• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshjoshjosh

Reaction score
I know this is hard to answer over a single picture but how does this fit look. These are 9.5 and I'm a 10D Brannock. I might be able to go down to a 9 but I'm worried about the instep at that point. I'm pointing at the ball of my foot. Do 2030 boots usually have this wide of a lacing gap? Just looks way more open than all my other brands.

Attachments

• rX2F9j9.jpg
    rX2F9j9.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 84

Turns31

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of their saddle tan Chromepak with some wear on them?

Last edited:

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I know this is hard to answer over a single picture but how does this fit look. These are 9.5 and I'm a 10D Brannock. I might be able to go down to a 9 but I'm worried about the instep at that point. I'm pointing at the ball of my foot. Do 2030 boots usually have this wide of a lacing gap? Just looks way more open than all my other brands.

I actually don't know my heel-ball Brannock size. Only that I have a quite high instep. When I sized down to 7.5 (1.25 down from Brannock) into the 1035, it moved everything into just the right place and it was nirvana.

Your fit looks a little like mine when my 2030 was 0.5 size too big, although your foot might be wider. I don't have such a wide lace gap. For me, when perfectly sized, 1035 is better than 2030, since I have rather narrow heels, high instep and then a wide fore-foot. Like a duck with high arches lol, which the 1035 accommodates better.

Last edited:

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't know my heel-ball Brannock size. Only that I have a quite high instep. When I sized down to 7.5 (1.25 down from Brannock) into the 1035, it moved everything into just the right place and it was Nirvana.

Your fit looks a little like mine when my 2030 was 0.5 size too big, although your foot might be wider. I don't have such a wide lace gap. For me, when perfectly sized, 1035 is better than 2030, since I have rather narrow heels, high instep and then a wide fore-foot. Like a duck with high arches lol, which the 1035 accommodates better.
Yeah most people don't. It's funny that we all refer to the heel to toe measurement as our 'Brannock' size even though Brannock themselves say heel to ball is more important.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
S&S and DR also recommend going down a full size from brannock for 2030, which seems a bit much. I think most people size down a half for 2030/1035/2040.
I ended up a full size down, 10.5 Brannock and 9.5 2030, but DR told me to get an 8.5 because “it’ll stretch”.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never really understood the advice to size for the absolute smallest size you can jam your foot into for a boot and then hope it stretches enough. So long as you can wear them comfortably, I’d take a boot that was slightly too large over one slightly too small every time.

"It'll stretch", they said.

Meanwhile...

CC7D7402-D4E7-41A1-82E7-7F2026C1BD19.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never really understood the advice to size for the absolute smallest size you can jam your foot into for a boot and then hope it stretches enough. So long as you can wear them comfortably, I’d take a boot that was slightly too large over one slightly too small every time.
I've never had a boot yet that felt too tight at try-on that stretched to fit; they all continued to feel too tight until I got rid of them.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I ended up a full size down, 10.5 Brannock and 9.5 2030, but DR told me to get an 8.5 because “it’ll stretch”.

Wow I have never heard of them recommend going 2 sizes down from Brannock. I had a long chat with Kevin at DR, and he recommended 1.5 down for me in the 1035. I then sent him photos of the fit and he talked me through it. These vital noir calf in the 1035 are my most comfortable boot. What can you say, shoe fit is such a subjective moving target, since no two feet are alike and everyones sense of comfort is different too.

ksolis01

Reaction score
I've never had a boot yet that felt too tight at try-on that stretched to fit; they all continued to feel too tight until I got rid of them.
My viberg chelseas sized one down definitely felt tight on the pinky in the first week. Now they fit like a glove. They are calfskin though and stored with one of my better shoe trees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads