• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it.
I struggle thinking they’re difficult to wear, but love them every time I put them on.

noblewolf

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200222-005800_Gallery.jpg

Derby Boots in waxed flesh. Maiden voyage...

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse but can someone help me out and give me a quick “guide” of how to determine the correct fit for a boot?

I measure about a 12A Brannock. Running shoes are a 12. Vans 11.5. Redwings 11.5D but need insoles for proper fit. I ordered a 10.5 and 10 Viberg and they both fit well length wise. The 10.5 is comfortable and has room in the toe box. tiniest bit of heel slip. I feel like I have to tie them tight to get the vamp secured. while the 10 seems more snug all around, my feet completely fill the shoe. Just seems crazy I’m going down to a 10 (although I realize it’s more like an 11US).

Should I size on width (snug or comfortable), position of my foot in the boot, length, etc?

thanks

sounds like a 10.5 is good for you--i love a boot with room in the toebox. with a 10, does "completely fill the shoe" mean you can stub your toe by, say, kicking a wall w/ the front of the boot? if so, I'd call that too small a boot. also, what sock thickness are you wearing?

MilesMW

Reaction score
sounds like a 10.5 is good for you--i love a boot with room in the toebox. with a 10, does "completely fill the shoe" mean you can stub your toe by, say, kicking a wall w/ the front of the boot? if so, I'd call that too small a boot. also, what sock thickness are you wearing?

Thanks. I’d say there is a half a thumbnail distance to the front of the boot. I fill the shoe width wise with the 10. Wearing American trench, or darn tough socks. I don’t wear “dress” socks

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I got mine, I worked them with a round of Saphir Reno then a light buff with neutral Oro. The color really deepened and matured. It was a great morph. Now, they wind up looking like his pic above after 4-5 wears and just take a quick wipe to return to 100%
Same here. They scuff the lighter original color and I like the contrast.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MilesMW Wearing real socks, cool. Well, I’m inclined to say you should stick w the 10.5s as long as you’re not having to lace them so tight that the quarters are touching.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Background: I've got 2 pairs of service boots, the 3Sixteen x Viberg Stealth collab and a natural cxl. Both pairs are at least five years old and pretty much all I've worn most days.

Question: At what point do you just "let them go"? I mean, they're Vibergs, so they'll have value to somebody, right? Or should I just toss them at some point? (I'm coming to accept that my skinny ass legs would work better in derbys, and not so much ankle boots.)

So even though the soles are worn nearly to the leather under the Dainite and the leather's never really been maintained or "nourished" ... but there are no rips or deep scratches in the upper ... what would you do with them?
What do you guys do with your "old" shoes?

Last edited:

IronRiceBowl

Reaction score
Background: I've got 2 pairs of service boots, the 3Sixteen x Viberg Stealth collab and a natural cxl. Both pairs are at least five years old and pretty much all I've worn most days.

Question: At what point do you just "let them go"? I mean, they're Vibergs, so they'll have value to somebody, right? Or should I just toss them at some point? (I'm coming to accept that my skinny ass legs would work better in derbys, and not so much ankle boots.)

So even though the soles are worn nearly to the leather under the Dainite and the leather's never really been maintained or "nourished" ... but there are no rips or deep scratches in the upper ... what would you do with them?

I think that part of the lure of buying resoleable footwear is to... Resole it when the time comes to extend the longevity of the shoe/boot/footwear. Whether or not you think boots fit into your wardrobe or style or mesh well with your body morphology is a different discussion... But if you've worn through to the midsole I suggest finding a reputable cobbler and getting them resoled, or sending them to Viberg to let them do it if you don't trust any other local options.

I currently only own one pair of Vibergs (emphasis on currently), and intend on keeping them until my feet don't fit em anymore.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The resale value of resoleable shoes is based on a few factors.

ideally, you should sell them after 1 wearing and no more than 5. This is before your feet start creating impressions in the footbed and real wear starts happening on that outsole. This is the “these shoes will definitely not work for me” stage.

From what you described I wouldn’t expect a lot of money. Resoling shoes will add much more life but does not remove the footbed impression. It can remove a lot (flatten) but not completely. The only way to get that removed is to have a new footbed and resole made which requires almost a whole rebuild which costs more and fewer cobblers do that. If your feet are shaped quite differently than the original owner then the shoes might not be comfortable.

basically, it’s still possible to sell them but don’t expect a lot unlesss it’s a rare leather that’s in really good condition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads