• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

do I buy these which are left in my size or get a pair of white‘s in cinnamon waxed flesh.
Viberg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

do I buy these which are left in my size or get a pair of white‘s in cinnamon waxed flesh.
You are in a Viberg thread, haha. Think everyone here will say the same, Viberg

WeatheredHide

Reaction score

You should ask this in the White's thread...and then get the Viberg. ;)

I'm just kidding. One day I'll add a White's pair or two to my heap.

I'd go with whichever color waxed flesh you prefer, as those colors look quite different from one another.

Relating to you in a non-Viberg way: I was feeling an olive boot vibe last week, and it came down to two very different kinds of green boots: A White's olive green waxed flesh MP-M1 or a John Lofgren Bootmaker Military Desert Boot in olive green suede. Having recently picked up the desert boot in tobacco suede and loving it, I chose the latter.

Let us know which you pick. If we don' hear from you, perhaps we'll have to check the White's thread. :)

acessmokin

Reaction score
You should ask this in the White's thread...and then get the Viberg. ;)

I'm just kidding. One day I'll add a White's pair or two to my heap.

I'd go with whichever color waxed flesh you prefer, as those colors look quite different from one another.

Relating to you in a non-Viberg way: I was feeling an olive boot vibe last week, and it came down to two very different kinds of green boots: A White's olive green waxed flesh MP-M1 or a John Lofgren Bootmaker Military Desert Boot in olive green suede. Having recently picked up the desert boot in tobacco suede and loving it, I chose the latter.

Let us know which you pick. If we don' hear from you, perhaps we'll have to check the White's thread. :)

What about the olive combat boots

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
What about the olive combat boots

I just wasn't in a Chromexcel mood. I like Chromexcel, and really dig that boot model, but I think I'll wait and see if Lofgren ever offers that in some different hides (like he did the M-43 in that 10th anniversary special edition horsehide). Olive waxed flesh? Teacore horsehide? Some kind of roughout? Those might tempt me.

That desert boot was just too hard to resist after having worn the tobacco one for a week or so -- it's silly comfortable and perfectly proportioned. The olive one arrived yesterday, and its color is just...helllo! I'll post photos in the Japanese boots thread maybe this weekend.

acessmokin

Reaction score
I just wasn't in a Chromexcel mood. I like Chromexcel, and really dig that boot model, but I think I'll wait and see if Lofgren ever offers that in some different hides (like he did the M-43 in that 10th anniversary special edition horsehide). Olive waxed flesh? Teacore horsehide? Some kind of roughout? Those might tempt me.

That desert boot was just too hard to resist after having worn the tobacco one for a week or so -- it's silly comfortable and perfectly proportioned. The olive one arrived yesterday, and its color is just...helllo! I'll post photos in the Japanese boots thread maybe this weekend.

Yeah I got those olive desert boots, they are excellent

Turns31

Reaction score
Won't the leather toe puff hypothetically collapse a bit over time? Nothing like a true unstructured toe but I would think it would settle a bit.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score

Do you want the 2030 last? Viberg. Do you want arch support? White’s. Do you want them now? Viberg. Do you want to change anything about them? White’s.

Why are you comparing brown waxed flesh to cinnamon, seeing as White’s also has brown waxed flesh which would be a more direct comparison? If it’s because you prefer the color on the cinnamon then go with that.

I have both and I can’t find any meaningful quality differences, Viberg has a bit cleaner stitching but if you’re getting waxed flesh you’re hopefully not planning on wearing these in a dress environment anyways. It just comes down to what you want and what’s important to you.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won't the leather toe puff hypothetically collapse a bit over time? Nothing like a true unstructured toe but I would think it would settle a bit.

Leather is malleable with humidity. So just buy inserting a shoe tree after use it probably won’t collapse. Plus it’s the same type of leather used in the heel counters and I’ve never had those collapse

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Viberg Friday. Viberg Intense Blue Shell Cordovan Service Boots.

Viberg Intense Blue Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2020-12-04 - 1.jpg

Viberg Intense Blue Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2020-12-04 - 2.jpg

Viberg Intense Blue Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2020-12-04 - 3.jpg

Viberg Intense Blue Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2020-12-04 - 4.jpg

Viberg Intense Blue Shell Cordovan Service Boots - 2020-12-04 - 6.jpg

-Mike

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Viberg got back to me. All of the winter smoke calf are in fact 2030, but some of them were mistamped. I think I buy Viberg for the roller coaster thrills. No other brand offers this.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t support John Lofgren after his racist anti-Asian comments on Instagram

I’m 100% Asian (part Chinese), and I read everything that happened and what was said, including past comments from John.

I’ve also had some private messages exchanged with John (though not about this, just about boots and some other non-boot miscellany). He has been nothing but a gentleman in those missives.

While I find what he posted and hashtagged boneheaded, I was not offended to the extent that some obviously were, nor did I interpret his words as harshly as some did. I am not discounting or arguing why (or that) many were. Like anything else, we’re not going to see unanimity on this topic, and so we’re not all going to feel exactly the same about it.

I’m not looking to hash out this topic any further here other than to say that I read (Standard & Strange) Neil’s statement about this matter and my sentiment is not far from his.

I can completely understand if someone else feels differently and chooses not to buy Lofgren products. Having read it all — and having thought about it all— I will not be selling my Lofgrens and will continue as a Lofgren boot buyer. I also have boots on order from Flame Panda (which I anticipate will be my most meticulously crafted, best built boots to date), and intend to add Onderhoud, Junkard, and Renavco boots to my collection, too.

Again, I’m not looking to argue about this, and I’m not here to change any minds. I’m merely expressing my viewpoint since this discussion was brought up here.

Last edited:

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure I understand why Neil felt it was his place to defend JL. Makes me question giving business to S&S going forward...

I know you weren't necessarily addressing me, but I just wanted to say that I do understand why you feel that way -- even though I don't -- and that I've said all I'm likely to say on this issue on this (or any other) forum in my previous post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads