• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of Muschios, I received the plain toe 1035 pair I ordered from Freenote. I'm think I'm probably going to return them, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the dark discoloration on the toe of the right boot. View attachment 1740451 View attachment 1740453 View attachment 1740456
Close up shots in direct sunlight:
View attachment 1740454 View attachment 1740457
View attachment 1740455
Is that a normal characteristic for that leather?

Trim Man

Reaction score
If you intend to put some wear on them, this colour variance will patina out. Welt stitching and overall construction looks fabulous, would definitely keep them imo
Yeah I thought about that. Do you think they will even out with age? Tbh I kinda like the look of darker toe, especially in the darker indoors photos. It looks like burnishing. If they were the same on both toes, I don't think returning them would have even entered my mind.

Is that a normal characteristic for that leather?
I honestly don't know. I haven't seen it in other people's pictures, but it's always hard to tell. The rest of the leather is pretty even except for that one dark spot.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that. Do you think they will even out with age? Tbh I kinda like the look of darker toe, especially in the darker indoors photos. It looks like burnishing. If they were the same on both toes, I don't think returning them would have even entered my mind.

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen it in other people's pictures, but it's always hard to tell. The rest of the leather is pretty even except for that one dark spot.
I have some manner of mark or blemish on almost every pair of horsebutt I have across all makers. It doesn't bother me and I wish my Muschio's had as clean stitching as yours, I've already decided these must be converted to GYW when the time for a resole comes. I think only my CXL workshoe butt came unblemished and its corrected grain so that makes sense. My shinki 4s have an oil stain on the cap toe, my black shinkis have a hard to see mark on one quarter (cause they're black), my 2 vachetta maryam have some oil staining, my cloe has areas where the dye just didn't take well, one comipel has some factory spots while the other probably has some hidden underneath the polish Viberg used, and the dublin shoe butts just have a lot of character ?

If you can't live with the spot you can't live with it, but personally it wouldn't phase me.

thepatinaarena

Reaction score
I have some manner of mark or blemish on almost every pair of horsebutt I have across all makers. It doesn't bother me and I wish my Muschio's had as clean stitching as yours, I've already decided these must be converted to GYW when the time for a resole comes. I think only my CXL workshoe butt came unblemished and its corrected grain so that makes sense. My shinki 4s have an oil stain on the cap toe, my black shinkis have a hard to see mark on one quarter (cause they're black), my 2 vachetta maryam have some oil staining, my cloe has areas where the dye just didn't take well, one comipel has some factory spots while the other probably has some hidden underneath the polish Viberg used, and the dublin shoe butts just have a lot of character ?

If you can't live with the spot you can't live with it, but personally it wouldn't phase me.

Same. My only horsebutt pair has multiple darker spots.

M2AQkAN.jpg

Trim Man

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, fellas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but you've given me some things to think about.

I suppose if I do keep them, I could always polish up the other toe a bit for a matching burnished look when I'm working out the scratches on my winter smokes. :p

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice collection ... a variety of colours and styles. How long did it take you to acquire your collection?
Probably about 2 years only, I got really lucky on the 2nd hand market as that's where most of the more special stuff and older stuff is from. The stockists dropping Viberg and doing big sales helped a lot too with a lot of the CF Stead pairs too.

RossM

Reaction score
Probably about 2 years only, I got really lucky on the 2nd hand market as that's where most of the more special stuff and older stuff is from. The stockists dropping Viberg and doing big sales helped a lot too with a lot of the CF Stead pairs too.
You've done very well the over a very short period of time. Interesting, 2nd hand market like SF, Grailed, eBay ...?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've done very well the over a very short period of time. Interesting, 2nd hand market like SF, Grailed, eBay ...?
The Mr Porter black calf derby boots were off Reddit GYW; the Color 4 Workshoebutts were off here; the Mocha Shells were off Grailed; and the Boondockers, 145s, and Bobcats were off of the Stitchdown discord. Ebay is good too, but I haven't used it in ages and ages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads