1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just fwiw, guys, there is probably going to be a very limited selection of zippers for side zips. Having worked not on boots, but on things like leather jackets, zippers often have to custom ordered, they are not inexpensive, and they have to be ordered in bulk. So, a blacked out zipper could easily take 6-8 weeks, be only available in certain sizes, and with only certain pulls, with a minimum of 50 zippers or what not.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. LA Guy

For the Millwright - confirmation that the decrease of 1/8" in the heel height is NOT possible.

If what we want is the lower heel, we can do this:

iI you guys want a low heel, we were given the option of getting a ply leather outside and dove tail heel which has the lowest overall look.

I am still asking about widths, but I suspect that the answer to that will also be no. With this in mind, are there still enough commitments to out the 310 lasted Milwright . Please, in addition to posting here, email me at styleforummarket@gmail.com so that I know who is committing to that purchase.

Cheers,

Fok.

3. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Here[​IMG]
    are my Viberg 90 Stallion boots in rough-out black oil tan again...probably why I prefer a grain-side-out, blacked-out version of the side-zip....

1 person likes this.
  4. vettemike

vettemike Senior member

Fok,
    Can you post a photo of the ply leather sole and dovetail heel? I would like to see an example before I commit.
    Thanks

5. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Can we just let the readjusted specs ride via the online vote? It's no different than any other proposition. If people don't vote it's just not meant.

6. LA Guy

Yeah, that's what I am going to do. Excepting @linafelt (sorry man), people seemed happy with the makeup as is. I think that messing around with it right now will just break that near consensus, and I had said that we should assume that the adjustment was not possible.

You can look up "dovetail heel" in viberg.com. It's not any different from that, incidentally, just for education's sake.

7. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Ah well, I guess the princess was wrong -- dreams don't come true...

8. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

tbh I didn't have much hope for that modification. I'm out :(

9. Graemsay

Graemsay Senior member

I know it might be a pain to do, but you could always get a decent shoe repairer to shave off 1/8" off the heel height after purchase. It could even be done when you need to get them repaired / re-heeled down the line.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  11. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

I, of course, am sorry that some folks aren't getting their dream boots. To quote Pope Francis, "Who am I to judge?" That eighth of an inch might be very apparent to someone with extremely refined tastes or very narrow openings in their footwear rotation.

I also want to commend Viberg for putting function over form. Lasts are designed to work with a specific height of hell for optimal fit and all-day comfort. It might not seem like a lot, but lasts are made to surprisingly precise measurements. I doubt it would have been any significant amount more of work to lower the heel, so I doubt it was economic--Viberg has smaller heels on other boots, so they must have a stock of nails in then right length, for example.

I also can imagine why they might have done a lowered heel as a single MTO for somebody. If that person knew what he wanted and accepted the consequences, then give him what he wants--the boots are made just for him. With a GMTO, you are saying this is a real product, if even a very limited edition one. People might join the GMTO without fully understanding the consequences of the lowered heel. People are more likely to turn right around, reselling them, than an individual MTO, to a potentially unsuspecting buyer.

12. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

1/8" the Dream Smasher

1 person likes this.
  13. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Like the man said: "Hope springs eternal (every once in a while..)."

Yeah, I am thinking of that. But first off it's sinking anohter $120 into the boots. More importantly, you in all likelihood ruin the very nice and tight heel stack that Viberg is so good at -- especially with the curved heel, where the flats are not all exactly the same width.

I had two different pairs with the standard heel -- one with Dainite, one with double leather sole and cat's paw heel. Both felt like high heels to me.

As far as function, the word is of course that with certain lasts if you don't have a higher heel you feel like you're walking uphill all day. Which is true, but I don't quite buy it at 1/8" (or even 1/4" to be honest), I don't think the precision is quite so extreme. Remember how White's used to refuse to lower their heels, saying that it wouldn't work, and then they started offering 1/4" lower and lots of us prefer that immensely (others don't).

Anyway, I am not trying to argue about it, clearly it's been decided and that's fine. Would've been nice to get it, but such is life. I am still trying to decide if I will be in or out with the Millwright, but I suspect out. May depend on whether they agree to E widths as well as D. Honestly, I can't imagine why they wouldn't agree to that, but Fok thinks otherwise, and he knows them better than any of us.

Whether I am in or out, I do hope the boot gets made and that folks love it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  14. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

If only we could do a smoke kudu side-zip with a black zipper and blacked out everything else... (sorry, FoK. I know you have let us know what leathers are available.)

I understand the zipper issue. I don't know if others care as much as I do. I think the zipper color is a good way to make things more interesting, so it would be nice to know what options are available.

Regarding full grain vs roughout vs suede, I actually think suede looks the best, but I live in a wet area where it might be a PITA to deal with. I prefer roughout and suede to full grain, though, because I feel like full grain is the least interesting and most common type of Chelsea already on the market.

As far as as the antique midsole, I would rather it be all black but I'd compromise and just do it myself if necessary. I think that's reasonable.

15. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Long overdue but I finally got my freeman x viberg boots re-soled. I hated the fact that the original christy sole was so heavy so I went with a lighter one from Dr Sole. Cobbler in OC did a great job. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

16. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Nice. That's a nice collab boot right there.

17. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

Earlier this year, this boot sold out at Notre so quickly my head is still spinning today. It's such a great boot and I'm still sad that I missed it. Fok, do you think it would be ok to consider this as a possible candidate for the GMTO? It's not exactly a collaboration boot and we actually came up with it a few GMTO's back in dark brown. The natural waxed flesh is so f-ing hot! I still can't believe how fast this boot sold and now it's nowhere to be found:
    [​IMG]
    Natural waxed flesh on the 110, commando sole. Considering how fast it sold at Notre, I feel like we might be able to rally enough support for it. What do you think Fok - don't you wish you had gotten a pair?

18. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

I have this boot and love it. It's one of the three pairs of Vibergs I have. It will definitely see some wear this winter.

19. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I have the brown "fat" waxed flesh boot onthe 110 from the last GMTO on Commando and it is my favorite Viberg of my 6. Commando is very comfy...Oh, and I would wear it for 3 hours at a time walking around the flea market then the rest of the day/night in the summer!...Anyhow....

That is why I wanted to do a black waxed flesh. The way my BWF is patina-ing, I thought, if a black boot did the same it would look boss.

That Natty waxed flesh got my attention quick but I dawdled cause I wasn't sure if another brown WF was redundant...and zip it was gone.

No one except billymax liked the idea of Black WF.

Brown Fatty Waxed. I don't think I'm gonna re-wax them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't y'all think a black waxed flesh boot would look good? Is it a common Viberg leather?

3 people like this.
  20. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

I think Black WF would look good. I think it's just the roughout side of any black leather that then has a wax applied to it, so I'd imagine it's common.