• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The postman delivered these gently used CXL service boots today. My first pair in the 2030 last. They fit great and I like the shape of the boot. Now there is a slight small dark discoloration of the leather on the right side of the boot. Its darker as if maybe it got something on it. I used a soft brush and saddle soap on it very gently View attachment 1643138 View attachment 1643139 View attachment 1643140 which seemed to improve it slightly. Not sure if I should try anything else. Its not that noticeable in normal light. I know this natural CXL will patina over time. Any suggestions are appreciated
CXL is designed to be beat up/worn hard. You’ll forget about the color inconsistencies in no time.

Also, every time I start to pamper my footwear I remind myself what is actually on the sidewalk that I’m waking on ?

[whispers] hint: it’s ?

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
The postman delivered these gently used CXL service boots today. My first pair in the 2030 last. They fit great and I like the shape of the boot. Now there is a slight small dark discoloration of the leather on the right side of the boot. Its darker as if maybe it got something on it. I used a soft brush and saddle soap on it very gently View attachment 1643140 which seemed to improve it slightly. Not sure if I should try anything else. Its not that noticeable in normal light. I know this natural CXL will patina over time. Any suggestions are appreciated

That's part of the character of natural (I will never, ever call it "natty" lol) chromexcel. I have the same pair and love them! Just wear them and beat em up, they'll look even better! Congrats on a nice find.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's part of the character of natural (I will never, ever call it "natty" lol) chromexcel. I have the same pair and love them! Just wear them and beat em up, they'll look even better! Congrats on a nice find.
So what do you call this?

24250937-6E39-4535-892D-06D3FA0F6DA6.jpeg

zachthespook

Reaction score
Anyone know how much chamois leather stretches? I’ve got a pair on the 2040 last and the instep is so constricting. Wondering if I should proceed to sell or keep and hope it stretches…

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much chamois leather stretches? I’ve got a pair on the 2040 last and the instep is so constricting. Wondering if I should proceed to sell or keep and hope it stretches…
According to the tannage list, chamois is 'pasted' for drying, which yields a leather without much stretch:

"Pasting is the application of leather to large glass, steel, or ceramic "plates." A plant based starch is mixed into a paste, which is used to adhere the hide to the plate. The drying process takes about 5 hours and utilizes steam, heat, and moving air. Think of a pasting unit as a big combination oven with different zones. This yields a leather with "flat," uniform grain. By sticking the leather against a medium that is static, it keeps the leather from shrinking. Good for yields, and good for products that need to not stretch - like load bearing straps."

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s stretches just a little bit as it is cow leather, but not a lot like kudu.

as that part of the boot is lined, the combination of liner plus chamois will not result in a lot of stretching.

zachthespook

Reaction score
Hahaha my dad drank that stuff forever!! In my youthful Baltimore days we had Natty Boh (aka another form of urine). Hence "natty" holds a special place in my vocab.

View attachment 1643421

Drank many a natty boh tall boy at Orioles games during my time living in bmore. Cheap and easy buzz, though I cant remember the taste(I'm not entirely sure it actually had any)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads