• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tresdin

Reaction score
I went for the mahogany preorder in EE width. Who else went for this month's shell preorder?
I went in as well. The RTW dark cognacs interested me, but I really prefer the red undertones over the green so mahogany was a great choice. Also having the french binding and visible eyelets is a big bonus for me. Having to wait so long sucks, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
Nice slippers! I think you’re in LA too right? The secret denim is perfect for todays weather.

*socal secret squad. i think youve posted about belle’s bagels. those guys are old friends of mine. :)

hey @Crizzlelovesyou i remember you posted about some bourbon stamped mules from some japanese retailer. i think you were interested, so i wanted to ask if you found out more about them. i looked up your post and did some google translate investigating and it seems like they were released at some expo that ended earlier this month. before i start a hunt, do you have any more info on those? thanks for all your contribution to this berg community.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*socal secret squad. i think youve posted about belle’s bagels. those guys are old friends of mine. :)

hey @Crizzlelovesyou i remember you posted about some bourbon stamped mules from some japanese retailer. i think you were interested, so i wanted to ask if you found out more about them. i looked up your post and did some google translate investigating and it seems like they were released at some expo that ended earlier this month. before i start a hunt, do you have any more info on those? thanks for all your contribution to this berg community.
They were a special run for Isetan's Mens Shoe Expo in Japan. Its an in person only event and typically stuff sells out. I don't believe they'll show up anywhere outside of maybe a few auction sites based in Japan honestly. Its a real shame as those shell mules absolutely would have been a hit if they made them available to a wider audience too.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20211021_102558.jpg

Working in workshoe butt

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Wish these had a light colored welt, instead, but still a killer make-up

I’ve got so many natural midsole makeups in my collection I’ve been favoring the brown/antiqued ones for new pickups lately. I’ve even done a little bit of mild darkening to one of my natural midsole pairs that had lightened up with scuffing and wear.

I was waffling back and forth but it’s just such a great brown shell, I went for it. Gonna justify it by moving out another pair or two.
I went in as well. The RTW dark cognacs interested me, but I really prefer the red undertones over the green so mahogany was a great choice. Also having the french binding and visible eyelets is a big bonus for me. Having to wait so long sucks, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I have a weakness for midtone to darker makeups with contrasting bright brass hardware. And I love speedhooks at the top for functionality and appearance, so bonus right there. Had the Color 4 been so equipped I might have picked them up instead (or in addition), as I don’t have a plain toe shell yet.

I’d have preferred Ridgeway to Dainite for functionality/feel, but the Dainite looks better to me with this style.

Of the shells on the preorder schedule for this year, both of those Halketts look very tempting.

Tresdin

Reaction score
I’ve got so many natural midsole makeups in my collection I’ve been favoring the brown/antiqued ones for new pickups lately. I’ve even done a little bit of mild darkening to one of my natural midsole pairs that had lightened up with scuffing and wear.

If I wanted to, I could have a cobbler refinish them to a natural edge right?

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
If I wanted to, I could have a cobbler refinish them to a natural edge right?

I would think with a little bit of sanding, polishing, and waxing, a cobbler would be able to get it where you want it. I can’t guarantee it, though.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Quick sizing question.

In terms of volume, how do the lasts stack up in the same size?
Lowest to highest volume:
2020, 2040, 2030, 1035, 2045, 2055

Like that?

My 2020 size 9 pair barely fits with my winter socks but I feel like sizing up would be too much. Would a size 9 in 2030 or 1035 work?

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick sizing question.

In terms of volume, how do the lasts stack up in the same size?
Lowest to highest volume:
2020, 2040, 2030, 1035, 2045, 2055

Like that?

My 2020 size 9 pair barely fits with my winter socks but I feel like sizing up would be too much. Would a size 9 in 2030 or 1035 work?
I think that's basically right, but it's not exactly one dimensional. For instance, 2045 might be higher volume in the toe than 1035, buy lower at the instep.

Between 2030 and 1035, the latter would be the safer bet for winter socks because of toe room.

adrs1157

Reaction score
I think that's basically right, but it's not exactly one dimensional. For instance, 2045 might be higher volume in the toe than 1035, buy lower at the instep.

Between 2030 and 1035, the latter would be the safer bet for winter socks because of toe room.
Thanks. From trying the 9D 2020 last with the thick socks, I can definitely size up to 9.5 in that last.

I would like to try a size 9 on 1035. I think that would be the sweet spot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads