Vibram 5 fingers

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by CTGuy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

Do any of you guys use Vibram 5 Fingers? I have been reading a lot about barefoot running and I actually gave it a shot this week. I had a lot less ankle pain than I usually experience; however, I am not sure I really want to run totally barefoot all the time. The Vibrams seem like a cool solution, although I know there are some more traditionally looking alternatives out there. Any experiences?

2. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

I see a few people wearing them at Crossfit, most like them for lifting. As for running, I have been using the Nike Frees for the last couple of months. I don't go out and run 10 miles at a time in them but for sprinting and shorter runs, I really like them. They are extremely light and just enough cushion.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I love running POSE (similar to barefoot in theory), but after a few weeks/months I get stress reactions in my feet. Whether it's due to high arches or too much weight or what-have-you, I don't know.

4. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

l

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

5. CorneliusP

CorneliusP Senior member

I got the KSO model for barefoot weightlifting at a tip from my old gym owner. Then I had to move to a new gym where I was kicked out for wearing them because they "wouldn't protect my feet from dropped weights." Before I left I asked the manager if his running shoes were rated by ANSI as foot protection and was told that I probably wouldn't be welcome at that gym.

I went back the next day with a new pair of chucks and had to apologize to get in. Only gym close enough to get to by bike [​IMG]

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

I got the KSO model for barefoot weightlifting at a tip from my old gym owner. Then I had to move to a new gym where I was kicked out for wearing them because they "wouldn't protect my feet from dropped weights." Before I left I asked the manager if his running shoes were rated by ANSI as foot protection and was told that I probably wouldn't be welcome at that gym.

I went back the next day with a new pair of chucks and had to apologize to get in. Only gym close enough to get to by bike [​IMG]

Hahahaha...he must've confused the toe shells of the chucks with steel toe plates.

7. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

That is truly funny.

8. robin

robin Senior member

^ Seriously, wtf is that. Sneakers are not going to protect anything.

9. unjung

unjung Senior member

I run and play in VFFs. I love them. They will change your running style. I don't know about that POSE shit. I do what came naturally - mostly run on my toes. Feels great, can go way further. Think about the line between your skull and heel when you run on your heels. On strike, it's a straight line. The shock goes right through your body and stresses everything. When you run on your toes, you're like a spring and you distribute the shock. [​IMG] I've looked at alternatives and I see nothing that seems to be on the same level. Either they have too much padding and eliminate all advantages (Nike Frees), or the soles are too thin and will wear through. http://www.barefootrunner.com/category/reviews/ You absolutely must try them on before buying though, as they size large. Like damn large (size and a half for me).

10. CorneliusP

CorneliusP Senior member

^ Seriously, wtf is that. Sneakers are not going to protect anything.

I left out the part of that anecdote of a trainer that first approached me before I spoke to the manager. The trainer actually suggested that I wear steel toe boots while lifting - which I said I would go get from my office nearby - before the manager interrupted and the spiel that I described before took place.

I don't do anything with my VFFs now except show them to friends when I'm feeling goofy. Waste of 80 bucks? Maybe. They're still neat and I throw them on to walk to the supermarket.

11. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That's horseshit.

I have a pair of KSO's and Sprints, and they're the only shoes that I wear to the gym. They're like God's gift to compound lifts. I get all sorts of dodgy looks for them, but luckily I'm already in a relationship.

Seriously, they're worth every penny.

12. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

i workout bare foot a lot, i work at the gym i workout at so no one says anything. but i do want to get a pair of the Sprints for running and lifting in

13. why

why Senior member

I run barefoot or use track spikes (right now using Asics HyperSprint) on the track.

14. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

i have two but don't use them to run or lift. might start running on sand with them.

15. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

It's kinda scary how the thread topics mirror the other forums I'm on.

I started the same thread a couple of days ago on the S&P forum and it shows up here.