• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alpenglowing

Reaction score
5B1B80C0-E932-4673-A9BC-1501A30E21DB.jpeg

09E1BFDE-7B36-48F7-A412-50A2C1424DF8.jpeg

4E2A5C66-C488-41E1-85B6-604C5F4FEB28.jpeg

Dark Cognac shell boots came in today. They look fantastic overall. It’s a great shade of brown, and it’s interesting to see the higher SPI of the uppers and the outsole stitching (compared to all of my other Vibergs from before 2021). These are pictured next to some natural shell boots for a color reference. It’s gonna be a while before these get broken in unfortunately - I’m also wearing derbies most days while the weather’s warm.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
Look nice!

maybe it’s just me but I feel like high SPI on shell is scary if it doesn’t rip with wear it’ll be a nightmare for the resoler

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most resoles convert stitch down to GYW so maybe not a big deal?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most resoles convert stitch down to GYW so maybe not a big deal?
That doesn't sound right, you would need to add a welt and potentially relast the boot to do that wouldn't you? Pretty sure Bedos charges over 700 to convert stitchdown to GYW

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well not sure if that is a full resole?
He took out only the foam soles and added the mini ripples…

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1622940
View attachment 1622941
View attachment 1622942
Dark Cognac shell boots came in today. They look fantastic overall. It’s a great shade of brown, and it’s interesting to see the higher SPI of the uppers and the outsole stitching (compared to all of my other Vibergs from before 2021). These are pictured next to some natural shell boots for a color reference. It’s gonna be a while before these get broken in unfortunately - I’m also wearing derbies most days while the weather’s warm.
What is SPI?

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
What is SPI?

Stiches Per Inch (SPI) - it's a way of measuring (for some) the quality of boot/shoemaking, by determining how many SPI is in the build.

However, for Viberg's stitchdown construction, you want to try and hit the original stitch holes for a resole so the leather being attached doesn't tear; and the concern seems to be if it will be more complicated for cobblers to match the higher SPI than in previous years' construction...

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stiches Per Inch (SPI) - it's a way of measuring (for some) the quality of boot/shoemaking, by determining how many SPI is in the build.

However, for Viberg's stitchdown construction, you want to try and hit the original stitch holes for a resole so the leather being attached doesn't tear; and the concern seems to be if it will be more complicated for cobblers to match the higher SPI than in previous years' construction...
So SPI is in reference to the stitchdown/welt and not the upper stitching?

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
So SPI is in reference to the stitchdown/welt and not the upper stitching?

As a measure of quality and attention to detail, I suppose it could be used for both... however, as a metric for comparisons between shoes/models/brands, I've only seen it used for the welt/stitchdown construction.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well not sure if that is a full resole?
He took out only the foam soles and added the mini ripples…
These ones even has his signature colored rapid stitch

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads