• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chris_fuchman

Reaction score
By the way, in NYC, Freeman's has more models in store than their web site leads to believe. I stopped by there to chat, but unfortunately did not buy my shoes there.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! First post here. Question:

After how many wears do you know you should have bought your new Service Boots a size bigger, and that this is not going to work?

I was told that the boots should feel tight at first, so between the 7.5 and 8, that both felt ok in the store, I went with 7.5

- so far have been wearing them 12-15 times, almost every day, walked 2-3 miles each time, and there is no improvement to speak of
- they feel tight but not painful when I put them on, or if I wear them at my desk, but after walking for a bit they start to hurt
- my size is 8E in Alden/Barrie last, of which I have several boots in chromexcel and shell that fit me perfectly without any break in (lucky I guess)
- fwiw, based on countless posts I found all over the internets, the only people who downsize from Barrie seem to be people who want more width from the D width, in other words: almost everyone wears the same size in 2030 and Barrie (and Trubalance)
- leaving Trubalance out of the equation because somehow my feet don't agree with that last (neither 8E or 8.5D/E fit me well in Trubalance) but I would definitely size up in Trubalance, not down

While I do understand the break in process, and I don't want to jump the gun as I have been told it can take a month, but I am really starting to think that these shoes are too small.
Any advice very much appreciated!

I'm a 7E Barrie and wear 7.5 in Viberg, I'd definitely say you should've gone 8 maybe 8.5. I once tried 7 and it was definitely too tight. Shame you put in that work on your first pair but save your feet.

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
CB0618FD-6002-49AE-8E24-C46A11046E55.jpeg

I’m always happy for rain in LA
and the odd chance to unbox the
Oil-Tan/Commandos!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After how many wears do you know you should have bought your new Service Boots a size bigger, and that this is not going to work?

I was told that the boots should feel tight at first, so between the 7.5 and 8, that both felt ok in the store, I went with 7.5

- so far have been wearing them 12-15 times, almost every day, walked 2-3 miles each time, and there is no improvement to speak of
- they feel tight but not painful when I put them on, or if I wear them at my desk, but after walking for a bit they start to hurt
- my size is 8E in Alden/Barrie last, of which I have several boots in chromexcel and shell that fit me perfectly without any break in (lucky I guess)
- fwiw, based on countless posts I found all over the internets, the only people who downsize from Barrie seem to be people who want more width from the D width, in other words: almost everyone wears the same size in 2030 and Barrie (and Trubalance)
- leaving Trubalance out of the equation because somehow my feet don't agree with that last (neither 8E or 8.5D/E fit me well in Trubalance) but I would definitely size up in Trubalance, not down

While I do understand the break in process, and I don't want to jump the gun as I have been told it can take a month, but I am really starting to think that these shoes are too small.
I'm a brannock 9.5E, and wear a 9E in Barrie last; I went with 9 on the 2030 and it fits great.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Quite the opposite for me. I was clearly going a half size too large. I'm just barely a Brannock 9 (D/E) with a fairly high arch. After working closely with Kevin at Division Road, I have comfortably been sized into a 7.5 on the 1030. I have some Bourbon Horsebutt 2030s in an 8 and they are fine, but I wish they were also 7.5s. The smaller size just gets under my arch so much better and brings my toes into just the right spot. Yes, sung but comfortable, and getting more so with each wear. I don't have any Alden experience to compare this with. For me it was working with the really experienced folks of Division Road, instead of 1000s of internet posts where every person has a different foot and preference of fit.

bootyboy

Reaction score
New Viberg x DR Noir Vitello Calf on the 1035/Ridgeway today.

View attachment 1278799
Quite the opposite for me. I was clearly going a half size too large. I'm just barely a Brannock 9 (D/E) with a fairly high arch. After working closely with Kevin at Division Road, I have comfortably been sized into a 7.5 on the 1030. I have some Bourbon Horsebutt 2030s in an 8 and they are fine, but I wish they were also 7.5s. The smaller size just gets under my arch so much better and brings my toes into just the right spot. Yes, sung but comfortable, and getting more so with each wear. I don't have any Alden experience to compare this with. For me it was working with the really experienced folks of Division Road, instead of 1000s of internet posts where every person has a different foot and preference of fit.

Honestly, looking at the pics of your Noir Vitello's (especially how far apart those facings are around your instep), I think you should be an 8 and not 7.5. But that's just my opinion. I'd also say that I know at least one more person who got sized at DR and is wearing half a size too small in my opinion.

As others have said, I would go half a size up (same as your barrie size) on the 2030 last.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, looking at the pics of your Noir Vitello's (especially how far apart those facings are around your instep), I think you should be an 8 and not 7.5. But that's just my opinion. I'd also say that I know at least one more person who got sized at DR and is wearing half a size too small in my opinion....
I fall into that group. DR told me I should consider a 7.5 in the 2030. Ended up doing an 8 when I should have done the 8.5. Always assumed that was my quirk because I prefer a slightly looser fit, but man an 8 was uncomfortably tight after a few hours.

Last edited:

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
I fall into that group. DR told me I should consider a 7.5 in the 2030. Ended up doing an 8 when I should have done the 8.5. Always assumed that was my quirk because I prefer a slightly looser fit, but man an 8 was uncomfortably tight after a few hours.
DR sized me as an 8.5 or 9 in the 2030, I ended up buying a 9 but feel like I could've sized up to a 9.5 potentially. I'm a 10.5 brannock/10 in most other boots.

bootyboy

Reaction score
DR sized me as an 8.5 or 9 in the 2030, I ended up buying a 9 but feel like I could've sized up to a 9.5 potentially. I'm a 10.5 brannock/10 in most other boots.
Now I know at least 3 people with the same problem ?

schuermang

Reaction score

I've said this before, but I'm a 10 D/E and was fitted to a 9 from DR, which I believe to be the perfect fit. I had a 9.5 before on a different service boot and was swimming in them, getting massive blisters around my heels due to the slippage. I had to wear extremely thick socks and tightly lace the boots to make it work. In my size 9 Brown Derby Camel boots, everything fits snuggly in place and they're breaking in nicely after month or so of wear.

stitchedsoles

Reaction score
Hey @stitchedsoles how you liking the fit of the 1035 side zips? Do you have any pics you can share yet? BTW I saw your IG story the other day so that’s how I know you received them. haha
I second this inquiry!

Ask and you shall receive. Finally got the pictures onto my computer. I did some minor light adjustments but nothing crazy. The full details:

Style: Side Zip
Last: 1035
Size: 7.5
Leather: Asphalt Horsebutt
Toe Box: Semi Structured
Midsole: Antique Midsole
Sole: Cat's Paw Half Sole and Heel
Hardware: Antique Brass Zipper w/ Brown Tape
Production: Antique Flat Welt

I'm insanely happy with them. They fit like a dream, the leather is amazing and has those olive undertones that really does make it look like asphalt. After seeing the Japan collection that they did I think these kind of have that same vibe. They remind me of the side zips that Rolling Dub Trio does.There are a few dents in the leather that was likely just from shipping. As a note both these and my Withered Fig Black Friday capsule boots had the heel pads come off similar to the post a few pages back after a single wear. Viberg informed me they changed where they were getting them from and had heard several people having the same issue. They sent me 2 new inserts of the old heel pads but instead I just cut some of my own out with some leather I had at the house. It was interesting that the half sole is just nailed and glued instead of stitched through but I'm guessing stitching through the double leather and thick outsole was probably impossible.These have easily shot to the top of the list as far as favorite boots in my collection. Enjoy the album and the fit pics at the end.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask and you shall receive. Finally got the pictures onto my computer. I did some minor light adjustments but nothing crazy. The full details:

Style: Side Zip
Last: 1035
Size: 7.5
Leather: Asphalt Horsebutt
Toe Box: Semi Structured
Midsole: Antique Midsole
Sole: Cat's Paw Half Sole and Heel
Hardware: Antique Brass Zipper w/ Brown Tape
Production: Antique Flat Welt

I'm insanely happy with them. They fit like a dream, the leather is amazing and has those olive undertones that really does make it look like asphalt. After seeing the Japan collection that they did I think these kind of have that same vibe. They remind me of the side zips that Rolling Dub Trio does.There are a few dents in the leather that was likely just from shipping. As a note both these and my Withered Fig Black Friday capsule boots had the heel pads come off similar to the post a few pages back after a single wear. Viberg informed me they changed where they were getting them from and had heard several people having the same issue. They sent me 2 new inserts of the old heel pads but instead I just cut some of my own out with some leather I had at the house. It was interesting that the half sole is just nailed and glued instead of stitched through but I'm guessing stitching through the double leather and thick outsole was probably impossible.These have easily shot to the top of the list as far as favorite boots in my collection. Enjoy the album and the fit pics at the end.

These look great!

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
Question:
Do you guys use shoe trees for all/ none of your boots? I have two pairs that I use for my plain toes, but don’t find it necessary to use on the cap toe boots I have. Is this silly logic? Have I no idea what I’m doing?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics