• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thewinedown

Reaction score
Gorgeous, man. I think the pre-order Color 4's are due this month, no? I sure hope so.

The Miloh washed horsehide is out for delivery. Looking forward to seeing how that looks in person.
Viberg told me a couple days ago that the color 4s are backed up about 1-2 months. They have some shell orders and things to get through first, but they have more folks on board now and are getting caught up.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Viberg told me a couple days ago that the color 4s are backed up about 1-2 months. They have some shell orders and things to get through first, but they have more folks on board now and are getting caught up.

You pooped on my Color 4 parade! ;)

Ah, well, there's the washed horsehide. By the way, on that topic, the Miloh Shop product name reads:

"VIBERG - DARK BROWN WASHED HORSEHIDE SERVICE BOOT 2030 LAST"​

The description reads as follows:

"This Viberg Service Boot utilizes a Medium/Dark Brown Washed Horsebutt which features variation in color, tone, and a unique grain. These natural discrepancies will wear with a large amount of character over time. The end result is a patina that will be unique to every pair."​

The details read as follows:

"Dark Brown Washed Horsebutt"​

Does anyone here know if it's horsebutt, or non-butt horsehide?

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, well, there's the washed horsehide. By the way, on that topic, the Miloh Shop product name reads:

"This Viberg Service Boot utilizes a Medium/Dark Brown Washed Horsebutt which features variation in color, tone, and a unique grain. These natural discrepancies will wear with a large amount of character over time. The end result is a patina that will be unique to every pair."​

It's unlined, so I guessed horsebutt.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The horsebreech and washed horsebutts from Maryam are horsebutt strip I believe. So horsebutt sans shell, these are being made in a much greater number than ever before thanks to Maryam now launching 2 new shell cordovan lines in the past year or so.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The horsebreech and washed horsebutts from Maryam are horsebutt strip I believe. So horsebutt sans shell, these are being made in a much greater number than ever before thanks to Maryam now launching 2 new shell cordovan lines in the past year or so.
I had been told in another thread that Horween was the only tannery to produce strip separately from the rear part of the butt. That could be wrong/old information though.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been told in another thread that Horween was the only tannery to produce strip separately from the rear part of the butt. That could be wrong/old information though.
The italian cuts have always been different. They do a culatta cut, where horween does shell+strip. I believe they are now producing what is the equivalent of strip, but not called strip in that due to the increased shell production they are doing culatta cuts sans shell. I'll go poke Maryam and ask them about it in a bit. It just bugs me that they call me dear whenever I ask them something

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I put the question in to Miloh via Instagram messaging. I'll let you know what they say. I assumed butt from the description and details, and didn't want to ask first on a weekend, lest I miss out.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The italian cuts have always been different. They do a culatta cut, where horween does shell+strip. I believe they are now producing what is the equivalent of strip, but not called strip in that due to the increased shell production they are doing culatta cuts sans shell. I'll go poke Maryam and ask them about it in a bit. It just bugs me that they call me dear whenever I ask them something
I wonder (speculation) if non-Horween tanneries split the butt to get the shell, and then sell the top split all together.

Do other tanneries' shell vary in thickness throughout the shells, like Horween's shell does?

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

man, WTF? I wanted to rock them before it hits the 90s here

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder (speculation) if non-Horween tanneries split the butt to get the shell, and then sell the top split all together.

Do other tanneries' shell vary in thickness throughout the shells, like Horween's shell does?
Yeah all shell does, but that's because the subcutaneous layer isn't the same thickness throughout. I think any tannery producing shell is producing some form of north of cordovan cut, they just may call it horsehide instead of butt or have any number of various names.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my second shot and figured some Bourbon would go well with it!
PXL_20210506_173013334.jpg

PXL_20210506_194100228.jpg

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a diagram of the horse breech from Maryam

D17F4FF9-247B-4EBB-A47A-8BDB0FB2B705.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads