• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viberg for Styleforummarket Order #2: Suggestions

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be in on bison but it's unfortunately very similar in color to my one pair of boots.
That's not unfortunate. That's fortuitous. It means that you have the wardrobe to wear them, and they will become something you reach for. A lot of us tend towards a certain style, and purchases are evolutionary.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to do some sort of explanation of what the difference is between the different lasts.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it would be a good idea to do some sort of explanation of what the difference is between the different lasts.

I'd love this, or at least one experienced person's culling of some internet pics of them that are representative (I know the details like toe cap, sole etc can affect the look a little)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy was supposed to do this, but the man is busy. I posted a description of the differences between the most popular lasts (110, 2030, 2040) in a post in the Viberg thread, though, that was taken from the Viberg blog).

Cheers,

Fok.

flatspotting

Reaction score
Loden Green Service boot would be very nice to have in this MTO..

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fok,

As we begin to hone in on these selections would it be possible to put all the swatches together in a single post? Maybe update the front page? It would be really helpful for me to see the bison, loden green and suedes all together. If it's a pain please don't bother.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Iotan.

I like the 2030 last - and really liked the boots that we had made for the first go around. Ultimately, however, there are a lot of different ideas going around, even for any single makeup, and I need to make a decision based both on members' preferences, and my own design editing abilities, to produce a few fits for the community to vote on and choose from. I've been hearing a lot of calls for lasts other than the 2030 last.

In this go around, I'll probably put 4 boots up for consideration, and will probably whittle that down to 2, or maybe 3 if I get enough hard commitments. Of the 4 boots, probably there will be one on the 2030 last, while the others will reflect the diversity of opinions that I've been hearing from the community, and the diversity of Viberg's lineups.

I think the thing to keep in mind is - if you see a makeup that you like, you should jump on it, because the likelihood of seeing it again, or honestly, something very close to it, is low to nil. (that said, we do have a pair of cinnamon roughouts in 10, and a pair of the black standard boots, in 9.5. If anyone is interested, the cinnamon boots are in the store: http://www.styleforummarket.com/viberg-cinnamon-roughout-service-boots-exclusively-for-styleforum/ and I can get them out tomorrow. If you want the black boots, email me at [email protected].

Cheers,

Fok.

If one is going to be on 2030 last, I'd push for the loden. I will be open to the 2040, though. I fully understand where you are coming from, Fok. At the same time, for those of us non-Viberg owners/experts, the 2030 last is very attractive and -- speaking now just from my point of view -- what initially caught my eye about Viberg. Again, not opposed to other possibilities, but I see what iotan is saying. Anyway, thanks very much for doing all this.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fok, what do you think the best eyelet color choice is for ebony essex rough out? Seems like gun metal might be cool, particularly with the gray undertones, but I haven't seen it in person to know and I'm not sure it comes through on monitor.

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the choice of the last, I think if you are looking at non-2030 options, 2040 is probably the one that looks most similar to 2030 but wider in the toe. If thats what you want, why not just choose the 2030 last then? There are many other last options (2045, 310, 110, 160, etc) that look more casual and sporty, and in my opinion match better with the gray roughout leather. I might be interested in the gray roughout chukka depending on the specs.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fok, what do you think the best eyelet color choice is for ebony essex rough out? Seems like gun metal might be cool, particularly with the gray undertones, but I haven't seen it in person to know and I'm not sure it comes through on monitor.
Hmmm... I would say, off the top of my head, that probably the antique brass will offset the ebony essex roughout nicely, especially if we go with the beige 2060 sole.

Cheers,

Fok.

dieselrocket

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm only interested in make ups in the 110 last. I have e-mailed back and forth about lasts with two folks at Viberg, and they believe the 110 is the best fit for me as I have both a very wide and high volume foot.

Not much to go on, but they also told me the 2040 and 2045 are loosely based on a Munson last design, with the 2045 having the more upturned toe.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first thought would have been the gunmetal eyelets for the ebony essex, but I'm trying to picture it with the antique brass, hmmmm...

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That was my thought, I thought it might provide a bit more contrast but still compliment the color without standing out to much, but wanted to hear Fok's views since he's actually seen it in person. Hoping it's available for a custom MTO (scout boot on cristy 4014 on 2030 last unstructured toe)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first thought would have been the gunmetal eyelets for the ebony essex, but I'm trying to picture it with the antique brass, hmmmm...
That was my thought, I thought it might provide a bit more contrast but still compliment the color without standing out to much, but wanted to hear Fok's views since he's actually seen it in person. Hoping it's available for a custom MTO (scout boot on cristy 4014 on 2030 last unstructured toe)

I have the gunmetal eyelets on my heather grey roughout boots, but I think that they look best on a more washed out leather. The ebony essex is a really rich color, and I personally feel the that warm but subdued antique brass would bring out the richness of the leather. I'm looking at the roughout side of the two swatches side by side right now, and I would definitely advocate the antique brass for the ebony essex roughout.

Actually, I really like the makeups that have been suggested this round so far. The loden green service boot with a brogued toecap, the tan bison scout boot on a double waterloc sole (I need to make sure that this sole is available), and the ebony essex roughout chukka on a beige wedge sole. All these sound fantastic.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy have you posted finished/fit pics that boot yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads