• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
3sixteen Scout Boots in Navy Latigo R/O…

8EE910F3-F5A1-40B1-A546-09B40244087D.jpeg

Last edited:

Skell6009

Reaction score
Free shipping on Viberg.com with code FREESHIP until Sunday Dec 4th, 11:59pm PST. I stocked up on some new laces.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
Free shipping on Viberg.com with code FREESHIP until Sunday Dec 4th, 11:59pm PST. I stocked up on some new laces.
I derped on my last recent order and forgot to buy laces, def had to take advantage of them with this code.

pirate_doc

Reaction score
How do people size the 2005 last on the roper boot? Same size as 2030? I went same size as 2030, one down from brannock and they’re quite roomy with some heel slip, but I’m thinking with no way to cinch down it’s unavoidable. Length wise it seems fine, same length or maybe a little shorter than 1035 in same size.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do people size the 2005 last on the roper boot? Same size as 2030? I went same size as 2030, one down from brannock and they’re quite roomy with some heel slip, but I’m thinking with no way to cinch down it’s unavoidable. Length wise it seems fine, same length or maybe a little shorter than 1035 in same size.
It’s a hard last to fit. Have you tried taking up some volume with a half or full length insole?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be taken at .5 down from brannock honestly to get the arch lined up. The usual 2005 is an EE width last with higher volume and a very short toe beyond the ball. Chances are you need the 2005D width last which is only ever special order/been stocked by Japan back in the day. Viberg really should offer both options as without the width/volume to fill it out you're not gonna enjoy the last probably.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be taken at .5 down from brannock honestly to get the arch lined up. The usual 2005 is an EE width last with higher volume and a very short toe beyond the ball. Chances are you need the 2005D width last which is only ever special order/been stocked by Japan back in the day. Viberg really should offer both options as without the width/volume to fill it out you're not gonna enjoy the last probably.
Here's what I don't understand and I'm not trying to start an argument but there is always so much debate about full down from brannock or half down from brannock.

Viberg says to go 1 down from brannock. Almost every stockist says one down from brannock. Yet many here are adamant about starting half down from brannock. In almost every other brand, you'd defer to them on how to size their own boots

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand and I'm not trying to start an argument but there is always so much debate about full down from brannock or half down from brannock.

Viberg says to go 1 down from brannock. Almost every stockist says one down from brannock. Yet many here are adamant about starting half down from brannock. In almost every other brand, you'd defer to them on how to size their own boots
The 2005 last is just really short in length, its almost as short as 110 IME. I have 8.5 110, which is fine for athletic socks which is how I like my 145s, but I would not enjoy a 2005 last in 8.5. Also a lot of places don't understand brannock (non-US stockists) and are really saying 1 down from regular size which typically means sneakers which are supposed to be .5 larger than brannock, but that varies based on the sneaker brand. Also Red Wing is notorious for missizing people too small. Most sizing advice used to tell people to size 2030 like Barrie/TB.

What I think happened, as Viberg tweaked the 2030 and other changes over time was sizing adjusted to 1 down and then as they recently readjusted it back, people are still sticking to 1 down.

For example as a 9D HTT, 9.5D HTB brannock:
2014-2017 2030s (OG last): 8.5s too small/borderline, the size 9s from this era fit me better.
2017-2018 2030s (heel contour adjusted 2030s): 8.5s fit well, though 9s are okay too
2018-2020 2030s (pattern is adjusted, but the variable width 2030 hasn't happened yet): 8.5s are still okay, but a bit more snug, 9s work well though.
Modern 2030 (variable width adjusted last): 8.5 too small/borderline, 9D perfect, 9E slightly large, but better than 8.5E.
And no matter the era I always like 9 if its a GYW pair.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking Viberg's in 1 down, but I do think people should be wary specifically of 110 (which Viberg has told people to go 1.5 down from Brannock which is crazy) and 2005 which is just really short past the ball (if you have a shorter HTT than HTB it doesn't matter as much.) The reason a lot of us have been pushing .5 down to start, especially for new people, is just because its the safe bet more often than not. Often just wearing thick socks is enough to make .5 down from brannock work well for most people.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2005 last is just really short in length, its almost as short as 110 IME. I have 8.5 110, which is fine for athletic socks which is how I like my 145s, but I would not enjoy a 2005 last in 8.5. Also a lot of places don't understand brannock (non-US stockists) and are really saying 1 down from regular size which typically means sneakers which are supposed to be .5 larger than brannock, but that varies based on the sneaker brand. Also Red Wing is notorious for missizing people too small. Most sizing advice used to tell people to size 2030 like Barrie/TB.

What I think happened, as Viberg tweaked the 2030 and other changes over time was sizing adjusted to 1 down and then as they recently readjusted it back, people are still sticking to 1 down.

For example as a 9D HTT, 9.5D HTB brannock:
2014-2017 2030s (OG last): 8.5s too small/borderline, the size 9s from this era fit me better.
2017-2018 2030s (heel contour adjusted 2030s): 8.5s fit well, though 9s are okay too
2018-2020 2030s (pattern is adjusted, but the variable width 2030 hasn't happened yet): 8.5s are still okay, but a bit more snug, 9s work well though.
Modern 2030 (variable width adjusted last): 8.5 too small/borderline, 9D perfect, 9E slightly large, but better than 8.5E.
And no matter the era I always like 9 if its a GYW pair.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking Viberg's in 1 down, but I do think people should be wary specifically of 110 (which Viberg has told people to go 1.5 down from Brannock which is crazy) and 2005 which is just really short past the ball (if you have a shorter HTT than HTB it doesn't matter as much.) The reason a lot of us have been pushing .5 down to start, especially for new people, is just because its the safe bet more often than not. Often just wearing thick socks is enough to make .5 down from brannock work well for most people.
I guess thinking about Standard and Strange or Withered Fig, they suggest 1 down. But thanks for the clarity around better safe than sorry. I have a pretty standard foot, maybe slightly moderate instep and 1 down in all lasts except 2020 and the sneaker last have been good for me.
I think there are a lot of people that don't understand their foot volume as well which leads to some issues with sizing

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg used to suggest half down in the past. That’s how I first sized back in 2017 taking Guy Ferguson’s advice
Interesting, didn't realize that. My oldest pair are from 2013 and are my normal 1 size down

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Viberg’s lasts are generally wider than other manufacturers’ standard width, so not surprising that the sizing is messy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads