• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
FWIW, I emailed Viberg last week about the availability of tan bison (I desperately want to recreate the SF GMTO boot) for the MTO. Took them almost a week but they responded “no” but kindly offered a couple of suggestions for similar leather.
That bison leather was awesome, they need to bring that back.
Agreed. They need to bring it back. What did they recommend as a substitute?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. The cord sole on my mushroom oxfords is also unnaturally heavy and about as stiff as dainite.

I hope it softens a bit as I love the makeup. It’s just not all that comfy. These shoes would be perfect candidates for a mini-ripple conversion by Pekin.

16B92635-7EFB-49F8-AE1D-E2D77AEBD6B2.png

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see, I didn't realize that. If it helps any, it seemed like they had every leather they've used in the past few years with some of that inventory running low and therefore potentially unavailable. See below from @Squizzy3k it may not be real time but this was pretty accurate from what I saw in May.

Nice, thank you for finding that and @Squizzy3k for posting too

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the context of up above here's the natural oiled horsebutt and the 2nd pic if I recall they had about 6 stacks of swatches similar in size. So the sheet posted probably doesn't cover some of the new stuff they've got.
View attachment 1245549 View attachment 1245551
Awesome. Thanks for that.

I think for me I’m used to most places doing the inverse where they tell what’s available then you decide if you want to order.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time has come for me to get my first pair of Vibergs. going to be a 2030 last initially, with toe cap. Black.

What I havent figured is the leather of the boot. I really want a pair of horsehide. I see Viberg has a black horsehide version at their site, which looks amazing. However, this is marked at USA horsebutt, and I am cairly certain based on research that this is horween cxl tanned leather.

Do I have any other options to go with if I want a black horsehide boot from Viberg?
I've seen Rivetandhide has a Shinki version, but I have not seen this anywhere else, and it is in 1035 last without toe cap.

Is the horween cxl horsehide considered high level leather for boots?

Please educate me if I am staring myself blind at this horsehide thing. These'd be my grail boots and I really want to make sure I get the leather accordingly.

Service_Boot_Missing_Black_P_2_2048x1400.jpg

I asked Phil Kalas of Ashland Leather, he also works for Horween as the head of operations and archiving. He confirmed its CXL. Link

Also if you do end of getting the black Horsebutt make up you should buy them through Blue Button Shop. They’re significantly cheaper than on Viberg’s website.

Last edited:

Iotapa

Reaction score
They told me the pit tanned bison was something they specifically requested from Horween. How does the Italian horsebutt compare to the Horween?

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Correct – Brian Truong of Role Club uses CXL horsehide (horsebutt I'm 99% sure).

I’m pretty sure horsebutt can be tanned with a Chromexcel tannage. Whether those on Viberg.com are I’m not sure as it doesn’t say but it looks like it has an aniline finish like Chromexcel. I do know that what Horween calls Work Shoe Butt uses a Chromexcel formula. They also offer horsehide in Chromexcel like on the Wesco x Standard & Strange Axebreakers. Nick Horween mentioned that most of their chromexcel tannages can done on steerhide or horsehide. He mentions it in the comments of this old Wordpress Article

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics