• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
$1345 for the new Mahogany Shell Vibergs and they look like this on the inside after a few weeks of wear. What a ****** product. I have 14 pairs of Aldens and I have never had workmanship fall apart like this. Is this normal? Do they just not know how to make boots with a Goodyear welt up there in Canada?

View attachment 1291075 View attachment 1291077
Those look uh... fake?

Disco Volante

Reaction score
Those look uh... fake?

Fake directly from Viberg? These are not purchased second hand, they were purchased, packed, shipped directly from the factory. They are real, they apparently just don’t know what they are doing when crafting boots.

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
Fake directly from Viberg? These are not purchased second hand, they were purchased, packed, shipped directly from the factory. They are real, they apparently just don’t know what they are doing when crafting boots.
I don’t own shell. Probably should’ve stayed out of this lol just didn’t recognize the tag on the tongue / branding style on the insole

rk5n

Reaction score
It's not normal but it just looks like the sock liners came unglued. I don't see anything wrong with the insole.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
The shell itself
It's not normal but it just looks like the sock liners came unglued. I don't see anything wrong with the insole.

I agree, the insole itself appears to be fine. The liner basically just came off. The adhesive material they used just doubled over and lost its grip after only a few weeks. That is crazy! You’d think they would understand what to put on that where it wouldn’t come off after +/-6 wears.

Think a few dabs of Shoe Goo would be sufficient to fix their engineering errors?

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shell itself

I agree, the insole itself appears to be fine. The liner basically just came off. The adhesive material they used just doubled over and lost its grip after only a few weeks. That is crazy! You’d think they would understand what to put on that where it wouldn’t come off after +/-6 wears.

Think a few dabs of Shoe Goo would be sufficient to fix their engineering errors?
Shoe Goo is not very strong, I would take to a cobbler. Have you reached out to Viberg for their suggestion?

rk5n

Reaction score
The shell itself

If you're fixing this yourself you'll want a contact cement. Barge is great or most home depots carry weld wood in 4oz bottles. Clean both surfaces, apply to both, let dry 10-15 mins, heat lightly with a hair dryer then stick together and press. Just be careful placing it because if you screw up you won't be able to get it off.

stevenkmason

Reaction score
Yeah easy fix with Barge contact cement. Annoying on such an expensive pair but really not a big deal.

InternetTears

Reaction score
Yea this is happening on my MTO after 4 wears. I just gorilla glued it back and I’ll see how it goes. They changed the heel pad again.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
Yea this is happening on my MTO after 4 wears. I just gorilla glued it back and I’ll see how it goes. They changed the heel pad again.

That’s about how long it took me to notice the issues. Maybe I should give them Alden or C&J’s number so they can ask how to do it proper?

InternetTears

Reaction score
That’s about how long it took me to notice the issues. Maybe I should give them Alden or C&J’s number so they can ask how to do it proper?
The heel pads on my other vibergs are fine, but they are also slightly different. I just find it weird the heel pad can move so much because while trying to put it back in place, I got adhesive all over my hands and it was hard to even wash off.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're fixing this yourself you'll want a contact cement. Barge is great or most home depots carry weld wood in 4oz bottles. Clean both surfaces, apply to both, let dry 10-15 mins, heat lightly with a hair dryer then stick together and press. Just be careful placing it because if you screw up you won't be able to get it off.
+1 barge works great. I’ve reglued half soles that came off with it.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I have flat feet I just pull those heel pads out and put Superfeet insoles in

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads