• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SLAB

Reaction score
I actually find myself liking some of those new drops, especially the scout boot in bamboo suede and natural japanese cowhide

zargoz

Reaction score
Those two scout boots are the only things I like from this drop. I have a mushroom chamois rough out from several years back that is kinda similar to the bamboo and I like it but it's hard to wear on weekdays. The natural cowhide is kinda tempting but not enough to pull the trigger.

A lot of Viberg's recent releases are starting to look like $700 Timberlands to me. They seem to be doing less interesting/unique hides than they used to do and the hikers, sneakers, sandals, slippers, etc. just don't interest me, let alone at their pice point. And now I think they're encouraging (or forcing?) retailers to offer the same seasonal stock items, I don't know how it will end up. Even Division Road seems to have slowed down on new exclusives and they always had some killer make ups. I think the stockist universe is going to contract. There's going to be a lot of variations on beige available at the next sample sale.

mykii2704

Reaction score
A lot of Viberg's recent releases are starting to look like $700 Timberlands to me. They seem to be doing less interesting/unique hides than they used to do and the hikers, sneakers, sandals, slippers, etc. just don't interest me, let alone at their pice point. And now I think they're encouraging (or forcing?) retailers to offer the same seasonal stock items, I don't know how it will end up. Even Division Road seems to have slowed down on new exclusives and they always had some killer make ups. I think the stockist universe is going to contract. There's going to be a lot of variations on beige available at the next sample sale.

Agree, on bolded points x 100. I am also tired of them just "renaming" something into a more interesting color and running with that. Like "shaved" shell etc. It's never ending, and its boring. Plus, I also feel that the stockists have already contracted IMO. A lot of shops either offer less, and some have discounted-out and cut 'bergs altogether.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Could you "re-oil" chamois in the same way you can rewax waxed flesh? From the leather description it seems like they should be similar, but comparing my chamois to my waxed flesh they have a completely different feel.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you "re-oil" chamois in the same way you can rewax waxed flesh? From the leather description it seems like they should be similar, but comparing my chamois to my waxed flesh they have a completely different feel.
From my experience, chamois doesn’t need conditioning - as it’s oil tanned. I lightly brush roughout and smooth chamois after wearing them to remove any dirt etc.

Of course, no one is stopping you from conditioning it. It’d probably be fine but keep in mind it might not be able to absorb much of the oils as there’s already a lot in there. I’d just assume it’s a ymmv situation depending on the conditioner. Also it is really hard to get the even nap back on roughout if you condition it.

apl_alt

Reaction score
Does anyone have a strong opinion on brown vs. natural CXL service boot, assuming the natural has some patina? I realize it'll be lighter, but I'm just curious if they are different enough to own both.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a strong opinion on brown vs. natural CXL service boot, assuming the natural has some patina? I realize it'll be lighter, but I'm just curious if they are different enough to own both.
Personally think brown is significantly darker than natural. Even as natural starts to patina it will never look like the brown so I think you could easily own both.

Sorrento

Reaction score
I agree that brown is significantly darker. Also, to my eye the brown is slightly red in tone while the natural is slightly yellow in tone. You could definitely get both, although you should also consider whether it makes more sense to get something completely different like black.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing the DR Oiled Mocha Rowdy Horsebutt today:

20200405_vb-oiled-mocha.jpg

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a good example of what happens to natural CXL in the long run:
So... I'd say just get natural ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads