• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

darkclassic

Reaction score
Jumped in to Viberg waters just last month. A few weeks later the UPS dude dropped off my fourth pair :eek2:. Plain toe goodness from 3sixteen.

20200123_190053.jpg

bootyboy

Reaction score

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After many years of sticking with cap toe and perf cap toe models I finally took the plunge on a plaintoe model.

View attachment 1324358

What do you guys think about the CXL creasing/loose grain on the right boot ?

This came to light right after my first 30 mins in the boot. I know some CXL hides wrinkle easily. I've seen this on Aldens, but I always thought the Viberg cuts of Horween CXL were a bit thicker and less prone to this.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this on Instagram from the MTO event today, saddletan Chromepak.

Attachments

• D03BAB8B-E6D0-44FD-A66C-3F9E8A54168A.png
    D03BAB8B-E6D0-44FD-A66C-3F9E8A54168A.png
    860.4 KB · Views: 83

leephil

Reaction score
Anyone know how to size for the big chunky Viberg sneaker? 1003 last I think?

Wondering if I should go with my 2030 size. For reference, I own a pair of slip ons (not the slipper) in my 2030 size and they fit great

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This came to light right after my first 30 mins in the boot. I know some CXL hides wrinkle easily. I've seen this on Aldens, but I always thought the Viberg cuts of Horween CXL were a bit thicker and less prone to this. I don't know what recourse you have because most people just say "that's just cxl" but I return them if I could out I would get rid of them.

It bothers the hell out of me and one of the main reasons I won't but anymore cxl. I have generally felt Viberg cxl is less prone to this because they pay up for better materials but it still happens. Lofgren cxl seems to be the best I've seen.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score

This came to light right after my first 30 mins in the boot. I know some CXL hides wrinkle easily. I've seen this on Aldens, but I always thought the Viberg cuts of Horween CXL were a bit thicker and less prone to this.

I think that’s the inherent gamble that comes with CXL. I don’t love it, if I could guarantee I didn’t have it on future pairs I would, although I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve accepted break like that is common and there really isn’t much you can do to avoid it aside from avoiding cxl. Didn’t stop me from buying a new pair of cxl Alden’s last week ?‍♂️

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that’s the inherent gamble that comes with CXL. I don’t love it, if I could guarantee I didn’t have it on future pairs I would, although I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve accepted break like that is common and there really isn’t much you can do to avoid it aside from avoiding cxl. Didn’t stop me from buying a new pair of cxl Alden’s last week ?‍♂️
If it were an option, I would absolutely pay extra to guarantee clean break. However, I think the idea that this is a CXL thing specifically is way overblown.

puddin

Reaction score
However, I think the idea that this is a CXL thing specifically is way overblown.

Yep, happens on most any kind of leather from my experience. Cowhide seems more prone than horse and other hides from what I’ve seen, although I have a pair of horsehide that wrinkle.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumped in to Viberg waters just last month. A few weeks later the UPS dude dropped off my fourth pair :eek2:. Plain toe goodness from 3sixteen.

View attachment 1324391
Great choice. I visited 3sixteen a few months back planning to pick these up, but I didn't pull the trigger because I was looking for something darker, like in the product shots. Still really nice - I remember being struck by how tight the stitchdown stitching was, compared to most other Vibergs I've seen.

kevenmee

Reaction score
What do you all use to polish/condition your color 4s? Was going to use saphir neutral polish/creme but it has darkened up other shell quite a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads