• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
@nsubrmnn i think most lace out of convenience; going under is easier than going over, especially when lacing all eyelets on a boot that way (I lace the top eyelet under). Loosening them after wear is a pain as well, but overall a much cleaner look imo. Here’s my latest pair, waxed laced ‘properly’ and leather laced ‘improperly’ .Also lace my sneakers this way.

edit : you can see that the second eyelet on the boot with leather lace just looks odd. It looks better/ fuller with the laces laced over, not under.
61888E80-F9AA-48C8-8027-71E5F00A0043.jpeg

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Depends how many eyelets there are. I do over-under lacing on my boots, so for even eyelets I start over and for odd I start under

I've never given the odd/even thing any thought until now.

I just looked over my boots -- Viberg, Tricker's, Red Wing -- and not a single one has an even number of eyelets or eyelets+hooks. At the moment I only have one other pair of boots on order (the Standard & Strange × Wesco Axe Breaker), and that also has an odd number of eyelets+hooks, so the odd streak continues in this closet.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@nsubrmnn i think most lace out of convenience; going under is easier than going over, especially when lacing all eyelets on a boot that way (I lace the top eyelet under). Loosening them after wear is a pain as well, but overall a much cleaner look imo. Here’s my latest pair, waxed laced ‘properly’ and leather laced ‘improperly’ .Also lace my sneakers this way.

edit : you can see that the second eyelet on the boot with leather lace just looks odd. It looks better/ fuller with the laces laced over, not under.
View attachment 1484790
I also meant the first bar lace being under as well. If you look at the pics I posted you can see what I mean

879413AF-D853-4599-A553-0E22D58B0815.png

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
I also meant the first bar lace being under as well. If you look at the pics I posted you can see what I mean
Yeah, still ugly. I realized what you meant after I had already posted and noticed the leather lace goes over initially then under.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, still ugly. I realized what you meant after I had already posted and noticed the leather lace goes over initially then under.
It’s just interesting that even viberg doesn’t consistently choose one lacing style

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do under because it's easier to lace and unlace. I don't think one looks better than the other, but mixed/alternating looks terrible to me.

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
It’s just interesting that even viberg doesn’t consistently choose one lacing style
Lacing is more aesthetics than function to me. Obviously they need to be laced to stay on your foot, but twisted/ uneven laces can ruin the look.

CMT1

Reaction score
Color 2 to start the week.

Color2shade3-Dark.jpg

COlor2shade2-Dark.jpg

COlor2shade-Dark.jpg

It's going to be a while before they're broken in since I'm literally going nowhere in life these days, but I'm still enjoying them. I have two other slippers and a mule that get kicked on for most housebound activities, but I really dig these shells.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
This is an interesting post, because I don’t think the OP realized that his shoes are laced differently on each boot

I did indeed notice it after I posted lol - hence my "sigh" comment. I remember I was experimenting with lacing one day and forgot to fix the other one. I'm not hung up on lacing aesthetics (obviously), but do like to lace my C&J and Trickers country boots uniquely British-style. And those use round waxed laces so no worries about twisting, yay!

I work on a college campus where half our clientele are in glorified pajamas and scroungy Uggs, or Adidas shower slippers and black socks, so the students do seem to think my boots are pretty hip :cool:.

Last edited:

nareichert

Reaction score
This is interesting. When you guys lace your shoes, when you first thread the lace do you go over or under?

over
View attachment 1484758

Under
View attachment 1484759
This comes down to personal preference. I think under looks sleeker and is generally what I do. I will add that if your facings are not perfectly even the bar lacing at the bottom will be crooked, which drives me nuts.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
At risk of further lacing humiliation and forum disbarment, Bourbon Horsebutt in the sun. I decided to cross over from the outside, opposite side on each boot for symmetry. No twists or inconsistencies, to my eyes. My mom would be proud.

IMG_9800.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads