• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viberg x Styleforum GMTO - Round one for 2017

Which (full dsecription below) would you BUY (please do not vote unless you intend to puchase)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any word on the finalized makeups yet?

Slipper on mini ripple:
19933320_177979212742263_1881973335311515648_n.jpg
Not quite yet. There were a few conflicts with models in production that we found the last minute, and Ryan will be giving me some alternatives and also a price list (since that might influence people's purchasing decisions) hopefully by the end of the week.

Sorry for the delays, guys.

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got the word back this morning, with the following notes. If something is crossed out, it's not possible/someone else ordered the leather/etc... Please read the bolded comments carefully. I'm going to give you guys a few days to mull this over. And then we can get started.

So, we are off to a nice, but not perfect, start.

Cheers,

Fok.

Model: Slipper
Last: 40218
Leather: N̶a̶t̶u̶r̶a̶l̶ ̶K̶a̶n̶g̶a̶r̶o̶o̶ Alternatives: Milkshake Suede / Italian Grey Suede / Washed Brown Kangaroo / Grey Kudu (stock allowing)
Construction: Goodyear welt, channeled insole
Sole: Leather midsole and wedge heel, white Vibram Mini Ripple outsole
Eyelets: N/A
Toe: Unstructured (standard Slipper construction)

Model: Chelsea Boot
Last: 2050
Leather: Black Oil Tan Roughout
Sole: Dainite Sole, Antique Midsole & Flat Welt
Construction: Goodyear Welt Construction
Notes: Black Elastic, No pull tab Will be hard to get on without pull tab

Leather: N̶a̶t̶u̶r̶a̶l̶ ̶W̶a̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶F̶l̶e̶s̶h̶ Natural CXL Roughout / Brown Waxed Flesh (very rough break in period in waxed flesh)
Sole: Dainite Sole, Natural Midsole & Flat Welt
Notes: Tan/Brown Elastic, Pull Tab

Model: Scout boot
Last: 2030
Leather: Some navy roughout- reverse kudu, chamois, etc. depending on stock Navy Inferno roughout (pic attached)
Construction: Stitchdown, unless GYW is required for the leather in stock GYW will be lighter weight.
Sole: Leather wedge w/ white Vibram mini-ripple
Eyelets: 7 eyelets- nickel
Toe: Plain toe, unstructured
Notes: Navy tongue, leather rolled around top opening, pull tab present (not sure if this needs specifying for Scout, but just in case)

Last: 2030 or 110 last
Leather: B̶e̶i̶g̶e̶ ̶k̶a̶n̶g̶a̶r̶o̶o̶ Natural Horse / possible new Maryam horse leathers
Construction: GYW
Sole: Natural midsole (stacked leather if approved), Mini ripple sole
Eyelets: Brass eyelets
Notes: Gusseted tongue, pull tab Set-in tongue

Model: Derby Boot
Leather: Natural Kangaroo May be able to order more in / Natural Horse
Construction: Goodyear welt, channelled insole
Sole: Leather, dovetail heel
Eyelets: 8 blind eyelets
Toebox: partially constructed toe (pingpong)

Model: Service boot
Last: 2045
Leather: Mid Brown or dark tan horse butt (Italy) Brown Horse Butt
Construction: Stitchdown
Sole: natural midsole, Cats Paw/Vibram heel with double leather sole OR Vibram 705 half comp sole with Vibram heel - please decide which, either is combination is possible, One is cool. The other is much more practical.
Eyelets: 7 eyelets- Brass or antique brass
Toebox: plain toe structured toe box
Notes: Non Contrast gussetted tongue- Smooth side, Pull tabs

Model: Derby shoe
Last: 2040
Leather: Natural chromexcel
Construction: Stitchdown GYW
Sole: Natural midsole, Vibram Gloxi cut sand
Eyelets: 5 eyelets- antique brass 6 eyelets
Toebox: plain toe, partially constructed toe (pingpong)

Model: 6" SCOUT Boots, 2-tone
Leather: [Black] Tumbled Horsehide x Roughout Shaft No tumbled black horse / Scotch Grain Print Horse Butt (Italy) w/ roughout
Construction: GYW StormWelt[Black]
Sole: [Black] Gloxi-cut
Eyelets: 8-Gunmetal
Toebox: Partially Structured toe
Notes:
• [Optional] Kilties
• NO Pull-up Not possible - strap Pattern has pull tab
• All-around__ Grey**Tonal Stitching [including 360• welt stitch]

styleophile

Reaction score
Chelsea Boot: Leaning toward the brown waxed flesh vs. CXL roughout.

Could someone shed light on why the break-in is very rough for waxed flesh?
Based on what I have read, the hides are treated identically, except that waxed flesh is finished/treated on the rough side, while CXL is finished on the smooth side.

Also, it would appear that waxed flesh develops more character and variegation with time vs. roughout.

Always happy to learn

kevenmee

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Leather: Some navy roughout- reverse kudu, chamois, etc. depending on stock Navy Inferno roughout (pic attached)
Construction: Stitchdown, unless GYW is required for the leather in stock GYW will be lighter weight.
Sole: Leather wedge w/ white Vibram mini-ripple
Eyelets: 7 eyelets- nickel
Toe: Plain toe, unstructured
Notes: Navy tongue, leather rolled around top opening, pull tab present (not sure if this needs specifying for Scout, but just in case)

Can anybody else see the pictures attached?

jlchau

Reaction score

Based on what I have read, the hides are treated identically, except that waxed flesh is finished/treated on the rough side, while CXL is finished on the smooth side.

Also, it would appear that waxed flesh develops more character and variegation with time vs. roughout.

Always happy to learn

I have a couple pairs of Viberg Chelsea's and they are all lined (tan horse, reverse mushroom chamois). I'm not sure if they would line the already thick waxed flesh, you'd have to check with Andrew Chen from 3Sixteen on his pair. That said, I've only worn my reverse mushroom chelsea's and they were pretty tough to break in. A thicker leather like WF would definitely have a tougher break in period.

I also have a pair of boots in natural CXL roughout and a pair in brown waxed flesh. The natty CXL roughout is definitely softer feeling than the waxed flesh pair. The wax coating may just make a bit more stiff.

Just some thoughts.

mattw

Reaction score
Natural horse is proposed as a kangaroo substitute for a few items, but not the slipper. Looking to doubly confirm that it is not available for a slipper on mini-ripple?

Not interested in a suede on the slipper makeup.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sole: Dainite Sole, Antique Midsole & Flat Welt
Notes: Black Elastic, No pull tab Will be hard to get on without pull tab

Impartial either way. I prefer no tab, and never use my pull tabs anyways. But, I'm good on your recommendation if its needed to go forward or to sell more units.

And look at that antique welt on the new Chelseas Viberg posted today on IG.... :inlove:

gte872h

Reaction score
Model: Service boot
Last: 2045
Leather: Mid Brown or dark tan horse butt (Italy) Brown Horse Butt
Construction: Stitchdown
Sole: natural midsole, Cats Paw/Vibram heel with double leather sole OR Vibram 705 half comp sole with Vibram heel - please decide which, either is combination is possible, One is cool. The other is much more practical.
Eyelets: 7 eyelets- Brass or antique brass
Toebox: plain toe structured toe box
Notes: Non Contrast gussetted tongue- Smooth side, Pull tabs

Guys,

The 2045 was my proposal and I added the Vibram half comp sole as a compromise since I'm just about the only idiot who prefers leather soles. I couldn't risk passing up my grail boot opportunity, so I placed a MTO through Freeman's. Please feel free to remove the leather sole option from the proposal.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Model: 6" SCOUT Boots, 2-tone
Leather: [Black]Scotch Grain Print Horse Butt (Italy) w/ roughout
Construction: GYW StormWelt [Black]
Sole: [Black] Gloxi-cut
Eyelets: 8-Gunmetal
Toebox: Partially Structured toe
Notes:
• [Optional] Kilties
• NO Pull-up Not possible - strap Pattern has pull tab
• All-around__ Grey**Tonal Stitching [including 360• welt stitch]

I'm good w/ the SG print Horsebutt & pulltabs ... would they consider stitchdown, since it's a horsebutt?!

Personally, id like to keep the original gyw+stormwelt config, but id swing SD way if I can get [this] made:slayer:

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's murdaaaaaa. The oil roughout would look insane on the slipper

Model: Slipper
Last: 40218
Construction: Goodyear welt, channeled insole
Sole: Leather midsole and wedge heel, leather outsole (painted black)

After looking at some worn viberg slippers, its ever so apparent to me they need some elastic between the tongue and the body as the tongue starts to curl upward with wear and looks disgusting. If we added a little side gore, these would be the dopest slip ons ever

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.
I'm good w/ the SG print Horsebutt & pulltabs ... would they consider stitchdown, since it's a horsebutt?!

Personally, id like to keep the original gyw+stormwelt config, but id swing SD way if I can get [this] made:slayer:
Yeah, possibly. I'd have ask.

I could see this boot in either construction.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Natural horse is proposed as a kangaroo substitute for a few items, but not the slipper. Looking to doubly confirm that it is not available for a slipper on mini-ripple?

Not interested in a suede on the slipper makeup.
It may be possible. Something worth bringing up, I think.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Always happy to learn

CXL is much more pliable. The waxed flesh is super stiff and thick. I would be murder to break them in. That said, they could be cool, in the say that 32 ounce denim is cool.

Graemsay

Reaction score
I'm open to leather choices for the slippers. Natural kangaroo was actually a spur of the moment thing.

Natural horse, as @mattw pointed out, would be straight substitution.

Would it be possible to get a photo of the washed brown kangaroo? I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like.

I quite like the sound of the grey kudu. It'd be a bit different, and in a good way.

Lastly, mushroom suede was mentioned, however I was wondering if mushroom chamois would be an option? Someone suggested it a page or two back, and if it's anything like the tobacco used on the Hoppers, it'll age beautifully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads