect may be overstated.

While we're on the subject, here's something I googled up that I thought would be appropriate:

http://docforjocks.blogspot.com/2009...t-running.html

I started using Nike Frees specifically because I have flat feet and have had pronation-related issues (but not PF) in the past. I also have 20 years of karate training (all barefoot) and that means I'm more accustomed to exercising without highly cushioned shoes than the average person. So I came into the experiment with an open mind. I'm now less enthusiastic of the potential benefits of barefoot running than I used to be.

If you read up on the subject, you will see that while there are podiatrists who argue the benefits of barefoot running, there are also podiatrists who advise people with low arches to avoid barefoot running or the use of barefoot style shoes because they don't necessarily train your foot to avoid the ill effects of anatomically induced overpronation. Which I believe may have been the case with my situation.

If 5 Fingers work for you, great. You don't have to treat other people like idiots if their experience differs.