• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works for the roper but it's not a good look for an engineer, in my opinion. Compare it to almost any other well designed engineer (Attractions, Lofgren, etc.) and it's easy to see the variety of other, nicer ways there are to handle that seam.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They use this pattern on their roper boot

I found this old pair of Viberg x Nigel Cabourn engineers that have this pattern as well

Attachments

• 3FF66038-F9EC-4380-9729-56E2A6B95A3A.jpeg
    3FF66038-F9EC-4380-9729-56E2A6B95A3A.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 79

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this old pair of Viberg x Nigel Cabourn engineers that have this pattern as well
I was googling their roper boots and it appears they at least use both as well. I don't have a strong preference for one pattern over the other. Aside from the owner I don't think anyone would ever notice the difference.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works for the roper but it's not a good look for an engineer, in my opinion. Compare it to almost any other well designed engineer (Attractions, Lofgren, etc.) and it's easy to see the variety of other, nicer ways there are to handle that seam.
I know what you're saying but that seam is not what I care about for an engineer.Clinch, Lofgren, attractions, role club to me are all about the vamp and toe in terms of design

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying but that seam is not what I care about for an engineer.Clinch, Lofgren, attractions, role club to me are all about the vamp and toe in terms of design

For sure. Vamp and toe are paramount and, from what I can see, I like the vamp and toe on this 2030 engineer. I also like most of the other details, including the shorter shaft (but not too short), the rolled top, the heel / sole combo, and the fact that, unlike any of the others you mention, this is stitchdown, which isn't better or worse but makes it a little more uniquely Viberg.

Still, I see that vertical seam as a fail. It's a missed opportunity, totally omitting one of the very visible things that looks nice in a classic engineer (the heel counter curving forward over the front, which can be seen no matter how you wear your jeans / trousers). When I look at the profiles of any of those other engineers, or vintage ones, and compare it to this viberg, it's difficult not to see some king of balance lacking in the Viberg. Which, to me, is strange given how carefully balanced their service boots are.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The split horsebutt reminds me of a wallet I bought from Guarded Goods in Guidi Reverse Culatta.

Attachments

• EAB6F2A8-62CC-45FA-B81A-BBD44BC73A04.jpeg
    EAB6F2A8-62CC-45FA-B81A-BBD44BC73A04.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 81
  • F09A5513-D14B-4890-9C4A-D45ADAA3CD63.jpeg
    F09A5513-D14B-4890-9C4A-D45ADAA3CD63.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 67

trevorplease

Reaction score
Digging the light grey horsebutt

Is this leather Maryann too? Wish the tongue was the regular semi gusseted and not lined

vettemike

Reaction score
i feel like this drop has some dope stuff, someday i'll regret feeling like i have too many shoes rn to buy anything
(brown split horse, reverse kudu, black split horse)
Derby_Shoe_Maryam_Horsebutt_P_2_1050x718.jpg

Service_Boot_Teddy_P_2_1050x718.jpg
Side_Zip_Black_Split_Horse_P_3_1050x718.jpg
Dainite soles kill it for me. So I guess I should thank Viberg for making it an easy decision not to buy anything.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@vettemike true. Would love a traditional heel like that (personally, no thanks to any of this wedge/ripple stuff) in something other than dainite.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure. Vamp and toe are paramount and, from what I can see, I like the vamp and toe on this 2030 engineer. I also like most of the other details, including the shorter shaft (but not too short), the rolled top, the heel / sole combo, and the fact that, unlike any of the others you mention, this is stitchdown, which isn't better or worse but makes it a little more uniquely Viberg.

Still, I see that vertical seam as a fail. It's a missed opportunity, totally omitting one of the very visible things that looks nice in a classic engineer (the heel counter curving forward over the front, which can be seen no matter how you wear your jeans / trousers). When I look at the profiles of any of those other engineers, or vintage ones, and compare it to this viberg, it's difficult not to see some king of balance lacking in the Viberg. Which, to me, is strange given how carefully balanced their service boots are.
I totally see your point but I'm looking at them again online and I'm actually really liking the look of these horsebutt engineers

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some questions for anyone who might know…

- Anyone know how makes the brown oiled calf? CF Stead?

It looks to be the same as the DR shoe https://divisionroadinc.com/products/viberg-derby-shoe-2030-vibram-2060-brown-oiled-calf

- Anyone know how the Italian horsebutt compares to what Horween produces?
the black, brown and grey are unlined. Is it super thick? I have the DR Brown Peaky Blinders and they’re lined. Thick but still good.

- Anyone know how Kudu suede (reverse kudu) ages? How does the nap hold up, darken, etc…

thank you in advance!

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed - Why change the old pattern? We need answers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads