• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like what S&S put out
I reached out to Neil about the possibility of doing the makeup through S&S back in 2020, and it turned out they already had that similar pair in the works. They weren't all-black though (brown midsole and natural stitchdown thread), and were fully lined (which was the real deal breaker for me).

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reached out to Neil about the possibility of doing the makeup through S&S back in 2020, and it turned out they already had that similar pair in the works. They weren't all-black though (brown midsole and natural stitchdown thread), and were fully lined (which was the real deal breaker for me).
Ah, these i assume is what you are referring to?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1660512050484.png

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ridgeway on almost everything. Not a fan. I know I’m in the minority though.
I dont mind ridgeway, but they've been overusing it lately.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does Maryam horsebutt roll the best?
Well I’ve yet to see a non shell cordovan boot roll similarly to a fully broken in, worn shell boot. soo in my mind the shell is still king BUT…. Do they make Maryam horsebutt shell cordovan? I know some portions are shell if you hit the lottery with your pair but I mean 100% shell horsebutt?

now that might be checkmate.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I’ve yet to see a non shell cordovan boot roll similarly to a fully broken in, worn shell boot. soo in my mind the shell is still king BUT…. Do they make Maryam horsebutt shell cordovan? I know some portions are shell if you hit the lottery with your pair but I mean 100% shell horsebutt?

now that might be checkmate.
so 2 things:
1) horsebutt CAN roll, but creasing is the delamination of the separate cutaneous layers. Skins are multiple layers, shells are one layer. When the point of friction on horsebutt is the shell it is more likely to roll, but that top layer may eventually separate too a bit with wear.

2) you can click a boot entirely out of shell portions of a horsebutt. It would probably take 2 full hides and at that point you may as well just buy shell. Personally I want shell in the vamp only and no where else as the boot is less comfortable with shell in the quarters and wasted in the heel IMO/IME.

Is it me or does Maryam horsebutt roll the best?
Viberg seems to have a pretty good hit rate with maryam and shell portion in the vamps, but I'm still only 1 for 16 or so pairs of horsebutt to have perfect rolls, but that one pair is Maryam

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Crizzlelovesyou but do they make horsebutt shell cordovan? out of my 2 pairs, the black waxed HB doesn’t have any shell. Taupes have shell in one boot only, but on the back of that boot. It’s probably in the back of the shaft/heel counter.

the picture is in the thread gallery it’s a decent chunk of shell I guess but you’re saying not in a ideal spot

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Crizzlelovesyou but do they make horsebutt shell cordovan? out of my 2 pairs, the black waxed HB doesn’t have any shell. Taupes have shell in one boot only, but on the back of that boot. It’s probably in the back of the shaft/heel counter.

the picture is in the thread gallery it’s a decent chunk of shell I guess but you’re saying not in a ideal spot
Maryam HB hides are BIG. So the shell portion can wind up anywhere.

20220102_095054.jpg

These are my only perfect roll pair (my newest Maryam is too new).

20220721_103934.jpg

Here are my own TPR which are kinda meh roll wise. Still a perfectly good boot.

Pursuing HB just for rolls is a fools errand honestly

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maryam HB hides are BIG. So the shell portion can wind up anywhere.

View attachment 1822649

These are my only perfect roll pair (my newest Maryam is too new).

View attachment 1822650
Here are my own TPR which are kinda meh roll wise. Still a perfectly good boot.

Pursuing HB just for rolls is a fools errand honestly
How do you know the vamps on the 2040 pair are from the shell portion?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads