• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Viberg Shell Cordovans defect?

mso49

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster and long time lurker. I recently finally pulled the trigger on my first pair of shell cordovans. A pair of black viberg chelsea boots. When I received the order I noticed there were bits of glue on the elastic, some holes on the back panel of the left boot as well as a white spot on the right boot. Are these normal or considered a defect? I’ve tried first brushing the white spot with a horsehair brush and it wouldn’t go away. Then I tried wiping it wih a damp cloth, using deer bone, and spot treating with Venetian shoe cream and it’s still there. Any advice? I guess if it came down to it I can live with the glue and the small holes but the white spot is pretty unsightly especially on black
31189C33-8E0E-44D2-A1AA-BFBFA8B4FBFC.jpeg
35076D0B-EC7F-40D1-A416-99F74D1FCAA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
The glue is probably acceptable, but the holes and white spot not... at least not for full price. I would try to negotiate a partial refund or return them for a new pair if that’s possible.

mso49

Reaction score
Thanks. I sent them an email and they have yet to respond. At first I thought the white spot was just bloom but the fact that it won’t go away makes me question otherwise.

Well I was eyeing their colour 8 Chelsea’s in shell but depending on how they handle this issue will affect my purchase decision.

Anachronist

Reaction score
You will find that Cordovan leather is kind of sensitive despite all its hard wearing abilities. It will “bloom” after every wear (the natural oils that the leather has been steeped in for a long time) and every drop of water on them will cause spots. All of that can be polished out again, but if you want to keep them shiny, they are higher maintenance than Calf skin. But boy can they take a beating... the leather is virtually indestructible. Fingers crossed you get a good solution for the issue. Wear them in good health!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.