• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ashen

Reaction score
A few questions regarding Shinki Horsebutt.
How many colours exist?
I’ve seen black, oiled brown(new preorder) & the red brown(color 4 from the last release). Are there different colors?

Does the oiled brown darken with time like a normal veg tan?

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seen this question asked on here before and no definitive answer.
The 1040e packer last, how does this fit comparative to other lasts?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few questions regarding Shinki Horsebutt.
How many colours exist?
I’ve seen black, oiled brown(new preorder) & the red brown(color 4 from the last release). Are there different colors?

Does the oiled brown darken with time like a normal veg tan?
Afaik, shinki will do any of their dye colors on any of their tannages. Also the color 4 and brown #2 are not names Shinki uses and just ones Viberg chose for marketing purposes.

Edit: i actually wonder how much the oiled shinkis do darken over time. None of the oiled 4 examples have darkened very much that I've seen. Mine darkened just a smidge from a little VSC. They have no other real wear besides the water spotting issues.

Last edited:

Ashen

Reaction score
Afaik, shinki will do any of their dye colors on any of their tannages. Also the color 4 and brown #2 are not names Shinki uses and just ones Viberg chose for marketing purposes.

Edit: i actually wonder how much the oiled shinkis do darken over time. None of the oiled 4 examples have darkened very much that I've seen. Mine darkened just a smidge from a little VSC. They have no other real wear besides the water spotting issues.
With all the water spotting issues involved with Shinki horsebutt, I'd love to see a makeup with a leather sole, 2030 last, perforated cap toe and 7 brass eyelets. I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Leather sole with shinki horsebutt would work really well since I'd never wear it in wet conditions.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the water spotting issues involved with Shinki horsebutt, I'd love to see a makeup with a leather sole, 2030 last, perforated cap toe and 7 brass eyelets. I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Leather sole with shinki horsebutt would work really well since I'd never wear it in wet conditions.
The Shinki oiled 4 shelby sharps were 9 eyelet on double leather sole, 2030 last, perforated cap toe. I think they sold out very very fast as well.

JohnL1972

Reaction score
Yeah they needa put a warning sign that says avoid water on all shinki products.
Morning me have similar marks.

I was looking at the new Shinki preorder. I don’t see much difference in color between the color 4 and these. Preorder is a few shades lighter.

I think the preorder color that Viberg is marketing as color 2 is similar to what I have seen called Shinki whiskey color in shell. These are a pair of Mark Alberts in what he called Shinki Whiskey Shell. The color is pretty close to the Viberg preorder.
C8340D7B-A753-4A74-822A-7C46DDC8C5F8.jpeg
C759659E-51B4-4121-9C8B-46A5B5B11FC0.jpeg
C8340D7B-A753-4A74-822A-7C46DDC8C5F8.jpeg C759659E-51B4-4121-9C8B-46A5B5B11FC0.jpeg

Ashen

Reaction score
The Shinki oiled 4 shelby sharps were 9 eyelet on double leather sole, 2030 last, perforated cap toe. I think they sold out very very fast as well.
Yeah, I'm very exited to see the next shelby makeup. Hopefully that happens.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking at the new Shinki preorder. I don’t see much difference in color between the color 4 and these. Preorder is a few shades lighter.

I think the preorder color that Viberg is marketing as color 2 is similar to what I have seen called Shinki whiskey color in shell. These are a pair of Mark Alberts in what he called Shinki Whiskey Shell. The color is pretty close to the Viberg preorder. View attachment 1591063 View attachment 1591064 View attachment 1591063 View attachment 1591064
There's no red tones in the oil brown. It could be whiskey yeah, they have some crazy color names including even Lava (which is the best name for a color ever.) The dyes do behave differently between when they're finished on Shell, Latigo, and HH/HB.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm very exited to see the next shelby makeup. Hopefully that happens.
I just hope the Shelby happens. Jason asked for 2 makeups and was told maybe one might happen. I should probably follow up with him about that at some point, it's just so much reading whenever he responds, but he's really really nice and I appreciate him taking the time to type everything out.

Ashen

Reaction score

I think the preorder color that Viberg is marketing as color 2 is similar to what I have seen called Shinki whiskey color in shell. These are a pair of Mark Alberts in what he called Shinki Whiskey Shell. The color is pretty close to the Viberg preorder. View attachment 1591063 View attachment 1591064 View attachment 1591063 View attachment 1591064
Thank you for the pictures. This was very helpful, Viberg does a terrible job with most pictures of their products. Brett wanting to make Viberg a luxury brand should hopefully change that.

Ashen

Reaction score
I just hope the Shelby happens. Jason asked for 2 makeups and was told maybe one might happen. I should probably follow up with him about that at some point, it's just so much reading whenever he responds, but he's really really nice and I appreciate him taking the time to type everything out.
Yeah, I'd honestly prefer a paragraph of text over a vague reply. A sign of passion among people

JohnL1972

Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures. This was very helpful, Viberg does a terrible job with most pictures of their products. Brett wanting to make Viberg a luxury brand should hopefully change that.
They seem to mix studio shots with some real photos of their boots in the sunlight. There is usually a pretty big difference???

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, just ask them for pics directly. If its not a preorder, sometimes they'll send you a pic of the specific pair you're interested even which is helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads