• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Smaller cap means less leather being used. That extra .5" saved prolly adds up on shell runs.
I don't know if that's much benefit on something as small as a shell hide. On a big hide, like cowhide, saving half an inch here and there might cumulatively free up enough space across the whole hide to click out an extra panel or two.

But saving half an inch per toecap on a piece of shell? You'll likely just end up with a few offcuts that are half an inch bigger than they'd otherwise have been.

InternetTears

Reaction score
I don’t get the obsession with unstructured toes. I own both structured and unstructured and I don’t find any difference in comfort. The Excessive rolls that would form on the toe are pretty gross. The little celastic bump that sometimes shows up is whatever but idk if I could handle like 5 of those all over the toe cap.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t get the obsession with unstructured toes. I own both structured and unstructured and I don’t find any difference in comfort. The Excessive rolls that would form on the toe are pretty gross. The little celastic bump that sometimes shows up is whatever but idk if I could handle like 5 of those all over the toe cap.
I think when an unstructured toe collapses, it looks super sleek. Always hated bulbous little toes that look the same even though the rest of you boot has broken in and sagged, bent and reshaped. The collapsed toe is like looking at your favorite pair of broken in jeans, just very inviting.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have they always listed these shell pre-orders as All Sales Final?
1600987701419.png

InternetTears

Reaction score
I think when an unstructured toe collapses, it looks super sleek. Always hated bulbous little toes that look the same even though the rest of you boot has broken in and sagged, bent and reshaped. The collapsed toe is like looking at your favorite pair of broken in jeans, just very inviting.
Viberg shell is incredibly thick, it doesn’t lose its structure

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg shell is incredibly thick, it doesn’t lose its structure
Thought you were making that comment about them in general. Agreed its less dramatic on shell and wouldn't be a deal breaker for me on shell specifically, but I can still see the appeal.

InternetTears

Reaction score
Thought you were making that comment about them in general. Agreed its less dramatic on shell and wouldn't be a deal breaker for me on shell specifically, but I can still see the appeal.
I guess it’s different for me since I don’t have an instep, the boot would just become a plank after the toe collapses...

nareichert

Reaction score
yeah, it looks way better imo. It’s night and day to me.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I guess it’s different for me since I don’t have an instep, the boot would just become a plank after the toe collapses...

I have ridiculous arches, like I almost leave a gap in the middle of my foot print, and thus have pseudo-high volume at the same time. Sometimes the collapsing toe can cause creases or bumps that irritate the top of my foot, so I prefer some structure too. And collapsed toes look kinda shleppy, imo, but I get the old jeans appeal.

kjbc

Reaction score
Kevin from Miloh Shop just updated that the brown horsebutt service boot 2030 last preorder is cancelled because the leather is no longer available. Pretty bummed :(

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown washed horsehide is the substitute. Division Road did a run of that leather on a chelsea. Are there pics in the wild with wear?

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown washed horsehide is the substitute. Division Road did a run of that leather on a chelsea. Are there pics in the wild with wear?
Washed horsehide is fine, but it's hardly a substitute for horsebutt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads