• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
Hi guys! First post here. Question:

After how many wears do you know you should have bought your new Service Boots a size bigger, and that this is not going to work?

I was told that the boots should feel tight at first, so between the 7.5 and 8, that both felt ok in the store, I went with 7.5

- so far have been wearing them 12-15 times, almost every day, walked 2-3 miles each time, and there is no improvement to speak of
- they feel tight but not painful when I put them on, or if I wear them at my desk, but after walking for a bit they start to hurt
- my size is 8E in Alden/Barrie last, of which I have several boots in chromexcel and shell that fit me perfectly without any break in (lucky I guess)
- fwiw, based on countless posts I found all over the internets, the only people who downsize from Barrie seem to be people who want more width from the D width, in other words: almost everyone wears the same size in 2030 and Barrie (and Trubalance)
- leaving Trubalance out of the equation because somehow my feet don't agree with that last (neither 8E or 8.5D/E fit me well in Trubalance) but I would definitely size up in Trubalance, not down

While I do understand the break in process, and I don't want to jump the gun as I have been told it can take a month, but I am really starting to think that these shoes are too small.
Any advice very much appreciated!

I'm borderline E width and I take the same size in 2030 as in my barrie and they are still a little tight on my pinky toe. I definitely could not size down. Based on what you've said so far it seems like you bought a half size too small

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I’m so surprised these things are still in stock

I am, too. I'm very surprised they still have these and the beaver fur kudu ones still in stock in several sizes.

How is the kudu on them?

So, to start, here's what C.F. Stead said about peanut and beaver fur kudu hides when I asked them:

C.F. Stead said:
Peanut is the Waxed tannage and Beaver Fur is the Shrunken Grain tannage, both Antelope hides – great for strength and comfort.

The peanut kudu has a very soft, supple hand, and the color is light but rich. It has scarring, color variations, and nice texture -- enough visual texture to make you think it's going to feel tougher on the surface, until you touch it. However, compared to the more wild looking beaver fur kudu -- or even Tricker's caramel kudu (which isn't quite as dramatic to me as Viberg's beaver kudu) -- the peanut kudu's scarring and variations are less outwardly obvious when you look at the boot as a whole (versus a closer examination). (See the photos below, just taken.)

IMG_20191208_112750.jpg

IMG_20191208_112829.jpg

IMG_20191208_112859.jpg

IMG_20191208_112934.jpg

IMG_20191208_112943.jpg

IMG_20191208_113329.jpg

(Keep in mind I put Venetian Shoe Cream on the peanut kudus a little while ago, so mine may be a bit shinier than what one receives brand new.)

As with anything, which one I like more is obviously a subjective, very personal preference. Gun to head, if I had to pick one, I'd go with the beaver fur kudu. That said, I think the beaver makeup is perhaps for the more intrepid Vibergian -- more marked-up, widely varying textures and creasing that make the left boot look a bit different than the right...but that's why I love that makeup (and perhaps why it's perhaps the favorite of my Vibergs so far). Here's a shot of the beaver fur kudu makeup with black laces (I prefer the brown laces on them):

IMG_20191118_193609_2.jpg

The peanut kudu makeup is for someone looking for a more uniform livery, but with some of the flourishes that can't be completely avoided when going with a kudu hide.

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! First post here. Question:

After how many wears do you know you should have bought your new Service Boots a size bigger, and that this is not going to work?

I was told that the boots should feel tight at first, so between the 7.5 and 8, that both felt ok in the store, I went with 7.5

- so far have been wearing them 12-15 times, almost every day, walked 2-3 miles each time, and there is no improvement to speak of
- they feel tight but not painful when I put them on, or if I wear them at my desk, but after walking for a bit they start to hurt
- my size is 8E in Alden/Barrie last, of which I have several boots in chromexcel and shell that fit me perfectly without any break in (lucky I guess)
- fwiw, based on countless posts I found all over the internets, the only people who downsize from Barrie seem to be people who want more width from the D width, in other words: almost everyone wears the same size in 2030 and Barrie (and Trubalance)
- leaving Trubalance out of the equation because somehow my feet don't agree with that last (neither 8E or 8.5D/E fit me well in Trubalance) but I would definitely size up in Trubalance, not down

While I do understand the break in process, and I don't want to jump the gun as I have been told it can take a month, but I am really starting to think that these shoes are too small.
Any advice very much appreciated!
I’m afraid you already know they’re too small.
It’s all personal preference, I used to really care about the perfect fit on shoes and jeans, now a little room is always better.

chris_fuchman

Reaction score
Thank you, it got clearer with your responses.

The width is not directly the problem as the leather did soften there, but the toebox felt more cramped as the shoes conformed to my feet - a bit of a simplification, but I did not expect the shoes to become less comfortable that way... and I didn't really have a way to know based on the initial fit.

And when I emailed Viberg a week ago with the above information they said it was normal and to keep breaking them in.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, it got clearer with your responses.

The width is not directly the problem as the leather did soften there, but the toebox felt more cramped as the shoes conformed to my feet - a bit of a simplification, but I did not expect the shoes to become less comfortable that way... and I didn't really have a way to know based on the initial fit.

And when I emailed Viberg a week ago with the above information they said it was normal and to keep breaking them in.

many years ago, I developed tinnitus from trying to break in tight boots.

Snugness is ok. Tightness isn’t. I’d suggest giving in soon as you might hurt yourself.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Niiiice these are fantastic

I’m really happy with them! Your natural slippers look really great as well. If I didn’t have natural shell slippers from the sample sale a few years ago I’m not sure which color I would have went with.

The included certificate with these claims the color 4 run was 12 pairs.

chris_fuchman

Reaction score
Snugness is ok. Tightness isn’t. I’d suggest giving in soon as you might hurt yourself.
Yeah, I just went back to the store to try the larger size again and compare the profiles of unworn shoes. The larger shoes are still snug in the larger size (rather than tight, nice distinction) and the profile of the store shoes is much taller than the creased shoes.

To be fair the shoes did break in width-wise - but at the expense of the volume in the toebox. My shoes feel like I have monkeys standing on my toes wherever I go.

I'm giving up on the shoes, whatever Viberg said ("The boots should feel tight when first wearing them, as that tightness is what puts pressure on the leather to expand and stretch"). Thank you for the comments!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads