• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Hi friends!

I find myself with the same model Viberg 1035 in a 10.5 and 11. I Brannock 11.5 HTB and 10.5E HTT. Big wide toes, comparatively low instep and skinny ankles, possibly “flipper foot”.

I’ve worn both pairs twice so little break in. The 11s have heel slip like crazy with athletic socks (not dress socks but not boot socks either). With boot socks, the 11s feel great. Maybe a little heel slip still.

The 10.5s are difficult on the toes in both athletic and boot socks, but not unbearably so. But definitely snug. Minimal heel slip.

Which should I keep? Advice for stitchdown seems to trend smaller, which would favor the 10.5. 11 is more comfortable now but I don’t want to only wear thick boot socks and I’m not sure the heel slip will ever go away for less than thick socks.

Whaddya say?

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi friends!

I find myself with the same model Viberg 1035 in a 10.5 and 11. I Brannock 11.5 HTB and 10.5E HTT. Big wide toes, comparatively low instep and skinny ankles, possibly “flipper foot”.

I’ve worn both pairs twice so little break in. The 11s have heel slip like crazy with athletic socks (not dress socks but not boot socks either). With boot socks, the 11s feel great. Maybe a little heel slip still.

The 10.5s are difficult on the toes in both athletic and boot socks, but not unbearably so. But definitely snug. Minimal heel slip.

Which should I keep? Advice for stitchdown seems to trend smaller, which would favor the 10.5. 11 is more comfortable now but I don’t want to only wear thick boot socks and I’m not sure the heel slip will ever go away for less than thick socks.

Whaddya say?
Stick with the 11

WatchesCars

Reaction score
Hi friends!

Whaddya say?

Id say 10.5 sometimes new boots just have toe discomfort during the first few wears even if it's a perfect fit. The leather is just stiff at first. I personally wouldn't want any heel slip on my boots ever, especially early on as the fit of the boot is only going to get more loose with time and wear

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Saturday. Viberg Colour #2 Shell Cordovan Service Boots.

Viberg Color #2 Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2021-10-08 - 1.jpg

Viberg Color #2 Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2021-10-08 - 2.jpg

Viberg Color #2 Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2021-10-08 - 3.jpg

-Mike

nareichert

Reaction score
Hi friends!

Whaddya say?
Sell both and find a size 11 on the 2040 last. Seems like it would be a great fit.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Sell both and find a size 11 on the 2040 last. Seems like it would be a great fit.
I have 10.5 and 11 in a chamois 2055. The 11 is great on the toes and fair in the heel, a little slippy. 10.5 is great on the heel and instep but tight on the toes from the top.

I thought the 10.5 1035 might avoid that since it’s much rounder on top than the 2055, or at least the chamois models from last year. And it does to some degree, but not entirely.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 10.5 and 11 in a chamois 2055. The 11 is great on the toes and fair in the heel, a little slippy. 10.5 is great on the heel and instep but tight on the toes from the top.

I thought the 10.5 1035 might avoid that since it’s much rounder on top than the 2055, or at least the chamois models from last year. And it does to some degree, but not entirely.
If it's tight from the top, it may not alleviate with wear since toe boxes tend to collapse a bit, but you should try thin socks if you haven't. If you have heel slip, it can be from lacing as well, I've noticed cross-lacing gives me a secure fit, opposed to bar-lacing which tends to give me heel slip. This is of course dependent on foot shape and shoe.

Also, the 1035 naturally has a shallow toe box in comparison to other Viberg last.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the half size up Halkett has a narrower waist than my service boots and it has this:
20211010_144200.jpg

It fits pretty good I'd say.

Also 8.5 Stitchdown SB vs 9 270 flatwelt Halkett both from this year:
20211010_150304.jpg

Jalucan

Reaction score
They look great! How do you like the fit? My 2020 visone halkett really grabs my foot in a good way. I went a half size down and the waist was really tight but has since softened up.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look great! How do you like the fit? My 2020 visone halkett really grabs my foot in a good way. I went a half size down and the waist was really tight but has since softened up.
The waist in the pattern is definitely noticeable more snug than my service boots. My derby boot and shoe in 2020 in 8.5 and 9 have noticeably more waist room than my shelby in 2020 in 8.5 too come to think of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads