• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I’m on the wrong thread, where’s all the Viberg QC and CS trolling?!?!

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when do we get previews of the 2021 drops 1 and 2? Is the .co.jp site going to update maybe? I don't think there's a tradeshow for heddels or stitchdown to preview the offerings this year.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Good one. Personally, I think personal opinions and politics don't belong in business with a few notable exceptions. That said, when you choose to build your business on a platform of social justice and advocating against all that is wrong in the world you have committed your platform and business to doing that. Now that the JL debacle has landed in his backyard, Neil is suddenly ok with suborning it. It's 100% hypocrisy.

The bullshit with all of this, is that it isn't cancel culture. It wasn't one bad decision, or one remark received poorly. It's a repeatable, clear pattern that has been going on for a while. S&S would have likely remained quiet on the matter, once again, had one of their customers not asked them to speak to the issue. Its not a secret that Niel and JL are personal friends and do significant business together. To think that has no bearing on the situation is naive at best.

Due to their prior vocalization, I find it more reprehensible for an entity like S&S to fail to follow through on their advocacy. It certainly undercuts their prior efforts and is an example that in practice, they don't follow through when they have the opportunity. You might find it laughable, I find it despicable. Suffice to say, I wont be supporting either with my wallet. I have enjoyed seeing your new post history simping for JL. You are certainly free to support whatever entity you choose, but don't try to act like this is all a witch hunt. Just have the integrity to own that you don't actually care and that it wont affect your consumerism.

As someone who has contended with anti-Asian racism for much of his young life, and even into early adulthood (it would be fair to say I'm not young anymore), I certainly do care about this issue. Though you weren't addressing me directly, I am not simping for John Lofgren.

I've gone over what John has posted and said (I think I've seen and listened to all the relevant and discussed material), and I have not seen enough for me to conclude that he is a racist, and that the immediate destruction of the man and his business is warranted -- and the same goes for Standard & Strange (even more so).

What John posted was, again, insensitive and boneheaded. Where I agree with Neil is that he deserves a chance at forgiveness and to change. It's obvious we don't all agree on this matter.

Just have the integrity to own that you don't actually care and that it wont affect your consumerism.

With all due respect, man, none of us knows each other well enough here -- none of us here has walked a mile in the other's...boots -- to say things like that to the other.

Again, I know you weren't addressing me directly, but I most certainly do care.

Last edited:

acessmokin

Reaction score
The "proof" that John is racist:

1. He doesn't like stuff made in china.

That's it. That's the list.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally not derailing us back onto topic

https://viberg.com/pages/last-guide#310 has the 310 always come in two width options? does anyone have any pics of the D width/narrow width version of the last?

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "proof" that John is racist:

1. He doesn't like stuff made in china.

That's it. That's the list.

If John has issues with things made in China because of the CCP then what are his issues with Indonesia?

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally not derailing us back onto topic

https://viberg.com/pages/last-guide#310 has the 310 always come in two width options? does anyone have any pics of the D width/narrow width version of the last?
I think historically they offered both D & E but everything the past few years has been the E width. Not 100% certain of this though as it's been a while since I've bought a pair.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, Lofgren is not a boot maker (OEM shop). His competitive advantage is Marketing and riding the MIUSA, MIJ, Made in first world country wave that's started in the last 10 years.

Everything about "first world country cheap" + artisanal boot craftsmanship is a direct competition to his OEM business model. And he feels threatened. His fight response was to rally his Instagram followers with #notmadeinChina #notmadeinIndonesia, which is making a blanket statement that all products made in China and Indonesia are inferior. And it backfired because the clown doesn't realize that this alienates his base. LOL!

I actually feel bad for S&S. They are in deep with Lofgren and can't pull out. So many pre-orders and order coming up. Can't drop him now.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think historically they offered both D & E but everything the past few years has been the E width. Not 100% certain of this though as it's been a while since I've bought a pair.
Maybe its still available as an MTO option then. I think I'd give it a chance if I MTO'd the 310 last actually.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe its still available as an MTO option then. I think I'd give it a chance if I MTO'd the 310 last actually.
For an MTO if they have the last I can't imagine(although you never know) they would have a problem accommodating you. I assume they have greatly reduced variables to maximize scale in the past 3-5 years but MTO wouldn't be subject to that kind of decision.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For an MTO if they have the last I can't imagine(although you never know) they would have a problem accommodating you. I assume they have greatly reduced variables to maximize scale in the past 3-5 years but MTO wouldn't be subject to that kind of decision.
I would hope so, though it would be nice to have an inkling of how the narrower version looked before dropping that kind of money. I wonder if they would do 145 oxfords or the 160 lasts for MTO since those are discontinued technically?

nareichert

Reaction score
Lol. He scrubbed all of his social media accounts when the world finally figured out who he was. He unfollowed dozens of racist right wing accounts on insta and replaced them with more industry accounts.
Anyways, I’ll drop it. But when you have to unfollow a bunch of racists and xenophobes on social media to clean up your image... I think it kind of speaks for itself.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure I understand why Neil felt it was his place to defend JL. Makes me question giving business to S&S going forward...
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Neil & John are close friends from what I’ve heard.

JohnL1972

Reaction score

do I buy these which are left in my size or get a pair of white‘s in cinnamon waxed flesh.
I have a pair of the bourbon Horsebutt Viberg x Miloh Shop boots. I love them. They are aging nicely. While they describe the leather as thick, the boots are leather lined. That said they are great boots.

Attachments

• 14EF991B-C935-43E9-BC11-1DD4844663B5.jpeg
    14EF991B-C935-43E9-BC11-1DD4844663B5.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 31D6515C-A051-430F-BF07-33B91B813DA6.jpeg
    31D6515C-A051-430F-BF07-33B91B813DA6.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 67
  • E134A6C0-F6F0-4074-ACD4-6E3D99020358.jpeg
    E134A6C0-F6F0-4074-ACD4-6E3D99020358.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 58

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads