• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time has come for me to get my first pair of Vibergs. going to be a 2030 last initially, with toe cap. Black.

What I havent figured is the leather of the boot. I really want a pair of horsehide. I see Viberg has a black horsehide version at their site, which looks amazing. However, this is marked at USA horsebutt, and I am cairly certain based on research that this is horween cxl tanned leather.

Do I have any other options to go with if I want a black horsehide boot from Viberg?
I've seen Rivetandhide has a Shinki version, but I have not seen this anywhere else, and it is in 1035 last without toe cap.

Is the horween cxl horsehide considered high level leather for boots?

Please educate me if I am staring myself blind at this horsehide thing. These'd be my grail boots and I really want to make sure I get the leather accordingly.

Service_Boot_Missing_Black_P_2_2048x1400.jpg
Mr Tears is correct.

Check out this Horween tannage list for reference

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI

And someone reviewed the stone makeup (good photos there)

There’s an inconsistency where it says the total is $463 but on checkout totals up around $582. At nearly $600 I’m going to pass. Nice shoes though.

Weird mine shows $482.37 with shipping to the US at checkout

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that (the $582 above) is based on conversion to GBP but hasn't taken the VAT out? I'm tempted by the Chelseas but probably not enough to pull the trigger.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pair is Horween black horsebutt. It is not Chromexcel though Horween is famous for their Chromexcel and shell Cordovan.

The two leathers were tanned differently, with Chromexcel being impregnated with many more oils, so it’ll be softer and more flexible. Horsebutt on the other hand will feel thicker and more rigid. Chromexcel will also develop grain/wrinkles over time, but Horween horsebutt can also have some grain.

I’m pretty sure horsebutt can be tanned with a Chromexcel tannage. Whether those on Viberg.com are I’m not sure as it doesn’t say but it looks like it has an aniline finish like Chromexcel. I do know that what Horween calls Work Shoe Butt uses a Chromexcel formula. They also offer horsehide in Chromexcel like on the Wesco x Standard & Strange Axebreakers. Nick Horween mentioned that most of their chromexcel tannages can done on steerhide or horsehide. He mentions it in the comments of this old Wordpress Article

gnu

Reaction score
Any thoughts on sizing the 240 last? I'm a 10 in the 2030 and the 1035 (both structured and unstructured toes).

I can't find much from searching.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I take an 8 in both the 2050 (which most think is the same as the 2030 in sizing) and the 240. The 2050 was snug to start but broke in well. The 240 was pretty comfortable from the start -- definitely would not have gone smaller as it would not have fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads